Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

teak oils

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: teak oils
    Posted: January-29-2006 at 6:06pm
just curious on brand everyone uses....so many to choose from....any before and after pics?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 6:31pm
Ryan,

there's a photo of my platform on this thread. I use MaGuires Gold Teak oil although I think your results are determined by how clean you get the platform before you apply it. Mine was pretty bad so I skipped cleaning it altogether and sanded it down. I used a brass wire brush after sanding it to bring the texture of the teak grain back and then oiled. That was done when I winterized the boat and I have put a coat of oil on it each month this winter to really get some oil back in the wood.
Teak Platform
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:54am
i use starbright but if your teak is real bad bad the 3 step kit and a brass wire brush wow does it work had a guy tell me to use a brass brush for scrubbing and man did it come clean. it looks awsome and really bright not dull at all.. and dont forget to pick a little elbow grease at the nearest hardware store.. j/k

mike
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:59am
I use linseed oil instead of traditional teak oil....it gives the wood a lighter color finish than teak oil.
Life is Good.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 11:27am
nauti-ease teak oil and amizon gold are lighter colored teak oils that are not as dark as most others. Also the is Teak Guard that looks and last the longist, but if you have used certin products on it already they say not to use it you'll have to check their website for what they are I don't recall what it is.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 3:01pm
thank you guys for all the help...bought my first sn this past october, only got to test run it so im getting excited..ripped out all the seats and have them clean so next project is the swim platform. i think i like the darkness of the meguires, so i will give it a try.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 3:10pm
Ryan,

I use the starbright products...cleaner first. The time you spend cleaning (sanding if needed) will make a huge difference in the end result!
My last purchase a 72 ...the platform looked nasty...I sanded a bit and cleaned it with teak cleaner(starbright)...it looks like new now!30 plus year old platform...teak is amazing !
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 5:51pm
what are you guys sanding it with? what paper and grit?....by hand?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 7:41pm
Your just sanding wood right? by hand...180 followed by 220 is what I used. Not much to it ...not much time involved!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 8:52pm
Just a different take, but I used Messmers Clear on my IPE dock decking, and it looks incredible. I'm thinking of using the same on my teak platform when I get the boat here next month.

captinr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captinr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 12:55pm
I have tried just about everything out there and dollar for dollar boiled linseed oil seems to work the best. My swim platforms never turned gray.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 1:04pm
I don't sand mine. I use a two part solution to strip it. The first is acidic. Rub it on with a sponge, let it sit for a few minutes, and then put on the second which is a base to neutralize.
Rinse it thoroughly with the hose and wait to dry before you begin applying teak oil. It's all I've ever used on my boats, and it works great. You do have to be careful not to get the solution on the painted support brackets as it strips the paint. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 9:45am
bkh, can you give a little more info on the composition of your two part solution? Do you have to be careful to keep it off of the gel coat as well? I'd like to do my swim platform, the rails along the sides of my boat, and the cup holder on the engine cover too. I can tape off the gel coat along the rails (will it eat through tape too?)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 9:49am
do a search and there is a huge thread on this that explains everything you need to know. its TPC and amonia or bleach or both don't remember exactly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 10:13am
Dank,

I buy it from the boat dealer. It is marketed specifically for refinishing Teak. I'm not at home but I can look up the brand later. I know the two bottles are t*tled Teak A, and Teak B.

I've never got it near the gel, nor have I read the label for that precaution. I always take off the platform, and do the work in my garage. Once I let the solution get on the brackets, and it peeled the paint. No problem, I just unscrewed the brackets, spray painted them, and good as new. I would think that it would eat tape, etc.

I'll try to get the brand this evening.

I'm sure 79 is right, you could probably make it if you knew the ingredients.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 11:27am
i have just cleaned the platform on my 80 barefoot with a single step cleaner, brush it on, leave for 20 -40 mins, scrub and wash off with water. it is very mild but cleaner in up a treat. I am now going to finish it with a product called D1 from i think Deks Olje.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 11:36am
It took me a little while, but I found this article. It might be helpful to some.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 12:02pm
I've never been a big fan of the starbright product lines. They just don't seem to work as well as other products on the market. I've used some of there wax products and the teak oil, and pretty much through them in the trash after using them.
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 2:12pm
Hi guys,

Im getting ready to do my platform. It turns out the previous owner used a varnish type product for the 18 years he owned it.
Any ideas how to get this stuff off? Sanding, chemicals what ever. I'm not to familur with the starbright stuff. Will that take off the varnish too?

TIA
So It Goes!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 2:17pm
Starbrite is a brand name like 3-M, or Mequires they sell it everwhere, wal-mart, west marine, hardware stores and so on
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 6:59pm
Last time i did mine I bought a product at Lowe's Hardware $5-$7 bucks. It's made for cleaning teak patio furniture and is an "OXI" cleaner. Used a stiff nylon bristle brush and it was amazing how well and how much it cleaned. Then applied the Starbrite oil ive been using for years. The color holds up much better since the oxi-clean.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2006 at 9:51pm
Dank,

The stuff I used is called "TE-KA Teak Wood
Cleaner." It's made by Marine Tex, a division of Philadelphia Resins out of Montgomeryville, PA. It says that it should not be used on any other surfaces, and should not remain on caulked surfaces for more than 4 or 5 minutes. I guess it's pretty caustic. Still, it works great for restoring teak platforms. I used it on my brother's interior teak components, but I removed them from the boat before applying.

The teak oil I've been using for the last couple years is Amazon's Golden Teak Oil Mastermix by Marine Development and Research Corp out of Merrick, New York.

I generally do a complete cleaning and oil in March or April, and then apply the oil 2 or 3 times throughout the Summer.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic