NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should a 2001 model lean to the Right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:37pm
I heard that mountain goats have shorter legs on 1 side...maybe if it leans a little, you're on the wrong side of the mtn?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:14pm
My 80 also leans to the right, funnny thing is nobody mentions a boat leaning left yet.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

My 80 also leans to the right, funnny thing is nobody mentions a boat leaning left yet.

Think about that- there are more parts installed on the driver's side. Dash parts, steering helm, etc. It doesnt take a whole lot of weight to lean one of the older, narrower boats over. A lot of the early boats had the battery under the front seat as well.

As far as the 2001 goes, Im not sure if it would be normal for a boat to lean noticeably while sitting still in the water. Assuming the weight (gear) inside the boat is evenly distributed, then that may indicate its holding some water under the floor. While at speed, there are a number of other factors that come into play- mainly prop rotation and the hook of the hull. The hook is not equal on both sides, and any 2 hulls could have a slightly different shape. A slight lean while underway wouldnt concern me as much.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 11:50pm
Tim, I was just looking at your Ski Tique. You bought it the same time we bought the Mustang. I don't know how you restored it so fast. It looks really good. Great job!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 12:12am
my 86 leans ever so slightly to the right also. I just decided it was because all the steering and dash stuff and the built up area behind the foot rest where the hull vents go under the floor. Its perfect underway at slalom speeds.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 12:51am
Man that is a nice lookin' boat you have there Luciano! You must be a very popular guy around there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Ian Sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 1:49am
Looks like all these boat leaning to the right Are voting for Mcain.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 3:29am

Well,
I did find a few that clearly had a slight right ward bias while parked. Actually, I found a few more images like that, but none going to the left.

I want to ask to see it one more time, just floating, with no one in it. Would that be an unreasonable request, post sale?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 9:53am
I wouldn't be surprised if that wakeboard on the rack isn't helping the list a little bit in that pic. Also, take a look at the engine. It could be slid over on its mounts one way or another because that's just the way it was built (by hand). That's an 800lb weight that just has to be slightly off center to cause a little lean.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 10:03am
lean or list? right or starboard? lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 12:48pm
Check a Skylark out or any left hand drive boats.. I'm sure it's the dash/helm parts making it list in the direction of the driver..

Now in my case, I figured after the 20th beer, I'm about 15 lbs heavier in the late afternoon, so.......

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 2:49pm
mine (89 ski) leans slightly to the driver side as well. The Prev Owner put 100lbs of sand bags in the bow on that side so I expected it. I havent taken then out yet to see if it sits level without them.

The only time i can tell is at slow speed without anyone else in the boat. Sitting empty(with bags) it is a very slight tilt.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 4:21pm
Well, I wound up calling Correct Craft corporate. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful and actually a member of this site.

He said, by 1989 these hulls were never intentionally weighted. He said the whole 2001 line was very well balanced and sorted out. I guess some of the older ones were in fact weighted.

He did said some variances, such as fiberglass thickness etc., could cause a slight lean one way or the other and that's normal.

I was under the bow of my boat to look at wiring and such and didn't notice anything heavy, or anything at all up there except a couple of lifejackets on the left side.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Well, I wound up calling Correct Craft corporate. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful and actually a member of this site.

He said, by 1989 these hulls were never intentionally weighted. He said the whole 2001 line was very well balanced and sorted out. I guess some of the older ones were in fact weighted.

He did said some variances, such as fiberglass thickness etc., could cause a slight lean one way or the other and that's normal.

I was under the bow of my boat to look at wiring and such and didn't notice anything heavy, or anything at all up there except a couple of lifejackets on the left side.

well maybe you overlooked the hugh hump called the dash where there is much more glass on the drivers side than the other, Also maybe you missed all of the wiring and gauges that are not on both sides. Also maybe you missed the steering cable, clamp block, wiring harness and all of the other crap that is on the drivers side that is not on the other side, and you really want to say that makes no difference on the weights bias? please there is so much more crap on the right side it has to lean that way, then lets not forget about the wakeboard and the engine components that also weigh down the right side. Please worry about something that matters because as soon as you sit in the drivers seat it's going lean that way anyway unless you are under full power.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 7:37pm
Ok see a pattern here. They all seem to mention a right hand lean. Funny how none of these boats get wet on port side.

Now for the real reason. These were tournament boats. A driver, timer, and judge would be riding during a competitors run. 3 people in the front. Two on a portside buddy seat facing aft and one driver on starboard. Even with two equal weight passengers the weight will be off. Try putting 3 in the front and the boat will level off.

My vote would be lean by design, but you should get your deposit and come buy mine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2008 at 7:47pm
I really don't think you have a problem.

Now this guy does!!

Too much gear, equipment and wake boards on the port side!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wake_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wake_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 11:52pm
Mine lists a little to the right at speed, with no weight, but it's because it has a new motor and the prop rotates the opposite way as the original. I guess the right side weight would offset the original prop rotation. I can't even notice it unless I'm by myself, with no weight, and running about 20+
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:09pm
mine is the exact same as Luchog's. I stressed about it for a while then finally just blew it off.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic