NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fake-a-lake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fake-a-lake
    Posted: October-07-2005 at 11:57pm
I know many of you will cringe at the thought of taking your boat to the shop to have work done. But, last time I had it in the shop the mechanic told me that his fake-a-lake was too small to get a good seal because of the recessed water intake on my 1997 Ski Nautique. He said he rigged it up with a larger one he happened to have on hand, one for yaughts that he had used years before. Have any of you had this problem before? I'm asking because I'm planning on having a local mobile mechanic (different guy) winterize my boat this year and he said he has never heard of it being a problem before? If so, what have you done to correct the problem? THANKS
Ryan
ty View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 12:00am
Iam surprised your boat being that new dosnt have a connection built in the boat? I worked on Air Nautique and it had one in the boat 1999 model Mercruiser v-drive but I have never used that fake lake I made a hose barb and stick it in the intake hose so I can keep and eye on it that thing looks like it could fall over or come undone I have a valve on it so I open it a little not to much preasure fire it up and then open the valve full flow.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 1:23pm
Ryan:

My homemade "fake-a-lake" does not completely cover the opening of the raw water inlet. But, this has never been a problem. There water pressure from the hose is sufficient to keep the water flowing properly even though some of it leaks around the edges of the plunger cup.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2005 at 12:37am
I placed a valve in the floor connection with a "T" on top. The "T's" side runs to the engine. On top of the "T" is a valve with a garden hose connection. Cheap Home Depot solution.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
todda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2005 at 8:32pm
Hey Ryan-have you looked at a Flush-Pro system? They are a bit spendy, but easy to install, and a snap to winterize your boat yourself, so you aren't spending as much money to have someone come out to do it for you. Basically, it is the same thing that 64Skier is referring too above. You can find them on skidim.com under Winterization for about $55.

Happy Holidays! Todd
Todd
74 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2005 at 5:35pm
If want to be cheap, you can disconnect the hose from the pickup in the bottom of the bilge and run a garden hose in it. Run the motor till it up at operating temp(thermostat open). Connect that hose back up, then disconnect the hose going to the transmission cooler, stick a funnel in the cooler, fill with antifreeze, have someone crank the motor, keep poring antifreeze in until it is green coming out of the exhaust, then shut off the motor! Dont forget to connect the hose back to the cooler!! Good luck!! I also live in Mobile and would be glad to lend a hand if you need it!!
Shake and Bake
1974 Skier
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2005 at 6:16pm
This summer installed sea strainers on the 74 and 76 Mustang 17s. Why I didnt do this sooner I will never know. Anyway, to the point, all I did was drill and tap a 1/2" NPT hole in the top of the screw-on plastic stainer cover, and threaded in a brass male 1/2" NPT male to garden hose adapter. I then can screw the hose directly on with no issues. The best part of it is, the hose can be turned on all the way without worry because the extra water just pours out of the hull intake grate. When done, I thread on a brass grarden hose cap on. The best part is, it cost me only about $5 in parts! I can take pics to anyone interested.
74 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2005 at 9:35pm
Yeah Jeff, I'd like to see that, sounds like a good idea! If your going to winterize, all you gotta do is cover up the intake, and run a hose over to your bucket?
Shake and Bake
1974 Skier
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2005 at 6:59pm
74 skier, thats correct, if you plug off the intake grate that would work. If I were to do that, I would just install a shut-off valve on the intake. Im not sure, I would have to look, but I may be able to put a cap inside the sea stainer filter where the intake hole is. I have some pics I can email you. Need your address cause I cant post pics on here yet. Hope to soon!
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 6:11pm
I've tried Fake-a-Lake and found it to be too much trouble to get under my trailer. I stuck the hose in the hose like 74 Skier said and this works pretty good but my engine would suck the garden hose flat even with the garden hose all the way on.

I now leave my plug in the boat, disconnect the pickup hose from the inlet fitting and lay pickup hose on the bottom of the bilge. I lay a water hose in the bilge and turn fully on. After the water level reaches the top of the pickup hose I start the engine. The engine pumps the water out of the bilge and the garden hose keeps the bilge full. I can run for long hours and even drip in a little Dawn that gets circulated through the engine (to help get the salt out). If the bilge gets too full the water reaches the top of the inlet fitting and runs out onto the ground. This works great.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic