NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using jumper cables...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using jumper cables...
    Posted: October-22-2008 at 3:33pm
Hey gang, last Sunday when launching at the ramp, I had a fellow Nautique owner say that his battery was dead and asked if I had any jumper cables. I did as I am usually prepared for stuff like this. As we pulled up next to him I hooked up the cables to my battery and handed the other end to him. His driver proceeded to hit the key the instant the cables were connected and before we had a chance to rev our engine in neutral. It pulled a major load on my recently rebuilt alternator but his boat fired right up. They thanked us and went on their way as did we...then the trouble started. It turns out that the jump caused the rectifier in my alternator to burn out. Luckily, the shop that rebuilt my alternator fixed it for FREE since I was just in there a couple of weeks ago, but that cost us a stress free day on the water. In retrospect, I should have jumped him from my spare battery that I carry in the console. (I am still kicking my own butt over that one!) A marine mechanic buddy of mine recommended getting a stand alone jumper box and NOT risking my electical system by trying to help someone with a jump. Lesson learned!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 5:58pm
Is this an expected side effect of jumping? I have never had the occasion to jump anyone with my boat, but if I found myself in a position to lend a hand I certainly would. Now I'm not sure. Is it a bad idea that can cause problems? I would hate to say no.
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 6:10pm
My marine mechanic friend advised me NOT to risk it with your electical system. Like I mentioned, I usually carry a fully charged extra battery that I could have jumped him from since that battery is not tied in to the electical system. If you really wanted to give someone a jump, I would disconnect my battery cables from my battery and then connect the jumper cables for the actual transfer of juice. You don't want to risk frying your alternator and other electical components on your boat. Better yet, invest in a "jump box."

I have to give props to my local electric shop, Texas Alternator and Starter Service in Austin. Those guys have helped me tremendously in the past couple of months with rebuilding my starter, alternator, set me up with new cables, and tons of advice. It's hard to find an old school mechanic/electric shop that go above and beyond what is expected in that business. I guess that's why they have been so successful since 1974. These guys are tops in my book and I have already sent friends to them with similar great results.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 11:37pm
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER jump another vehicle with your vehicle running. You are asking to burn up your alternator! Car, boat, lawnmower, it doesn't matter.

Any vehicle should start when jumping with the engine of the "jumpee" off. If it will not start it has other problems, there are bad connections (on it or the jumper cables), or the jumper cables are not adequately sized (most are not adequate!).

If their battery is bad or other things are wrong it can FRY YOUR ALTERNATOR!

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic