Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator external diode

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator external diode
    Posted: March-28-2008 at 6:01am
Hi,

I was looking at the wiring on my alternator (on a '89 SN2001)... there is an external diode in-line with one of the wires... any idea what it is? I'm not sure which wire it is, but I'll check next time. I'm not sure if it is the exciter or the output...

Anyone noticed this on their alternator?

Cheers
Greg
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 2:24pm
The diode is in place to prevent a back feed from your alternator to the ignition. Remove this device and the motor will not DIE when the ignition switch is turned to OFF.....
If the diode is turned around or reversed the alternator will not energize.......Boat dr
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 6:42pm
Okay, thanks for the info... ;-)

It is probably in line with the exciter supply then - allowing current to flow from the ignition to the exciter of the alternator, but not the other way round.

Is this diode normally mounted on the alternator, or just wired in-line with the wiring harness? Mine is just wired in-line with electrical terminals, which doesn't look very OEM..

Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:30pm
Can anyone confirm that the diode is just "in-line" with electrical terminals?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 1:55am
Greg the diode does not need to be mounted to anything. Just make sure the connections/leads on the diode are insulated to that you don't have a shorting problem. Heat shrink is good. I'm assuming this is an aftermarket upgrade (alternator),... is that right? The biggest reason to mount a diode would be for heat dissipation. This circuit doesn't flow enough current for that to be an issue.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 12:22pm
nuttyskier2002 - Thanks for the info...

The diode was poorly installed, and I have soldered it in line and used heat shrink already.

What I'm really asking is if this is how the boats came from the factory... with an external diode? Or do they have a diode inside the alternator?

I am not sure if my alternator is original or not - it is a Presolite. I think the previous owner had it re-wound and reconditioned.

Thanks,
Greg

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

The biggest reason to mount a diode would be for heat dissipation.

explain that to me, I don't see how it could have any heat dissipating property's, know it was never used that way on any Delcotron unit.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 12:38pm
Greg, get out of the problem and into the solution. The diode was installed after the fact, possibly the wrong alt.After run from a back feed would allow the engine to run after the key was turned off.
Now is a good time to install a one wire GM 10 SI.
Different systems use different wiring configurations,one is not right or wrong .............Boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 1:36pm
Greg, Don't worry about the looks - Under the dash is even worse!! I remember Woody stating that the OMC's came from the factory with the diode in line. They dipped the whole thing in red potting compound.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

The biggest reason to mount a diode would be for heat dissipation.

explain that to me, I don't see how it could have any heat dissipating property's, know it was never used that way on any Delcotron unit.

Some diodes have heat dissipation properties and some don't. It depends on the style. I haven't seen the style of diode used in his application. The one I used on mine is the type that would normally be mounted in a heat sink. I was merely stating that in his case that wasn't a factor. I totally agree that his alternator wiring is not factory original.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 8:01am
Thanks for all the info... :D

The setup works fine at the moment, so I'm not going to replace anything. I just didn't like the way the diode was installed inline, so I wanted to make that more secure.

It seems like most OEM setups don't have the diode inline with the wiring, so I assume they are fitted inside or onto the back of the alternator.

I looked at the alternator on Skidim, and it looks like it has a diode mounted to the back. It has an extra electrical post though which I don't think mine has :)

Oh well, I'll leave it as it is for now... thanks again for all the info!

http://www.skidim.com/images/RA097006.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic