Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sticker glue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ccfl08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfl08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sticker glue
    Posted: October-16-2008 at 11:36pm
The previous owner removed most of a sticker, but the glue is still on the gelcoat. What should I use to remove the glue and not damage the gelcoat?
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 12:30am
Mads,

This product works good and won't damage your gell coat.

3M™ 6041 Adhesive remover, 24 oz aerosol. ...

Check it out on 3m.com

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 8:47am
cc,
First I'd like to welcome you to CCfan. Did you just find the site or just new to posting.

Not much will hurt gel coat. A methylene chloride based paint and varnish remover will soften it if it's on the gel for a long time but we aren't talking about going to that extreme. I'd use acetone to removed the adhesive. It will be quicker as it will dissolve it better than the 3M remover. The 3M is a citrus based "solvent" that really isn't very strong so it can be used on painted surfaces safely.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

cc,
First I'd like to welcome you to CCfan. Did you just find the site or just new to posting.

Not much will hurt gel coat. A methylene chloride based paint and varnish remover will soften it if it's on the gel for a long time but we aren't talking about going to that extreme. I'd use acetone to removed the adhesive. It will be quicker as it will dissolve it better than the 3M remover. The 3M is a citrus based "solvent" that really isn't very strong so it can be used on painted surfaces safely.

I'll second the acetone. Keep the rag wet and use plenty of 'em. It will just smear around if too much of the sticker accumulates on the rag.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 10:15pm
I've used WD40. Works and it's cheap.
Watch your fingers.

ccfl08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfl08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 6:51pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Acetone and it worked great.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 9:20am
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

I've used WD40. Works and it's cheap.

Gary,
I've got to ask! You must be buying WD40 by the gallon! I was over at the hardware this weekend and took a look at the prices. WD40 is basically mineral spirts with some small amounts of friction modifiers. Compare and calculate the per oz. price some time - I did!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic