Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Separator in my area...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Separator in my area...
    Posted: November-13-2008 at 10:19am
Just wondered if anyone had seen this. I've seen the Separators discussed here before, but they all seemed to have the double bubble windshield thing going on. What's with this boat? It looks pretty cool but the windshield doesn't look like the others. Did he change it OR did they make one with a different glass OR is this perhaps NOT really a Separator?
It kind of interested me, for one thing, because I saw that it's pretty close to me (about 2 hours). Shoot - I was just in Frederick, MD (day before yesterday) for a Pariodontist appointment. I'd much rather have been looking at boats!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3591&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1925&yrend=2009
Inboards Rule!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 10:36am
link for craig

Craig,
That Separator has been for sale for some time. The 4K for a separator seems low too. I wonder if there's something wrong with the boat. Go check it out! The bubble style Batmobile windshields were only available a couple years. I think because of the radical design it didn't go over too big. Also, we had a Separator and a 16' Donzie on our lakes up north - they would run "head to head" WOT.

Edit: The seller does state it needs heads and exhaust manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 10:59am
"we had a Separator and a 16' Donzie on our lakes"

Both i/os Pete? Was the separator a 351?
70 Mustang project
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 11:12am
Yeah, that was my question too Pete; I remember you telling me about a Separator that was at your lake years ago, but I was sort of thinking it was an inboard?

Was it a stern drive too?

Hey, speaking of I/O's that are normally inboards and vice versa, check out this link I posted at the Donzi page for a guy I know.

It's a little Cobalt XV-200 (Donzi 16 copy), like mine, that had a V-drive instead of the usual Volvo stern drive.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54958
Inboards Rule!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 11:16am
72 brochure shows the bubble windshield 75 brochure shows the flat one so they changed in between there somewhere.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 11:21am
The separator was a V drive 351 and the Donzi was a Volvo outdrive with the 351. Craig, the Donzi was the one I told you about the owner blowing the engine. Watercraft put a short block in it and somehow got the wrong rotation engine. The mechanic dropped it in the lake and of course found out when he shifted the helm into reverse. I don't remember how they fixed it but do remember you told me one of the nice things about the Volvo outdrives is they are reversable!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 11:34am
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

Hey, speaking of I/O's that are normally inboards and vice versa, check out this link I posted at the Donzi page for a guy I know.

I didnt know any of the Donzi clones were made as v-drives. A few of the donzi sweet 16s were built as v-drives. I have seen one and come across mention of a few others on that Donzi forum Pretty rare, but would be my choice if I was going to get one. The one I saw had the engine all apart in the guys basement. Too much work for me, but he was only asking $4,000. Good price for someone who could have handled the work.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 12:30pm
Pete - Yes with the older Volvo (AQ drives) you can just remove a pin from a rod attached to a pivoting arm under the shift cover (which is that piece of the Volvo housing that usually had a silver and blue number plate that said 250, 270, 280, etc. identifying the drive model), and switched it to the other side of the arm (there's a hole in each side), reinsert the pin and your forward and reverse prop direction is switched that easily! Pretty neat.

75 Tique - I've also seen a number of the little 18 Donzi's with V-drives. I think they're cool too, and probably less maintenance than an outdrive, but I "think" with any extreme (24 degree) deep V hull like the Donzi, while the V is cool, the stern drive might be better for both speed and handling because you can trim the prop up and lift the bow. The little Cobalt (and the Donzi that it copied) is a blast to run fast with the drive trimmed up a bit because it just flies over top of the waves and lands with the bow up so that it enters the water without pounding. I wonder how the V-drives with that little 16 ride in comparison. Still, very cool looking and a real clean look at the stern. I'm sure it's pretty quick too, but I wonder if it would be as fast as the same boat with a stern drive that can be trimmed up. My guess is that, since as Pete mentioned, the Separator with a V and the Donzi 16 with an outdrive were real even at top end, is that the Separator had a lower degree of deadrise (I'll guess 19 to 21 degrees - and that is a TOTAL guess!). I think this Separator looks pretty neat with flat glass and it's cool that, from what was said above, it's not an alteration, but a later CC option.   Hmmm? Might be worth a look and a brief day trip, if nothing else just to get some more pics!

Oh, and with regard to the number of Cobalt Donzi clones that had a V-drive, this is the only one I've seen and I've located about 12 or 13 of these XV-200's. He thinks it's original though because there aren't any indications that a hole was filled in at the stern where a drive would have been (unless they just did a real careful job).
Inboards Rule!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

72 brochure shows the bubble windshield 75 brochure shows the flat one so they changed in between there somewhere.

Also, the bubble glass was just an option. This is from the 72 brochure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic