NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ITS ALIVE!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ITS ALIVE!!!!
    Posted: April-02-2008 at 10:55pm
The nautique came home last week and I was wating for the weather to break before I put it on water. With the new fuel pump and distributor it purrs like a kitten. (a rather scary kitten). Just need to set the timing and idle again and it will be gravy for the summer. It had a problem with the pump making to much pressure Soo I guess the little rubber valves in the old one were gettin to hard with age and making to much pressure. The new one acted like it was going to do that too but after a few minutes run time(pump break in i guess)It cleared up and ran like a champ.

Heres a short vid of it running. Got a little carried away with the revs but comon I haven't heard it almost 7 months:) Enjoy.

I crank it up to about 3200 once to get the slalom pass sound haha.

the nautique
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 11:00pm
Sounds awesome!!

Can't wait to get mine out and fired up!!
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:13am

Phatsat,that sounds just like spring. I can't wait.   FARMER
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:05pm
Careful with the revs, the garden hose can't even keep up with 2k rpm.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Careful with the revs, the garden hose can't even keep up with 2k rpm.

But it should still supply enough water to keep the impeller lubed. I wouldnt suggest extended running at higher RPM's in neutral for any reason at all- but a quick blip or 2 while on the hose wont toast your impeller.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:26pm
Or, you could use the bucket method and let that thing EAT.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:27pm
Yep and that blip or two is the highlight of the year for my next door neighbor, I couldn't possibly deny him the pleasure.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:33pm
Blips are fine, but a clear vinyl non-reinforced 1" ID hose will collapse at about 2k.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Blips are fine, but a clear vinyl non-reinforced 1" ID hose will collapse at about 2k.

I guess thats the beauty of a tee for the hose that doesnt shut off the path to the intake grate. Any pressure created by the RWP in excess of the water supply will pull in air from the grate rather than collapsing the hose.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Yep and that blip or two is the highlight of the year for my next door neighbor, I couldn't possibly deny him the pleasure.

LOL!     I'm guessing sarcasm? Now that yall have me knocking my baffles out or going with straight pipe...?!!?    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 3:37pm
Man... that sounds like music to my ears!!!
Just hooked up my computer to my stereo... Make that music sound right! (Guess my neighbours heard it too)

Come on spring!!!!!!!!!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 3:48pm
WOW..that sounds amazing. I was sitting in front of my Computer with my eyes closed hahah!!!
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:08pm
Haha thanks. I cant wait to get it in the water. I think im taking out to the local ski club private lake to do a little test and tune. I had it hooked to the hose not t'd in. Ran great at 155 degrees. Im happy it starts with no pumps now that it has the new distributor in it. I need to order a new impeller and some exhaust flaps from ski Dim maybe some new hoses too. Good news no leaks anywhere and its got new oil in it now. Only things left to do are install the horns, change tranny fluid, and finish the seats from when I built the new bases. Then its ski time:)

BTW I was only blippin to 2000ish with the one 3200.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Im happy it starts with no pumps now that it has the new distributor in it.

What other factors are involved with a smooth, pumpless start?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:50pm
it's all in the ignition and carb tuning Kevin, I could disconnect the throtle linkage at the carb and hit the key after a winters lay-up and get it to fire and idle instantly.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:29pm
Last year I went through the carb with new needles and seats floats power valve everything and adjusted to holly specs. It still had to much psi and was peeing fuel out of the primary boosters. I fixed that for the summer by piping in a fuel pressure regulater set at 5psi. Upon taking the pump apart, my theroy is that the little rubber valves got old and hard from sitting around in fuel for 22 years and they werent letting the pressure bleed off thus making it have to many psi.

The starting problem was the Horrible old distributor it had in it. The advance plate was totally wasted. You could move the thing back and forth freely without moving the shaft. The weight studs were also as loose as could be.

I found a good deal on an 87 style screw down distributor for 45 bucks. I ordered a new rotor and cap to match the new one and replaced the ballast resistor to go back to points(had electronic). Put it in set the timing and from then on it started off one crank.

So now the fuel system is totally rebuilt and or new and so is the ignition system. Accell super coil too.

I also swapped my dads holley off the mastercrap onto my boat and mine onto his both carbs produced the same fuel out of the boosters. My carb ran great on my dads boat.

It had a small miss on the top end just sometimes others it would run perfectly. Hopefully that problem will be solved by the new pump and the new distributor. Im also going to re fuel line it all and throw a new water/fuel seperator on it. While the lines are off isnt there some type of check valve or something in the puckup tube that gets cloged up from time to time on these? Ill check that too if you tell me how.

Oh ya I also checked every where for vacuum leaks(you cant hear any either) from the carb base to the PCV to the carb spacer to the intake manifold gaskets. All good.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:51pm
Install the correct marine fuel pump and throw the regulator in the trash, replace the lines from the pump to carb with stainless or steel.Make sure the pressure lines are Coast Guard approved,
The fitting goes at the fuel pickup at the tank and is called an anti-siphon valve. It stops fuel from leaking into the bilge if you punture a fuel line , again as with the metal fuel line is SAFETY.........Boat dr
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:54pm
I know doc. It now has a new fuel pump from ski dim. The old one was original. I ordered a new fuel like too because my dad though it would be a good idea to move it and forget where he put it. It had braided stainless lines on it for the summer but I wanted to go back with the solid obviously. I just kept a close Eye on the fuel lines all summer long. 123 hours :).

So is the anti siphon valve in the elbow where the rubber fuel line attaches?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic