NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Nautique re-wire

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Nautique re-wire
    Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:48pm
EDIT** skip to 3rd post for re-wire.
1978 Fish nautique.
ok dont' leave yet, these came with almost the same wiring setups as the skis of that same era i would think so read on!
351 W.
has a prestolite distributor, and an internally resisted eccell coil.

problem:
coil gets molten lava like HOT and would shut down after about an hour of use. leaving me to throw a bag of ice on it and wait for it to cool, then drive another couple miles only to have it crap out again.
under higher RPM it seemed to hold its integrity but at idle and off idle speeds it would just jones out and die.

Solution:
After talking with MSD on the phone I decided on the MSD 8222 coil which is an epoxy coil and can be mounted sideways. It is not internal resisted though. so i also purchased a couple 8214 resistors.
I know they are a fail point so i got some extras to keep aboard.
started to install and.....
NEW problem,
WTF is going on with my wiring?!
I'm going to quickly explain what i have, but I will draw a quick diagram because nothing like this exists anywhere on the internet and i can't make heads or tails of it all.
coil has 4 wires,
two blacks going to the -
a purple and a red going to the +
red goes to dist
one black goes to dist
one black goes to tach
purple, Now this gets interesting
purple heads toward the stern (where ballast resistor would have been)
then it has a spade connector going to nowhere. right before the spade it is spliced to a grey wire that heads to the hour meter. then is jumped between the other gauges.

i am up[loading some pictures now, i have to figure this out. and i am at a loss aside from replcing the entire ign circuit.

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 3:33pm
WOW, so i have taken every zip tie and loom off of this thing and pulled an absurd amount of unused wires out of this harness so far. I think i may have solved my issue though. but i will still post up the pictures to show what i found.
SO it would appear the P.O. installed the new coil and instead of just bypassing the resistor he used a crimp jumper from any 12v+ wire he could find and jumped it to the purple wire. and instead of leaving the old wire like he did every other unused wire he must have removed it because there is no sign of it being there.

the first picture is what WAS there,
the second picture is what I am going to do to fix this for now. the rest of the wiring will eventually need straightening out but thats for another day i think.

first pic
https://www.flickr.com/photos/84661798@N03/16624189374/in/set-72157641208984473

second
https://www.flickr.com/photos/84661798@N03/17246650445/in/set-72157641208984473

and does anyone recognize this? it was disconected but one side of the wire went to the ignition, was this an old resistor for the coil?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/84661798@N03/17059124600/in/set-72157641208984473
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 3:29am
figured an update was in store for this since my coil replacement quickly became a COMPLETE re-wire
This project started a week ago when i decided to replace the coil in this boat.
I started un looming wires and decided to just cut EVERYTHING out and replace it all.
heres what i was working with and its easy to understand why i went as far as i did to simply replace a COIL.
stupid stuff like wires going nowhere and cut on either side of a zip tie out of sheer laziness.

speaker wire used as power wires,
it was a mess, these pictures were taken after i took some stuff apart but it was not a far cry from what is shown.

finished up under the console today, got a new blue sea switch panel fully waterproof, a switched + buss bar on the right and a ground buss in the middle. also installed a small buss bar on the left side that will always be hot, this is what will power the bilge pumps.
every circuit is properly protected now, and I got rid of the amp meter and will be trading it in for a volt meter once i can find one that will match up fairly well.
ign wires are all 12AWG instead of the 16 that went to a 14 that was crimped to another 16 and then jumped to a 12.?! I havent labeled everything yet but it will all be clearly labeled when its finished up.

I cut a quick stainless switch panel out of a piece of a shelf i had taken off a grill that was in the trash, it came out well, i sanded it with 400 grit all in one direction to give it a brushed look.

Still have to put my exhaust back together and make a battery tray and mount the battery switch and pumps. I'll post some pictures once thats all done.
-Tony
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 3:37am

also wanted to add that every spade connector got filled with dielectric grease before connecting it, and once all the labeling is done i have an aerosol can of dielectric grease that puts a nice film of protectant over all of the connections.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 9:20am
Wow, huge improvement!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 7:35pm
Tony,
Yup, it's sure a BIG improvement and you will get plenty of life out of the rewire. Did you use marine grade tinned wire? The use of dielectric in crimp-on's has always been a concern. Keep in mind it's an insulator and does not improve the connection at the crimp and just keeps the moisture out. Heat shrink adhesive lined crimp-on's with the marine wire is a major up grade from what the factory did. Even better and what I have started to use are the heat shrink solder filled crimp-on's. When shrinking, the low melting point solder flows out and makes a fantastic connection.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 9:46pm
Thanks guys, I hope it lasts me a long time. all the wire is Ancor brand wire and Ancor brand crimps, I get a pretty good break on that stuff through kellogg so that was a big help. The markup on marine wiring supplies is enough to make you puke.
Everything below the deck line that had to have a crimp got the shrink wrap crimps from ancor. and everything you see in that picture is well above waterline and will never have a chance of being submerged so i didn't bother with the shrink on all that. I have wired a few boats and i use the dielectric and wd-40 method on everything ive done it has lasted the test of time. not looking to help conductivity when putting it inside the connectors but i have seen a lot of bad grounds caused by corrosion forming on them over time. the grease forms a nice little environment for the connectors to live out their lives inside.
The engine harness came out well, and sure as the ocean is deep after i snapped that picture and loomed all of the wiring nice and neat i realized i forgot to attatch two ground and had to cut a good portion of the zip ties just to add two wires haha. it never fails.

One thing i have found over the years to be more important than anything is to not strip the wires further than necessary when putting on crimps. I like to burry the wire into the crimp as far as possible and have nothing protruding out the front and the sheathing butted right up against the crimp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:42am
Tony,
It's great to here you used the best for your re wire. As mentioned, it will now last for years.

I've often wondered how much $$$ it would have added to the cost if CC had used marine wire and decent high end terminations?? Oh, and heavier gauge battery cables too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 8:59am
use of tinned wire and waterproof fuses etc wasn't so common when alot of our SN and BFNs were built. In the commercial fishing boats of that era it was a regular thing to rip out and replace every wire in a vessel every 4-5 years. This wiring will last me the rest of my career with this boat and the next owner as well.
Saltwater has a little more going on in it other than the corrosion of salt itself, and that is electrolysis, and its often overlooked with this size boat but truth is it doesn't matter the size of the boat. Everything is effected by it. So a proper bonding is in order for this boat as well in this coming season.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 9:53am
Very nice work there........
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 12:21pm
Nice job! I like sanitary wiring. I too have a Fish Nautique that looks a lot like Day Tony's "before" picture under the console. Fortunately, I have a brother that wires F-15's for a living and he is going to tackle the re-wire project. One concern that he and I have discussed is the fact that the console housing the electrical panels and a lot of the wiring is also the engine cover on the Fish Nautique. While above the water line it is still subjected to a lot of heat and engine fumes in addition to the corrosive salt water environment. There is also a lot of movement as the console must be hinged over for maintenance and we also do it during the initial start-up each day for a visual inspection. Given the environment I believe if one gets 6 - 8 years of live out a wiring job we should be pleased.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

use of tinned wire and waterproof fuses etc wasn't so common when alot of our SN and BFNs were built. .

Maybe tinned wire wasn't "so common" but it's been around since the K&T era!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

use of tinned wire and waterproof fuses etc wasn't so common when alot of our SN and BFNs were built. .

wasn't so commonly used i should have said,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 12:30am

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

wasn't so commonly used i should have said,

In the commercial fishing boats of that era it was a regular thing to rip out and replace every wire in a vessel every 4-5 years. .

Not commonly used by not so smart fishermen. I would think after the 1st replacement they would figure it out!! It's the labor that costs big and not the materials!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 1:10am
10 15 minutes of work using an extension cord,some wire nuts and tape
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 2:09am
mountain man your right, technically the console is still the engine compartment, I opted for the standard crimps and connections up under there, they will still last a good long time I am hoping. and i open that hatch every time before i start up(mostly because my blowers never worked before i did this rewire).
And this years everyday ritual before starting up will now include use of the blower as well as to give the wiring a good squirt of WD.

Also Pbrain It doesn't matter if you use gold plated platinum wire, if its on the ocean it is not forever,
Those who work in the commercial fishing industry will put as many hours on their boats in one or two seasons as some of these ski boats will see in a lifetime. and every hour of run time is an hour of exposure. so you really cant compare the two. Realistically; to R&R your boats wiring every couple of years when your work is a 10 hr steam away from nearest land and all you have to rely on is whats in that vessel to get you there and back than i would disagree and state that those fishermen are being smart and not so dumb as you may think.

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

10 15 minutes of work using an extension cord,some wire nuts and tape

I did not find any wire nuts, but there WAS some romex in that bilge when i started.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 7:27pm

Also Pbrain It doesn't matter if you use gold plated platinum wire, if its on the ocean it is not forever,
i would disagree and state that those fishermen are being smart and not so dumb as you may think.

there WAS some romex in that bilge when i started.

I see they are now utilizing the latest in marine wiring techniques!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 8:54am
finished up the re-wire, wanted to share the finished pictures now that i had time to upload them.

thats all under the dash stuff without the cubbys installed.

this is the battery box with the fuses and switch.
used maxi fses and a peice of rubber to cover them from getting wet from above.

everything tested perfectly, ended up replacing the ALT too because the nut was seized on the stud and i couldn't get the new harness to bolt on.
going to have it fixed and i'll have a backup Alternator which is always a good thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic