NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4th time on ebay

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th time on ebay
    Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:19am
The Doc called me one day about this Hot Rod Special because he knew it looked a lot like my little Atom Skier. It is the same hull but a stripped down version. He asked me about it's value as well as why the owner is having a hard time selling it. I feel that it was one of those emotional purchases that the buyer just had to have, paid too much and is now trying to recoup his money. The boat is certainly pretty but not restored in the true sence. Over restored and non - original items. The older the boat and especially with wood originality is key. The other big problem is the wood boat market sadly hasn't recognized Correct Crafts yet. The day will come. The one good thing the seller has going is the Hot Rod Special is a very rare model. When the seller listed the boat the second time on ebay,I did email him asking if the awards he mentioned in his ad where from a ACBS judged show which would be a major plus no matter what the numbers of points it got. He did respond saying that the awards were not from a ACBS show. It must be the CC reunion awards. This would still be a nice boat to have if the price was lower.

Hot Rod Special

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:32am
Doesn't the guy want something like $15k for it. Look at the funky black strip with holes that runs along the floor next to the hull. $15k is probably a lot for that boat if it were perfectly restored.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:45am
I was in there the first time it was on ebay Pete. I think you gave me a high figure of around $13,000 or so. I bid up to about that point, but it went higher. I have emailed this seller (which is the one that bought it before) & ask why he was selling it so soon. He told me he was a dealer & him & his partner thought the first seller didn't market it well & they bought it to resell for a profit. Doesn't look like his great deal worked out so well. I still like the boat. We were both born the same year!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

He told me he was a dealer & him & his partner thought the first seller didn't market it well & they bought it to resell for a profit. Doesn't look like his great deal worked out so well. I still like the boat.

"didn't market it well"!! Sounds to me they didn't research that market!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Look at the funky black strip with holes that runs along the floor next to the hull.

Bruce, The "funky black strip" is actually part of the funky engineering at CC!! The "restorer" added the holes but the filler strip between the ribs is original. The Atom has got the filler (less the holes) too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:00pm

He told me he was a dealer & him & his partner thought the first seller didn't market it well & they bought it to resell for a profit.

I kind of consider eBay a marketing failure, followed by craigslist.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

He told me he was a dealer & him & his partner thought the first seller didn't market it well & they bought it to resell for a profit.

I kind of consider eBay a marketing failure, followed by craigslist.

To me, nether would be a place to market a old wood boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:44pm
This site is the best place to sell a boat like that, or perhaps Pete knows of one for wood boat enthusiasts that may create some activity. When I decided to sell the Paragon it was this site that all the activity came from including the ultimate buyer, I did search for a "Wood Boat" site and did not find one, considered E-Bay for about a second but never listed it there.

Pete, what do you think that boat should sell for? It looks very nice in the pic's.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:54pm
Quinner,

Here is the topic from where it was listed before.

Hot Rod Special
Greg

86 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I did search for a "Wood Boat" site and did not find one,

antique/wood boats for sale site

Not exactly the right site for a Paragon, but pretty good for old wood boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 9:48pm
Chris, When the Hot Rod was on ebay the first time I told Greg (skicat) that I wouldn't go over 13K and I feel that is still a good figure.

The above link that Larry posted is one of the antique & classic brokers. There seems to be tons of them lately! All looking for BIG bucks from people with BIG bucks!!!

If I wanted to sell, I certainly would avoid a broker and just place a classified ad in Classic boating, The Rudder (ACBS publication), as well as many of the chapter newsletters. This combination would get it to the correct people. The word gets around. I would list it on CCfan but don't feel it really would get to to many wood boat guys.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:34pm
With a reserve of $13.9K, it looks like he is in the general area. It might be had for under $13K.

This is a plywood boat, right?
Plywood boats will always lag in value behind plank constructed boats by a substantial amount.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:39pm
Steve, I think this is the first time he has listed it with a "buy it now" price. That's not the same as a reserve price is it? Coming down to 13.9 sounds like he is getting serious about selling it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 12:15am
No Pete, the reserve price (the very minimum price he will accept)can and usually is different than the Buy It Now price, although they are often close.

For instance, he might have a $12.5K reserve but is offering up a $13.9K Buy It Now for anyone who does not want to take the chance of losing it at the auction.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

No Pete, the reserve price (the very minimum price he will accept)can and usually is different than the Buy It Now price, although they are often close.

That's what I thought but I don't think I've ever seen a reserve price listed and the reason I asked. Am I missing it? Where is the reserve price?

Steve, I just noticed that the last bidder on the Hot Rod is R**D. Are you out shopping ?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 11:34am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Am I missing it? Where is the reserve price?

Steve, I just noticed that the last bidder on the Hot Rod is R**D. Are you out shopping ?

The reserve price is a deep dark secret that only the seller and eBay's dark, magical database knows (i.e. it is not published on the page). Sometimes, the seller will divulge his reserve in a personal message, but it usually is in his advantage to keep quiet.

Now, Pete, if I was shopping for a magohany beauty, as our resident 'wooden sage', you'd have been the first to know!

Besides, the first woodie on my shopping list would be a 20' to 21' Chris Craft Rivera or Capri with a V8.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Besides, the first woodie on my shopping list would be a 20' to 21' Chris Craft Rivera or Capri with a V8.

How about a Riva with a 502?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How about a Riva with a 502?

Of course a Riva is the dream woodie. However, a really nice, fresh Capri could be had for $20K - $30K while a Riva starts at $100K, right?

Unless you know where I can get a Riva for Rivera money?

Lets power walk at the mall before we start triathlons... OK, Pete?
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 1:25am

What is a Riva ?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 1:44am
Riva is an Italian maker of beautiful wooden inboard boats. Many believe they are the best looking boats ever made. They've become extremely collectable, and extremely expensive. Go to google and do a search on Riva Boats. They're worth the time to take a peak. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:53pm
Well, the Hot Rod Special didn't sell this time on ebay ether!! Only 7 bids the highest being $8988.00 He should have sold it the first time! Maybe now he will learn that ebay isn't a great place to market a old wood boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
greatrumpet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 2:33am
I've noticed a general decline in the market on ebay. I'm a semi- pro trumpet player, and ive seen used trumpets that would have sold for $1,700 to $2000 sell recently for about a grand. The gas prices and ecomomy are drying up peoples buying power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic