Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rpm on gray 4-90 with 11-11 p

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
greatrumpet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpm on gray 4-90 with 11-11 p
    Posted: May-11-2008 at 2:02am
what type of rpm should i be turning with with the 11-11 on a 17' boat, i'm not reaching anywhere near the 4000 the motor should be reaching. I was noticing the motor ddi seem to be working out some cobwebs, most likely gum/varnish in the carbs. I hope to post some pics on the boat next week.

I finanally got the boat in the water this last week after installing a both a new gas tank and fuel pump on the 4- 90, all for $65. I was able to cross reference the pump a t a my local auto value store under continental 4 cyl tractor motors, the auto value location in brooklyn mich is very helpfull with such things, its one of the best auto stores i've come across.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 9:27am
William, What RPM are you getting? Where did you get the idea that the Fireball 4-90 should be turning 4000? The low RPM Grays max out at 3200 to 3400. The Fireballs at 3600 to 3800.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 12:38pm
GT - Did you put a non-marine fuel pump in?
That's a no-no!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

GT - Did you put a non-marine fuel pump in?
That's a no-no!

Chris, The marine type pumps came later with the vent tube back up to the carb intake/flame arrester. A diaphragm failure in the old ones would just pump lots of gas into the crankcase and into the bilge! I guess like most things, we got smarter as we aged and probably learned the hard way. William did one way of sourcing the pump by going back to the basic engine block. I'll bet that the big old book with the thing called printing on paper had to come out with that search!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 6:21pm
William, Just a couple extra thoughts here!! Have you checked the timing? Have you synchronized the carbs? If anything, to me you are under propped! I'm swinging a 11 X 12 on my 60 HP 4cyl. The boat is however smaller.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 2:43am
thanks for the info, somewhere along the way i got my numbers crossed, ive gotta check on what numbers i'm actually turning, ive still got a lot of thinks to look at, i'm still using the old plugs and spark plug wires, the plugs are ancient autolites probably 60s vintage. I just didnt want to burn the motor up by turning too many, i almost did that on my 115 merc outboard i had a few years ago.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 10:16am
William, The dual carbs can be trickly to synchronize. You will need 2 manometers to hook up to check the vacuum on each. The throttle linkage is then adjusted so the vacuum matches. It's not the biggest problem but a lot of playing around. It seems you get one adjusted and then a adjustment on the other throws off the first. If you do not have or have access to manometers, you can get about 10' of 1/4" ID clear plastic flex tubing. On a piece of plywood, mark horizontal lines with 1 inch spacing about 18" height. (19 lines) Cut the tubing into 2 pieces, form it into two "U"'s about 2" apart and staple them on the plywood. One end of the tubing stops at the top of the ply and the other gets connected to the carbs. Fill the "U" tubes half way with water and a couple drops of red food dye. As vacuum is applied to the ends connected to the carbs, it will draw the water column up on the suction side. The combined total of height difference will be vacuum in inches of H2O.

Here's a commercial manometer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 4:38pm
Pete, thanks for the info I think you are right about the carbs needing to be synchronized. I did put in new spark plugs and wires, the old ones showed sings of lead fouling and were rusty where they met the boots. The spark plugs seemed to help some but it is still running rich, loading up at full throttle, with the distinct smell of unburned gas in the air when i circled back on my wake. Most of the time it will only turn 2500 rpm. I did breifly get it up to 2900-3000 rpm on a hole shot with just me in the boat. I'm thinking the carbs and timing were set up with old fuel pump that was not putting out the proper pressure, as when i pulled it from the boat it wasnt even put together properly. I'm going to have to let a regular mechanic work the carb issue out, its beyond my abbilities and knowledge. Luckily my local marina has mechanics that are actually old enogh to have worked on these rigs years ago.

thanks again,

will
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 8:00pm
William, You mentioned that the carbs may be gummed and varnished. They are nothing like modern ones and are pretty basic, You may want to open them up and just do a cleaning.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 7:11pm
It turns out its not a carb issue at all. A freind of mine who runs a body shop suggested that i check the valve tappet clearance, as he had similar problems on his 59 jeep, so i removed the valve cover and discovered that the first valve on closest to the flywheel is stuck open. So now i'm working on tearing the head off of the motor so i can soak the valve with pb blastert to facilitate removal/ replacement of the valve.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 8:54pm
William, Very interesting! With my little 4, I had rebuilt it and then stored it for 8 years while I was working on the boat. Got it all done started it up and had a bad miss/rough run problem. I screwed with lots - timing (thats when I found out I had bolted the flywheel on 180 off and had to hook up the timing light to the #4 instead of the #1!!). carb , plugs, points, etc. The only thing left was a stuck valve. I had always been a firm believer in Marvel Mystery Oil so I added it to the oil and gas. 30 seconds after restarting it came to life!! Haven't had a problem since. I did run a compression test on it last summer and it was at the top of the spec. The Marvel Mystery is now part of my oil changes. I also use it mixed 50% with engine oil for winter storage fogging.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 10:55pm
Pete, you fell into the trap,but you have the perseverance to finish the project. In reality the engine should be the last thing you do. So many projects,car or boat are started that way then abandoned, and there it sits. Then too if the rebuilder did something wrong good luck 8 years later. With that being said,I've done it,looking at a nicely painted engine gives me some motivation!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 11:22pm
Gary, I too have seen the abandoned projects! I have a friend with a late 30's pickup. That thing has sat for 30 years!

In my case on rebuilding the engine, I had all the machine work done and then I did the rest. When done, I did run it on the stand and it was fine. Then the 8 years of storage stuck the valve. It's pretty common on flat heads because of the vertical position of the valves and lubrication coming up from the bottom. They aren't easy to keep lubed when stored.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 11:45pm
Right now ive got the head torn off, and the stuck valve is soaking in blaster. after i get the valve unstuck and cleaned ive gotta find a source for a new head gasket, i'm hoping the auto store where i got the fuel pump can obtain one for me, i'm in a fairly rural area in michigan (devils lake/ manitou beach, brooklyn home of Michigan international speedway), so they have parts catalogs that a lot of stores in toledo never think of having.

I'm considering tearing apart the other valves and cleaing them also, they have a fair amout of carboan and other deposits on them also
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 7:58am
William, It sounds like that parts store that got you the pump are well tuned to older engines. They should be able to help. If not, try graymarine.com - they bought out all the gray parts stock. The head gasket however isn't marine specific so the standard Continental will work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 2:34pm
you just might as well just have head redone if one valve is bad your going to have more and it's all ready off anyway
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

you just might as well just have head redone if one valve is bad your going to have more and it's all ready off anyway

Chris, Mill the head?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 2:10am
Having all that work done right now is out of the question my budget doesnt allow it, a cooks salary doesnt let you pay for much. I figure on either cleaning or replacing the stuck valve and guide. The other valves are still functioning, so why fix what aint broke. The stuck valve has a large amount of carbon deposit on it so its posible that it was caused by improper tappet clearance, its possible it was stuck before i ever owned the boat, I bought it without ever hearing it run. My guess it that the tappet clearance has never beedn adjusted. I also found out that my spark plug gap is off, the correct gap on the plugs for the 4-90 is .020 not .025 like the plugs come from the factory, i did not know this as my manual only came in the mail today. if the hour meter is to be be beleived the motor has only 100 hours on it the cylinder walls show no signs of scuffing, although i have yet to take measurements as to their diameter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 9:36am
William, Clean it up and put it back together! I wouldn't even change the valve guide. (unless way out of clearance spec) I called a friend who rebuilds lots of the Hercules (Chris Craft) and the Continentals (Gray). He confirmed exactly what I described in my post about my stuck valve. He sees it a lot from storage. Wait until the day when you do the whole engine.

While I had him on the phone, I asked him to confirm the max rated HP RPM. I stand corrected that the 4000 you had, is the figure in the book! There is only one other Gray of that time that has the 4000. It's a 6 rated at 175 HP. He cautioned me to warn you that just because they are rated at the 4000 it's not the best idea to prop it up to that. Just as I said, the 3800 would be good.

BYW, The book says you need to run premium gas! Very important as they knock very easily. You may get by with retarding the timing 1 or 2 and then use mid grade but probably not worth it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 10:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Chris, Mill the head?

Chris, This question was sort of a test! To me, it seemed that you didn't read the complete thread or missed something. The Gray Fireball 4-90 is a L head (flat head)so it's not just having the "head redone". I don't think he wants to pull the engine. Valve seat regrinds can be done in the boat but most will just yank the complete engine. Milling the head would be a normal procedure on a flat head as they are prone to warpage however this engine is a exception. As I mentioned in the previous post, it is a high compression engine that does need premium gas. There is a warning in one of the manuals that the head should be replaced rather than milled!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 2:27am
Time for a update, haven't had the time to get on here lately. I was able to clean up the stuck valve, I think pete was right about it from long term storage. A phosphor bronze gun cleaning brush did the trick quite well.

I did run into a bit of a problem when I went to torque the head with its new gasket. I started by torquing the head in 10 pound incremets up from 30 pounds in the proper sequence, at the 140 pound setting on the wrench one of studs cracked, so the head is off again. I called around to some of the tractor repair shops, it seems they reguarly replace all the studs on the continetal engines. Luckily the stud snapped at the top, so theres something to get ahold of.

So its off the the machine shop to get the studs pulled and replaced

Will
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic