Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

winch touble/bunk rollers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ElectricJOE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: winch touble/bunk rollers
    Posted: June-12-2008 at 12:38pm
I had a friend help install a winch on my boat. The winch is brutal to use I have some one bounce on the swim platform while I crank the boat up. Of course do I need to say this is done on dry land because I can never seat the boat right on the trailor while still in the water. bad angle to the bump carpet.

1 Looking to see what people think of the winch. He wants to re-do it because it bent the angle Iron in the front. Any suggestions.
Different ideas. I hope to send pics.

2 what do people think of bunk rollers ive seen them in Overtons and drooled thinking it would be so easy to crank the boat in. I m worried about supporting all the wheight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 12:40pm
ahhh the pics are too big
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 12:48pm
Search "winch", you'll get a few threads. Pete added a keel roller to his trailer. The height of the winch is crucial, sounds like yours is mounted too low.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:12pm
Just get the boat up as far as you can with the winch or power load and then bump it the rest of the way using your brakes! Hit the brakes hard and watch it slide up to the bow stop. Keep an eye on it in the rear view mirror.
Also, you may want to lube the bunk carpet.

-Brad
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:17pm
Joe , the bunk rollers sound like a good idea, BUT...... This boat needs bunks to fully support the hull from bow to stern.
Any deviation from this will end in damage to the hull. I went as far as adding two more bunks to my trailer.I feel there cannot be too much support on these old boats.
As far as the loading issue you are having , time will show you the right and wrong ways to do this.Try different depths at the fenders, seems to be a good guage.
You will figure it out......Boat dr
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 5:35pm
I am using a bunk lube this season to prevent trailer rash (small scratches) from loading and unloading. I use a fairly steep ramp. I can't think of the name of the lube, but I ordered it from Overton's. It works very well. Just put the boat in gear and it drives right on with very little friction. BUT, I am much more cautious when unloading not to unkook the boat until in the water and floating. The bunks are slick!! Even moves around when turning corners, so I am more careful when tying down. I love the product, but use caution. -Ryan
Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 5:58pm
Thanks I'll look into that. do you tie your boat down to the trailor? I have never done that I thought the weight was enough. Maybe because the lube is that slippery u need to.
   I also looked up "winch" in the forums and found a really cool designe for a winch from 8122pbrainard. i feel more comfortable with a winch also because ive had to slam the brakes to get my boat to slide before and every one looks at you like your an idiot. Also motoring on destroys ramps, their bad enough around here as is.
Hey Ryan if u find the product name u use let me know thanks
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 6:31pm
I found the product. It is called Slydz-On Spray-On Bunk Lubricant (16oz). Do a search on Overton's for Slydz-On and you should find it. I will be ordering more for myself soon. Follow the directions on the label and it should work great. I usually apply it every other time we go out or so. Apply just after launching and it should be ready to go when you're ready to load. Warning -- Use caution when unloading. I used to unhook the boat and then back down the ramp and drive it right off the trailer. I think the boat would slide right off my trailer if I unhooked it before backing down the ramp now. Now I wait until the boat is floating. A bit of a pain, but I don't want my boat sitting on the ramp. This stuff works very well, just be aware. Also, if you're trailering far, tie it down well to your trailer. I usually just tie down from my swim platform brackets to my prop guard. Good luck. I think you'll find this product helpful. I've heard of other people using drysuit seal lube and even dish soap. Maybe there are other ways, but Slydz-On is cheap so I'm sticking with it. -Ryan
Ryan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by ElectricJOE ElectricJOE wrote:

Thanks I'll look into that. do you tie your boat down to the trailor? I have never done that I thought the weight was enough. Maybe because the lube is that slippery u need to.
   I also looked up "winch" in the forums and found a really cool designe for a winch from 8122pbrainard. i feel more comfortable with a winch also because ive had to slam the brakes to get my boat to slide before and every one looks at you like your an idiot. Also motoring on destroys ramps, their bad enough around here as is.

Joe, You have identified and confirmed the major concerns that prompted me to add the winch and keel roller.

I was sick of slamming on the brakes. I bent a bow stop and I've seen others bent as well.

Power loading at marginal ramps without a very long concrete ramp just digs holes in the lake bottom. It's a inconsiderate practice.

I do not like the idea of lubing bunks. I've seen boats slide off the trailer when tie downs are removed prematurely. (do a search on this too - some interesting stories!!)

Yes, I do tie down the stern of my boats. In many states, it's actually a law.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 7:40am
I'm one of those guy's who lost the boat on the ramp after applying this stuff to the bunks. I'd say DON"T DO IT!!. I bent a prop, rudder shaft and tracking fin.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:16pm
just back it deeper into the water and you don't need the bunk lube.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:53pm
working out the bugs on uploading pics
just wanted to show my set up, it's ok but could be better. Also cleaning up the trailor is def on my mind in the future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:55pm
thats the part that bent I dont think its going to bend any more BUT I dont want any failures while loading my boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 4:01pm
OK now that the pics are up.
   I cant believe that your boat can slide right off the trailer??? Also that makes sense that its a law to strap down your boat. To be honest these trailors and boat setups work great on the highway because they have so much tongue weight u can really get going as I found out by getting pulled over doing 80+ on the maine turnpike!! oops. damn planes it was a huge speed trap but I was the only one with a boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 4:04pm
wondering if any one uses the bunk rollers?
I also agree about the weight issue but someone must have bought them curious if they had issues. I still am going to stick with the carpet. better safe than sorry.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2008 at 3:24pm
Joe, The bunk rollers are going to have the same effect as bunk lube. I'm glad you sticking with just new carpet.

You pictures are just a little too close up but I can still tell that your winch is too low. The winch needs to lift and pull the bow to be effective. A keel roller will help the most with winch loading. After loading, the winch isn't used as a means of tying the bow down - it will be too high to do any good. The original tie down is used.

BTW, if you use the enter/return key between posting your pictures, it will stack them from the top to the bottom of the page instead of side to side. It will make the page narrower and easier to read.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic