NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge Paint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge Paint
    Posted: March-29-2006 at 2:37pm
Anyone have a recommendation on bilge paint? I'm doing a little glass work in there and will need to paint over it.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 3:29pm
Chuck, You can color your resin with a little gelcoat. Might take a little experimenting but I would guess a little bit of black gel would get you a nice grey colored bilge. You'll never have to worry about the paint flaking off.

Very durable and stands up to any cleaners, much better than paint
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2006 at 8:09am
I use this...

Interlux Bilgekote
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2006 at 8:07pm
    Our local body shop does Jet ski repairs and said he has tried ALL paints designed for this purpose and says that if left in the water a while, it will start to bubble (like a rash) then fall off. Now that I think about it, Our Jetski factory paint has done the same, as well as I was noticing on other painted boats. Gel coat is a much more durable in my opinion. My .02
                                      Jeff..
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2006 at 6:50am
I have had good luck with the Interlux. I repainted the entire bilge on my '77 back in '90 when I did the restoration and currently, the paint is in perfect condition other than where subsequent repairs have been made.

Keep in mind that gelcoat will eventually blister if left submerged for prolonged periods of time.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2006 at 7:49am
Thanks for the input, helpful as always. I'm leaning towards the Bilge paint for now since I am not able to get to all the bilge. If I ever pull the engine . . .
I need to get some old paint off before I fiberglass, I'm thinking I'll try some stripper.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic