NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airguide Speedo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KennyA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airguide Speedo
    Posted: September-13-2008 at 1:34am
I have seen a few posts about replacing the face on these speedos. My question is how do I get into the speedo to do this? Does the bezel and glass pop off?

Thanks
Kenny <>{
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 8:32am
Kenny, The internals go in from the backside of the housing. Remove it from the dash and you'll see the screws on the back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 7:41pm
Well, maybe, maybe not (new style no, old style not sure). The front bezel and glass do come off. roll the bezel with the palm of your hand on a flat surface (put towel down first). Apply firm pressure while you roll and the bezel will "walk" its way off. Then the lens can be removed. Now, if you remove the three screws from the backside, the entire inards with face, needle, and all come out of the housing. If you need to replace the face, you needle to pull the needle and remove the two screws holding the face to the inards.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 7:59pm
David, Kenny has a 79 Tique. It's the old style.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KennyA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 3:26am
Thanks Pete, I was looking at those screws today as I do have the speedo off of the dash and wondering about them. Mine have some sort of sealant over them, this made me wonder if that was some sort of adjustment and I didn't want to mess something up. As far as I know the speedo still works (needle moves when I blow into the barb on the back, I am missing the pickup (pitot?) on the back of the boat) but the face and needle are in bad shape and I would eventually like to restore them.

From what I have seen, the replacement pickups (pitots?) are no longer being made or available?
Kenny <>{
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 9:52am
Kenny, The new style pitot will work the same. A minor mounting hole change requires elongating a couple of the holes. Skidim has them. A big plus with the new style is they are supposed to be designed so they don't plug up. Check out all of your pitot tubing as well. I replaced all of it on my 77. The old will be under foam but you don't need to follow the same route. Just keep in mind that the new tubing needs to go downhill all the way back to the pitot just in case you get water up the tubing. If the boat has ever seen freezing temps, you will want to also inspect the pulsation dampener. I've seen a couple cracked open when water got trapped inside from plugged up tubing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KennyA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 10:16am
Pete, Pulled the two screws out of the back and I had it apart. I will check the items you suggested because as far as I know the boat has spent it's entire life here in NC and we do get freezing temps. I'll try to post some pics just for the heck of it and because I couldn't find any myself when I was searching for info on these speedos. Maybe somebody else might be interested.

Thanks again Pete!! Add one more to my owe ya list, its growing.
Kenny <>{
KennyA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:23pm
What, if anything, can be done about pitting in the chrome on the metal of the speedo?
Kenny <>{
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by KennyA KennyA wrote:

What, if anything, can be done about pitting in the chrome on the metal of the speedo?
it can be reconditioned and replated $$$$
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by KennyA KennyA wrote:

KennyA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:48pm
Thanks 79- $$$$, that's what I was afraid someone would say...
Kenny <>{
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic