NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Optima Bluetop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optima Bluetop
    Posted: July-19-2008 at 7:22pm
So I purchased the Optima Bluetop Dual purpose battery today for my 69 Mustang 302 HM. According to their website, the battery works as a starting battery and deep cycle. My thought was this battery will work great so that I can park and listen to the stereo without worrying about killing my cranking battery.

Being such a small boat, there's really only room for 1 battery so perfect solution.

But, does it work as claimed? I wanted to check with the forum here to see if anyone has experience with this battery. Should I have gotten just the starting bluetop? I'd like some info before I hook her up, in case I need to bring back and get the starting only one.

Thanks for the help!
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 4:13am
No, you did good. Optima says you can use a dual purpose for cranking. There are a couple guys that have given me hell over my Optima but we use the Optima dual purpose blue tops to crank our Cummins standby generators at work and I haven't had any problems with them at all. I have 18 generators I maintain and the company I work for has 100's across the state.
If you are using a Amp & subwoofer, I wouldn't listen to it too long in the middle of the lake though. Did you get the D31M?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 4:47am
Got the D34M, has to fit under my seat in the Mustang. Figured it had plenty of cranking amps.

So far I don't even have the boat in the water much less a radio, but by next summer I will. Don't plan on pushing too much though. Would rather not be stranded.

I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.

Thanks for your input. 18 generators huh. Wouldn't mind a Cummins in my boat, get a bit better millage.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 10:34am
they need to size up a duramax for these boats, they are quiet as hell and i barely noticed it was a diesel
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:46pm
Vondy,

I have two of the Optima Blue Top installed with a Hellroaring isolator/combiner.
I just added the second Blue top as my starting battery, It has no problem starting the engine. I really like this setup because I can turn the boat off and blast the stereo, which has a 5 channel amp, and not have to worry about my starting battery being dead when I go to start the engine.
I have run the stereo/amp all day in the garage and the battery was still going strong.
I highly recommend the two battery/Hellroaring setup.Nice not to have to worry if your going to be able to start up after a good long float.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Being such a small boat, there's really only room for 1 battery so perfect solution.

David, It is a compromise between starting and deep cycle so do keep us informed on how it works out. I do understand the issue about trying to get a dual battery set up into that boat!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 4:28pm
I think as long as your not running any amplifiers and just powering the speakers off of the head unit, you should be OK for a couple hours of music before having to worry about a dead battery.
Maybe run it through some tests while in the garage/driveway before hitting the water so you know what to expect.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 5:29pm
Going on my third season with a blue top dual purpose. No complaints so far. I was wondering how many of you with dual purpose blue tops use the threaded wingnut posts for your starting circuit rather than the clamp posts? This may be completely false but I have a feeling the threaded/wingnut posts are wired in differently than the clamp posts. Perhaps one connection is for the deep cycle applications and the other connection is for the high amperage starting applications. The only reason I think this is because whenever I put the trickle charger on the wingnut posts, the charger behaves differently than it does on the clamp posts. Basically, it acts as if the battery never charges. However, when I use the starting posts, it goes from yellow (charging) to green (charged) in a few minutes, as usual. Odd.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:03pm
Good question, perhaps a call into Optima's tech line is in order. We have a mix-match of post connections and have had the battery in there a couple years as well.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:07pm
well they are the same the difference is because of the termination, lead post on the one then steel inserted into lead on the other and that's why you don't use them as the cranking connections because you can't and won't pull the amps thru the wing nut posts, might be fine on a new battery with new cables for a while but not good over the long hull.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:29pm
Randy-
Not sure that the 93 is the same as my 89, but where do you find space for the second battery in your Sport?
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

well they are the same the difference is because of the termination, lead post on the one then steel inserted into lead on the other and that's why you don't use them as the cranking connections because you can't and won't pull the amps thru the wing nut posts, might be fine on a new battery with new cables for a while but not good over the long hull.

I have mine connected to the stainless posts with wingnuts. when I installed the Optima I chose to get rid of the clamps because I liked the idea of being able to remove the cables without tools, and figured a good ring terminal that was soldered was a better connection than the clamp type connectors I had on there. I did add a stainless lock washer to prevent the wingnut from backing off. It seems to work fine.
I just sent off an email to Optima and asked them if there were any problems with this setup. I'll post their response when I get it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 10:36pm
Adam,
I mounted it behind the panel under the helm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

when I installed the Optima I chose to get rid of the clamps because I liked the idea of being able to remove the cables without tools, and figured a good ring terminal that was soldered was a better connection than the clamp type connectors I had on there.

wrong on the better connection it is by far a worst connection for a cranking application. It's the atttachment to the battery not the terminal to the wire that makes a difference. With a ring terminal and the small contact area it creates higher resistance at the joint. Higher resistance less amperage and that is not what you want on the starter. Now if you do not have solder battery post terminations on the cables and used the cheap clamp down replace terminals then it's still better but not by much. So with the proper termination it's a night and day difference get a current meter out and you'll see the didference in black and white.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 7:28pm

With a ring terminal and the small contact area it creates higher resistance at the joint. Higher resistance less amperage and that is not what you want on the starter.

The starter end or solenoid always has a ring terminal on it so it can't be that bad.
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 7:38pm
We use the screw terminals for our generators as well. If there were a problem with small contact area, you would get excessive heat when cranking and that is not the case. Even on the 24V systems we use. If using the correct terminals and crimp connectors, there is plenty of surface area.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 7:51pm
Looks like another fancy way of spending more money....

The $40 battery that I put in my boat 4 years ago is still working. Don't complain about gas prices when you have money to blow on a battery that does the same thing of one half its price.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 1:08am
Installed (1) new Blue Top Multi Purpose in our boat this spring. We will see how well this one preforms, if not for the stereo system, amps, tower speakers, etc. would have just stuck with a standard issue. Having the dual posts is nice and it really cleaned everything up by separating the ring terminals from the standard terminals.

BTW, have run my entire system; sub, 6 cabin speakers, tower speakers and (2) amps for several hours at low to moderate volume and started right up no problem.

Thanks again PLBC for the great deal on the Blue Top!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

BTW, have run my entire system; sub, 6 cabin speakers, tower speakers and (2) amps for several hours at low to moderate volume and started right up no problem.

I had the same experience last year with my one multi purpose blue top, I fully expected to need to jump it a few of the times we used it only two amps but fairly loud for a few hours out swiming with the ladies and it never missed a beat.

I know some people like to be concerned about how other people spend thier money on these boats, but for some the joy is in getting it done in the cheapest functional way, However others of us really enjoy the fit and finish of a 40 dollar chrome battery terminal (thats the price for one terminal mind you) with a 4 digit blue led voltage readout sitting in a bank of optimas connected with more 30 dollar chrome terminals and blue/clear 1/0 gauge stinger HPM wire. Maybe we are compensating for something (like a slow boat, get your minds out of the gutter) but chances are its just how we enjoy our hobby.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 4:58pm
I just got confirmation from Optima that both sets of posts are the same circuit:

Joel,

Both sets of posts are connected to the same circuit. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your time and attention.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

With a ring terminal and the small contact area it creates higher resistance at the joint. Higher resistance less amperage and that is not what you want on the starter.

The starter end or solenoid always has a ring terminal on it so it can't be that bad.

It's not an issue of applying the current to the device it's about getting the current out of the battery to start with and into the cable and the interface style makes a hugh difference on the current you will get from the battery. Go get a fancy current meter, attach it the the pos cable that has the battery post style tremination and meassure the current now do the same with the ring terminal attached to the battery and the current will be 1/4-1/3 less amps than with the post style connection.

after all i was wrong on the post being different oooohhhh maybe that wasn't me that said that sorry but you should listen better and question less.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic