NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Pylon
    Posted: November-12-2005 at 11:39pm
Any ideas? My ski pylon on the 69 SN is getting a lot of surface rust on it. Can I wire brush that off? I was thinking that most pylons are stainless, apparently this one isn't.
If it doesn't clean, does anyone know where to find a new one? The diameter of mine is 1 3/4.
Thanks, Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 11:44pm
Hey Chuck,

Couldn't you pull it out, have it sandblasted
and then rechromed or Powdercoated????

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 7:05am
eagle one's never dull will clean it up. And not all stainless steel are truely stainless/rustless, 303 stainless steel will rust as well as most others if not passivated.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 7:12am
Thanks for the info BKH and 79. I'll try 79's suggestion first, then on to the sandblasting if that doesn't work. I need to eventually rechrome the gas cap and maybe the scoops.
OK 79, passivated? I mean if I need to be passivating I want to know about it.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 8:18am
You aren't going to be able to get the pole passivated. It's a dipping type process that removes all of the impurities caused be machining which is what rusts. You are going to have to live with it and keep it polished up. Be carfull sand blasting because it will dull the finish.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 8:30am
FYI THE SKI POLES USED IN THE 60'S WAS A STEEL SHAFT WITH A CHROME INSERT AT THE TOP.
woodyelc
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2005 at 7:15am
I'm with BKH. Pull the shaft and take it to a powdercoater. They will clean it up and give it back to you looking like new. You should remove the chrome plated brass tow ring (if so equiped) before having powder coated and make sure the powdercoater knows that something will mount in that hole so they keep the powder our of it.

Also have the two ring re-chromed. I would be afraid to chrome the pylon as the flexing might cause the chrome to crack.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2005 at 1:29pm
Thanks again 79 for the help, the tow ring itself is in very good shape, just the pylon needs help.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 10:54am
Lake...see post "classic owners reunion" Thought you might have some interest and input ! Brewski too!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 11:14am
If yours is like mine then the pole section is aluminum and the ring is chrome plated and as far as I know you cannot powdercoat aluminum you can only anodize it. Just polish it up and it'll loock like new.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 1:06pm
No problem powdercoating aluminum. I had aluminum parts re-powdercoated on my '93 SN. Came out great.

The powdercoater that I used had dozens of aluminum engine parts on the pick-up shelves ready to go.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 1:35pm
I wet sanded my aluminum pylon then used Nevr Dull to finish it off. Started at 600 then went progressively finer to 1200. Came out very nice. Just make sure you sand in the direction of the turnings(not Length wise) or you will stratch it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic