NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Breather

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Breather
    Posted: July-20-2008 at 4:12pm
On my 68 Mustang the breather is located on the transom of the boat. On the inside of the boat is a 2' hose connected to the top of the fuel tank in front of the filler hose.

How are other Mustang owners systems plumbed? No matter how much fuel is in the tank, fuel sloshes out the breather. I didn't notice this as much until my new white paint job.
On other boats the tank sits much lower in the boat allowing a vertical run of the vent hose and a one way ball valve. My vent nipple is not much lower than the vent.

Thanks,

Trevor
Trevor 1968 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 5:07pm
Trever, Double the length of hose between the tank and the through hull fitting. Coil it under the deck and fasten this coil up as far as you can. Usually you will have some bolts for deck hardware that you can lengthen and use with hose clamps.

Sorry to hear that you painted and not gel coated. This isn't the only problem you are going to have with paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This isn't the only problem you are going to have with paint.

What are the other problems?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This isn't the only problem you are going to have with paint.

What are the other problems?

Matt, you bought your boat painted didn't you?

I'm not a big fan of painting a fiberglass boat just because the durability isn't there compared to gel coat. I've been a wood boater for so long that I'm very familiar with the care needed to dock and moor a painted boat let alone leave it for any time. The fiberglass boat industry took off because of the low maintenance the boating people wanted. Yes, the newer LP's (linear polyurethanes) like Sterling or Allgrip are tough but they are still paint! They are still not as hard as gel. If scratched, you won't be out there wet sanding and buffing out paint like you can with a thick gel coat. If painted, don't plan on keeping the boat in the water for more than 3 days. The paint is not recommended for below the true waterline. Most of the manufacturers will state it directly in their application guides. The paint will develop blisters and you will end up with a real ugly mess!!

Gel coating is however very labor intensive and the reason it does cost more.

Now, if you have a scratched up painted boat that you want to gel coat, Extreme care must be taken to get every single spot of the old paint off before you gel!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic