Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'81 SN 351 conversion to Lexus 1UZ-FE VVTi

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kthackwray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '81 SN 351 conversion to Lexus 1UZ-FE VVTi
    Posted: February-11-2014 at 4:16am
Hi all
Awaiting feedback on the 351 rebuild but I am not too optimistic as the old pistons had .060 stamped on them (max oversize I think )

So in the mean time I am checking out the viability of converting to a 1UZ-FE VVTi motor which I can source locally for around $1800(fully wired with ECU etc.
I found some guys in Aus who make an adapter from the 1UZ bell housing to the Velvet Drive AUD650 www.cassellmarine.com.au

They also do the wet pipe headers for the 1UZ AUD1000 - a bit expensive I think - I have Edelbrock wet pipes for the 351 which I will try have modified as a first option.

In addition I will need a fresh water pump - still looking to see which will fit the 1UZ belt setup the best and a high pressure fuel pump (fuel injection )

This is a really smooth mill and 216 kW (290 hp) and 407 N·m (300 lb·ft)
should have plenty of power
Plus using modern technology has to be more efficient and it is an aluminium block so a lot lighter
Anyone else done one of these conversions ?
Any gotchas ?
Reasons to stay away ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 9:33am
1. It'll spin the wrong way. The original engine in that boat was a reverse rotation (RH) engine, and the hull was meant to turn a RH prop. Running a standard rotation engine and a LH prop will physically move the boat forward, but the boat will not handle properly.

2. Special marine components are not going to be available for that engine. Exhaust manifolds and cooling system and fuel system are the 3 big ones as far as functionality goes. Alternator, starter and distributor (possibly fuel system components) are the big ones as far as safety goes. Fuel components need to prevent leaks/overflows and electrical components need to have spark arresting features to prevent you from blowing yourself sky high.

3. Tuning... I would not assume that you can drop an EFI engine with an automotive tune on it and expect it to run properly (or reliably). The applications are very different. There would be a huge learning curve in dialing it in- if you dont have the expertise yourself, this could get very expensive... at the least, for someone else's time to tune it for you, and at worst, in replacement parts as you trial and error the settings (and break things).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:36am
There are some Lexus boats on Youtube. Not sure if that is the same engine but they do sound good.

Probably going to be way to much money VS sourcing a correct engine.

Did you take the engine to the machine shop? There is the outside chance the bores are still round and could be cleaned up with a good hone and maybe some new slugs.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 11:54am
Maybe you could find some used parts from a 90's Toyota Epic boat. It had the Lexus engine in it.
Tim D
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 1:19pm
Boats need torque to move them. The Lexus is a great engine but low end torque is not the strong suit. The 351W would make great power at low RPM, the Lexus is best at high RPM. Your boat will spend a lot of time between 1800 and 3500 RPM, I would match your engine choice to the RPM you plan to run and have strong torque available in that range.
Cost wise I think you are way ahead to find another 351W block or if not available a 302, you can always stroke a 302 to 348 and keep the torque available, 302 blocks are much more common than 351's and the camshafts for a 351 are interchangeable in the 302.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Boats need torque to move them. The Lexus is a great engine but low end torque is not the strong suit.

I too would be concerned with the torque. "Modern" engines tend to be high RPM/HP and low torque.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kthackwray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthackwray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 3:34am
Thanks for all the feedback. - This would obviously be a last resort.
I was just trying to see if this was something that had been done before and if anyone had any lessons learned.
I am still waiting for feedback from the machine shop and before I make a call either way.
And looking around for a donor 351 block in case.
Cheers Kenny
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Boats need torque to move them. The Lexus is a great engine but low end torque is not the strong suit.

I too would be concerned with the torque. "Modern" engines tend to be high RPM/HP and low torque.

Meh, it'd be fine power-wise if he could ever get it hooked up and running. Toyota was putting the 4.0L V8 in their 21' Epics in the mid-late 90's and they did ok. It would be plenty for a 18' SN. A smaller displacement engine with a higher max hp would just be propped down relative to a stock 351w.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 3:33pm
The hard part will be getting the fuel injection system working in a boat. Making it run is easy, making it run well is much harder and it will take a good tech to remap your fuel curves. Might cost as much as the needed new block. Modifying the cooling system will take some creativity also, but as mentioned you might find a donor from the old EPIC Boat. I have never seen one on the water but I remember reading about them when they came out.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 4:21pm
Add to all the above is figuring out motormounts,does not seam like a worth while project
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Meh, it'd be fine power-wise if he could ever get it hooked up and running. Toyota was putting the 4.0L V8 in their 21' Epics in the mid-late 90's and they did ok. It would be plenty for a 18' SN. A smaller displacement engine with a higher max hp would just be propped down relative to a stock 351w.

I know those Epic boat's would spin close to 6000 rpm WOT on the big end they were supposedly pretty quick.

Like Tim has said before, if propped correctly the low end isn't so much of an issue because you get a big flash of rpm right when you smack the throttle down kind of like a car with a high stahl converter.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 6:45pm
Sounds like good clean fun to me, those guys in AU sell pretty neat kits for a couple fi motors that include mounts, pulley sets, pumps, exhaust, etc.. everything minus the velvet drive, don’t know if that is what they have for the lexus or not but I know they aint afraid to make something work. It’s not a terribly practical project but it ain’t rocket science if you really wanted one and could stomach the cost and chance of a few iterations to make it right.      
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 7:45pm
Joe would something like this would be classified "as good clean fun" ??

Rolco Marine make a kit to convert the Lexus to marine engine.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 8:22pm
That should make an abundance of torque! I don't know how you're going to fit it all under the dog house, may as well go for the v drive conversion while you're at it!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Rolco Marine make a kit to convert the Lexus to marine engine.

Mark,
Is that a actual flame arrestor on the intake or do you guys down there just live on the dangerous side?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 6:51am
This is not a example of the Kincaid Rolco Conversion. It was more of a project for the owner. Yeh Pete we like to live on the edge downunder

Would have done well in the speed runs at CCFan reunions though    
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 11:10am
That motor looks like it has two big funny looking flame arrestors on either side ;).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 11:40am
would love to hear that bad boy running WOT. The turbo whine must sound sweet.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2014 at 11:23pm
Don't know how I missed these pics earlier, we have a turbo or 2 show up at the drag boat races every year and they pretty much sound like eveything else, BBC with an open exhaust. The only difference is when the get out of it at the end you hear the turbo whine just a little.

I think I just figured out how to fill that extra space the Excel with something other than ballast, looks like the perfect fit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic