Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

84 SN - WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FITZ842001SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FITZ842001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 SN - WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    Posted: April-19-2008 at 2:10am
BOUGHT A 84 SN LAST SUMMER. HAS ORIGINAL 454. REALLY GETS UP AND GO!! EXCELLENT CONDITION.

COUPLE QUESTIONS I HAVE:

I BOUGHT A NEW SLINGSHOT TOWER FROM DIYWAKE, HOW MUCH TORQUE CAN I PUT ON IT AND NOT WORRY ABOUT SPIDERWEBBING MY FIBERGLASS OR EVEN PULLING IT OUT OF IT.

THIS SUMMER MY KIDS AND I WILL TRY TO LEARN TO WAKEBOARD BUT STILL ENJOY THE ADVENTURES OF TUBING. TO GET THE ROPE UP OUT OF THE WAY OF PEOPLES HEADS IN THE BACK OF THE BOAT, IS IT ADVISEABLE TO TOW THE TUBES FROM THE TOWER?

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 3:11am
I'm not familiar with the tower you bought, but if you take your time and install the tower correctly, you should be ok with pulling tubes,barefooters,skiers, wakeboarders, etc...just need to make sure you do your homework when installing.

Good luck, have fun, & welcome to CCFAN!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 9:59am
Fitz - If you are asking about mounting hardware torque cracking your gel coat - you should consider having backup plates or at least large washers on the opposite side of your mounting brackets. That spreads the load out. The fastener torque to use should be recommended by the tower supplier.

A trick that I have learned from this site is to chamfer the holes you drill in the gel coat. That will also help prevent cracks from starting.

Good luck & post a picture when you get it maounted.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by FITZ842001SN FITZ842001SN wrote:

TO GET THE ROPE UP OUT OF THE WAY OF PEOPLES HEADS IN THE BACK OF THE BOAT, IS IT ADVISEABLE TO TOW THE TUBES FROM THE TOWER?

You will get mixed answers. For me, two things I will not tow from the tower are an advanced slalom skier, and a tube.

In my opinion, there is no better way to swamp a boat than towing a tube from the tower. BKH
Livin' the Dream

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 2:52pm
Fitz

Welcome aboard!
You may get grief regarding tubes in general. But a trick is to run the rope through the rear lifting ring, to the stock pylon. This will put the pull on the pylon and keep the rope from moving side to side.

Have Fun
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FITZ842001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 3:07pm
Got it installed. Thought I would share some pics. Enjoy!

I have 2 wakeboard racks on order that have variable mounting angles so they will work on my angled back bars.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 3:47pm
I think you need a Bayliner I/O. Just think, you could put people in the back and pull tubes all day long with it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 4:07pm
Fitz

Welcome to the site sharp looking boat you have. Incase you have not noticed tubes don't go over well with a very large portion of the group. Don't let them get you down. There just messing with you. Glad to hear you and kinds plan on doing some boarding off it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 4:11pm
I should have clarified Fitz. Many here are dead set against tubes. I'm not one of them. Tubes have a time and place in my mind. Nevertheless, I don't pull tubes from my tower. Welcome to CCFan. Looks like you did a nice job with your installation. BKH
Livin' the Dream

baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 4:32pm
BKH,
Is that a new dimension tower? It looks just like what I want for my 84 2001. Did you install it yourself?   Greg B
gb842001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FITZ842001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 8:31pm
This is a DIY Wake Slingshot tower. Yes I installed it myself. Very easy once you get everything lined up. Took 4 people to hold while I marked everything. Seems very strong.
DIY Wake also has alot of extras for the towers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 9:51pm
Bauman, if you were in fact asking about my tower, it is an OEM tower from CC. Second generation FCT. However, the newdimension towers look exactly the same. BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 10:29am
Fitz, Congrats on the boat purchase and the tower install. Looks like you did a nice job.

Ps, I hope you're not the one who bent that bow stop, if so you need to drive on just a little bit easier.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by baumanmt baumanmt wrote:

BKH,
Is that a new dimension tower? It looks just like what I want for my 84 2001. Did you install it yourself?   Greg B

This is a new dimensions tower on my 83 2001...

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 1:00pm
tullfooter love your rope trick, I was considering buying one of those flight pipes to open up the back seat, but not anymore.
86 2001
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 3:05pm
I love it, you guys got a tower before a windsheild. Those towers are sweet and look like they match the boat really well. No offense, but I think the sling shot towers look horible. ( just an opinion ).
gb842001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic