Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat won’t steer straight???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat won’t steer straight???
    Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:35pm
'76 Southwind 20'. My 13 yr. old pointed out the other day that when we were attempting to go straight, it looked like the boat was pointing to the right. He was corret. Regardless of speed, when I try to go straight, I have to overcompensate and steer left some and the boat is pointed about 10 degrees to the right. So I am essentially pushing through the water sideways. Can a boat be out of alignment like a car? What's up????
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 12:52pm
does it have tracking fins? if so then they are bent or not aligned with the rudder.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:50pm
Kirk, What you are seeing may be normal from prop torque. It's the same thing that pulls the stern of a RH boat to port when reversed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:15pm
Or maybe a bent strut? See if the prop is right in front of your rudder or if it's to one side.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:19pm
Is the boat actually turning in an arc, or is there just a load on the rudder. Many inboards, and particularly the competition slalom boats are set up with a load on the rudder so there is actually constant pressure on the rudder. You can go straight, but if you let go of the wheel, the boat will instantly turn one way or the other. This can be fixed as well if one desires neutral steering. BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:30pm
I feel what Kirk is describing is the boat is "crabbing". The same thing you do with a plane when landing in a cross wind. The bow is pointed to starboard when the hull is going in a straight line towards port.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:40pm
I feel what Kirk is describing is the boat is "crabbing".

This is definitely what it feels like. I will check everything that was mentioned above. Thanks
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Or maybe a bent strut? See if the prop is right in front of your rudder or if it's to one side.

I hope it's not as it came offsite from the factory.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:57pm
You need to use more rudder peddles then.

Does it have fins? Are they bent?

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic