NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Introducing myself-

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:46pm
I think quite a few guys here would hold a sale for another with arrangements made. We like to consider ourselves a good bunch!

My best advice is don't push it. It'll come along when it's supposed to.

The yellow I was referring to is the 1 on this thread...hopefully the '77 is RH drive...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:55pm
No, dont get me wrong, I think that is great that hes holding it for a guy. I have just screwed myself out of selling stuff a couple of times for waiting...now money up front to hold it is a different situation.

Oh I dont know to much about the boat that posted pics on this thread. I just seen it at a local dealer and was going to go look at it tomorrow but then I was told to stay away from it because of the reasons listed on here.

I was thinking about going and looking at it anyways just to drive it and see what it is like, it is about 45 minutes south of where I live and its at a dealer so I dont care if I play mind games with them

What is LH and RH drive mean? left hand and right hand? I dont understand the difference? The prop runs opposites?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by tazman7 tazman7 wrote:

What is LH and RH drive mean? left hand and right hand? I dont understand the difference? The prop runs opposites?

You got it. Looking from the back of the boat, which way does the prop turn (to go forward). That will be the same rotation all the way up the drivetrain. Not until 1989 did CC use a PCM transmission that actually reversed the rotation of the engine, so you'd be looking at a RH prop with a LH engine. Wrap your mind around that one...

Oh, and I wasn't trying to get you totally off that boat, but just pointing out some issues you may not have known about.
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:23pm
So that means that it is an aftermarket trans of some sorts?
No I thank you for pointing that out, I probably wouldnt have even noticed that part.

But I guess I dont understand why that is so bad?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:29pm
It means it's an aftermarket prop, trans, and engine. Who knows from where, and why?

The physics of it will twist the boat down on the driver side, and up on the passenger. If you're the only one in the boat while driving this will only amplify the tilt. This can be overcome with other passengers to balance it out. The narrow beam of that hull isn't helping.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:38pm
Taz, stay with HW on this...when I said what I did about the educated buyer, I meant that you'd want 2K+ off of the price. I was thinking of how long it's been there and that the owner may be tired of trying to get rid of it. That's bargaining power in my book or no sale! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:45pm
Ok now I am putting 2 and 2 together. Yeah thats no good...maybe I will just stick to this one I am interested in, in Joliet. Just wish the guy wouldnt be holding it for someone.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:30am
Taz, I feel that you need to do some searching here on this site and read about what a straight inboard is all about. It really wouldn't hurt to spend some time with this search feature. Start with "rotation" and see what comes up.
Is the cottage on lake Ripley new to your folks? It just sounds like you are new to the water. Have you looked at a I/O? It may be a nice starter boat for you especially considering your preference to a certain water activity. Here's one up in Three Lakes Wi. that's for sale.

1986 Rinker 170 (open bow)
17' 140 HP I/O Mercruiser
new lower unit July 2006
removable 7'6" wake/ski pylon
convertable top
full camping canvas w/windows
very good condition
swim ladder
low hours
Rinker fiberglass stringer system

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:47am
Originally posted by tazman7 tazman7 wrote:

that the boat is in great shape. There are some stress cracks near the bottom of the boat but that is normal.

Don't let anyone tell you that stress cracks are "normal". Yes they are very "Typical" on older boats but not normal and are a starting point for price concession. There is always a reason for stress cracks, some are from severe structural problems and some are from just good old wear and tear on a well used boat but all should be factored in when buying. Some cracks are cosmetic and others are an indication that work will need to be done so "Buyer beware" and as Pete suggested, do plenty of reading and ask all the questions you have here before plunking down any cash. You're lucky because there are plenty of guys in this area that could possibly look at a boat with you. Be patient.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:22pm
No my family had had the cottage for 20 years and we have always had a bayliner to use for skiing and none of us like it because it breaks down more than it runs along with many other reasons. We have always wanted to buy a ski boat and I have been saving my money so im just going to buy it since they pay everything else at the lake (taxes, food,bills). Just want something that I can call my own and pull around and use it where I want to go and not have them be able to say no we are using it this weekend or anything else. I dont like i/o's for probably the same reason as people on here, bow rise, turning capabilities, motor placement in the rear, how unsafe they are, having to turn the motor off everytime someone jumps out or jumps in...just a pain in the a**.
Im not new to the water, I have just been out of the "sport" for a few years because of a broken boat. My dad is an avid tournament fisherman who owns a Triton TR21 so he has a pretty good knowledge on boats to, just not true ski boats, as he has never owned one.

No I was the one who said that stress cracks are normal, I didnt really mean normal but in my experience with boats I have never seen one without some sort of stress crack in the gel coat. My dads 2003 boat has stress cracks...I know thats something that you need to look closely at.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 2:47pm
Taz, The straight inboard engine has been around before the internal combustion engine took over from the steam engine. There are many boats that are inboards that are not as you call them "true ski boats". Read up on them as it sounds like everyone on Lake Ripley owns a Bayliner I/O and only tubes! Tell your dad that at one time people actually used them for fishing!
From a safety standpoint, you are very mislead to believe that a inboard is different than a I/O as far as shutting off the engine when people are in the water.
Start doing some research and do take it slow. From your "cash in hand" comments, it sounds like you have this money burning a hole in your pocket! It can get you in trouble if you make any quick decisions.
Maintenance on a inboard is really no different than a I/O. Instead of a lower unit, you have a transmission. It sounds like you have had issues with the Bayliner. Don't expect problems to go away just because you have a inboard. What problems have you had with it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 4:12am
This boat definatly has a left hand motor in it . I stopped on my way by today . I looked at the prop . Left hand .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic