Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

27’ SEA NAUTIQUE 1984

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mrcollector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27’ SEA NAUTIQUE 1984
    Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:03pm
Hello and glad to be aboard! Just inherited this 27 footer and could use some help with a few things. I'm sure more things than I think. I contacted Correct Craft but their archives are not very well organized as I was told. They are going to see what they can dig up but suggested I contact Correct Craft Fan. So here i am. It seems most of you are with ski boats but maybe there are a few cruiser owners among you. I'm told by Correct Craft that she is rare and only about 18 were built. My girl is fitted with twin 351 PCMs with 1 1/2 -1 gears. Original sales brochure states she runs out at 42MPH but she is no where near that. tops out at 3200 RPM. motors were new 3 years ago. Props are 1-1/4" 16x17 3 bld bronze and are new and clean. Nobody has been able to tell me what the props should be, even Correct Craft.
Any help for the turtle boat? Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:19pm
Wow, that is cool. Im no help at all but would love to see some pics!

Welcome!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:40pm
how much clearence to the hull and prop blades do you have?

sounds like it is proped way to high, you need a smaller dia and/or smaller pitch too. the RPMS should be in the 4500 range.

Some one on here has a san juan don't think it's as big as yours but your's sounds real cool please add it to the diary's section.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

sounds like it is proped way to high, you need a smaller dia and/or smaller pitch too.

Even with twin engines and 1.5:1 transmissions? Its possible, but Id make sure the engines were tuned up properly before jumping to conclusions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 2:03pm
that's true Tim I did assume that everything is timed right, the ignition system is working properly and all of the components are in good working order.

But if the tune-up is correct then what else is left? The guy didn't state that it ran bad just low on rpm and speed and wasn't sure if the props where right and that sounds like that guy knows what he's doing a little bit otherwise he would have been asking about tune-up specs and not props.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 2:31pm
Could also have been over-cammed from an overzealos rebuild?

But likely state-of-tune.

Also need to know the speed at 3200.

At 3200 the secondaries likely are not opening yet, even at WOT.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Could also have been over-cammed from an overzealos rebuild?

possible but I wouldn't think so, never seen anybody really cam up a cruiser that big. Also not sure that the rpm has much effect on the secondary's aren't they opened based on vaccum or lack there of and that is what opens them up?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 2:52pm

never seen anybody really cam up a cruiser that big.

I have once, and it wasn't pretty (similar symtoms)

Also not sure that the rpm has much effect on the secondary's aren't they opened based on vaccum or lack there of and that is what opens them up?

I used to think so. I now belive its a verturi vacuum actuating the system. Since they don't open when you dump the throttle and loose all vacuum, right? Otherwise they could open on the bench, and I've never seen that.
My observation is a minimum amout of cfm must be flowing to create the verturi to overcome the diaphram spring, this typically doesn't start to occur until 34-3500 or so

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 3:19pm
well then as a test would it be possible to open the secondaries manually while underway?

at a minimum I guess would be to verify that they (secondaries) are actually not opening.

So now the questions seems to be what is the state of tune and are the carbs working porperly? is the time right on both, are they both pulling equally or is there an issue with one causing the other to over work?

But again it sounds like the boat is running fine just maybe over proped based on the post.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:25pm
They are big props, the diameter is suspect I would inspect carfully the distance between the hull and prop edge, but the pitch is about right in that they would move around 42 at 4500 with a reasonable amount of slip. Too large of a diameter however may make it impossible to spin them up to that point. I would think a 13.5 to 14.5 diameter would be a better fit but thats just a guesstimate. Nobody replaced the 1.5:1's with 1:1's during that build did they?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:31pm
Well besides the hull to prop clearance. it would be help full to know how much gap is between the strut and backside of the prop.

At some point maybe someone lengthen the prop shafts to create more clearance to run the larger props.

So I would say that it should need about 1.5"-2" between the hull and prop blade and from a 1"-.5" from the strut to the props hub.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 4:44pm
Speaking of props, I give props to Correct Craft for sending Mrcollector to this site Some very knowledgable guys on this site, which I am not one of.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 5:16pm
I'm actually looking forward to seeing some pictures as the brouchure only shows an artist's sketch and it will be cool to see the real deal.

Where's that gray hair old man that always ask for pictures when you need him
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 5:16pm
Mrcollector...I think you should give (WOODY and Art) a call at SECC in Orlando, they may be able to help you, and provide you with some Info on that boat, I remember the sea-nautique from when I worked there in the 80s, I cant tell you much because I worked in fiberglass at the time, But I can tell you this story, back then they did not have an overhead crane, so when it came time to flip the Deck for rigging, they would call all the workers from the whole shop to get around it and we would stand it up on its side and then drop it over to people on the other side, it was vary tricky to do, I think I helped flip 3 or 4 of them, and then they put in a new overhead crane with straps!

southeast correct craft,Inc
(407)851-1965

good luck..and welcome to the site!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 5:32pm

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 6:51pm
Reading all the posts here I think Chris may have nailed it.I think the secondaries maybe disconnected in a effort to save fuel.Course its just a sideline guess but very similar prop and reduction to a Trojan I used to be around alot.

I too think verify tune up and prop location then think about prop changes

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 7:34pm
Eric, You see larger boats than most of us. What's your take on twin 351's swinging 16X17's through a 1.5 to 1 ?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 8:13pm
over propped which i doubt, he should be seeing 4400 rpms,   or underpowered???

its one of the 2

1.5's Ive seen spin up to 18' diameter wheels and, something is not happening such as the secondaries are not opening. he should be easily spinning those 16's with the reduction he has.
if you call Michigan Wheel and get ahold of one of thier engineers and give him all the specs such as length, beam, weight, hp, he will get you dialed in within where you need to be.
there is another good prop guy who been building props for 30 years and probably would love to chat.   hydromotive in Twinsburg, Ohio (call information)
it really sounds like a power issue, not saying the engine doesnt have enough power but a problem such as the secondaries not opening to create the power needed to spin them
"the things you own will start to own you"
mrcollector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 12:34am
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I know this much. Both engines were new not rebuilds, Trans are 1.5 to 1, both motors run like clocks ( swiss clocks at that), both run up tp 3200 and thats it. I believe secondaries are operational. Only thing that I replaced was flame arrestors. I installed 8" d x 4" H. arrestors and only because the breather tube nipples had come off. The boat is at my shore home, so when I go there this weekend I will take measurements with regards to clearances and set backs. I will also take pictures of her and post when I get back. I did notice that at an idle, 650 RPMs she moves fast, like she's cutting deep into the water. Michigan wheel told me by the part numbers on the wheels that they are 1 1/4.shafts with 16x17. My son looked yesterday when we were there and said he saw 16x16 on the inboard end of the hub. I know they were new props as my friend owned and gave me the boat. Unfortunetly he would never know if the boat ran good or bad as long as it started and ran. He had a stroke and a heart transplant so I can't have a meaningfull conversation with him either. If anybody has any other thoughts on the subject I will check what ever I can this weekend. I can't run it yet as I pulled all four manifolds and risers in the fall when I winterized her. The engines had original block drains that were female hex plugs. They were not coming out and it was already 34 degrees outside so I drilled out the center of the plugs and figured I would worry about replacing them in spring, hence the reason I dropped the manifolds. Better than worring about a cracked block. Hey, Thanks again for all the input, I really appreciate it. Roger
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 1:54am

Where's that gray hair old man that always ask for pictures when you need him

And who might that be '79 old buddy?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic