NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sharp Woodie on Ebay

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharp Woodie on Ebay
    Posted: September-17-2007 at 11:56pm
Check out this CC Special. That will probably be an expensive sale!

57 CC Special
Greg

86 BFN
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:15am
Yes, Very nice !!!

Mike
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:23am
Ok Pete. Speak up.

looks nice put maybe too nice
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:35am
What kind of idiot would want to sell that?
Tim D
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 1:40am
Awesome.....79 I agree....where is Pete when we need a comment from our "keep it original" expert?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:22am
I think that boat was at seaworld, it had so many people around it I could not get pic of it, if its the boat it is awesome!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 8:16am
I'm hear! It was just posted past my bed time last night!! (remember I'm in to work at 3am) That is indeed a Hot Rod special and looks like the guy put some big time man hours into it. It is the only Hot Rod I'm aware of. There are a few minor things but mostly original. We all have a tendency to over restore and this too is a example. Believe me, the boat didn't look that good from the CC factory!! Even Chris Crafts, Century's and Garwoods only had about 3 coats of varnish on them. It will be very interesting to see what $$ it goes for and if he will even get his reserve. He and I will never recoup the $$ if we add in our man hours but in his case, he had someone do the work. These projects are a true labor of love!! I have no idea why he wants to sell it. I wouldn't sell mine unless something major happened in my life. I'm planning on retiring and building a inventory like Reids only in wood!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:30am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

I think that boat was at seaworld

I would say thats a pretty safe bet.

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:43am
Pete, no windshield from the factory?
Was it an option?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:47am
No windshield and it doesn't show up as a option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 1:00pm
I've seen bigger tires on lawnmowers than that trailer.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:39pm
So is that a prime example of a "trailer queen" ?

I could not imagine wanting to soil that pretty boat...... just keep collecting trophies.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:12am
Can you imagine how cool you musta been if you had one of these in '57.....pulling it with your '57 Chevy?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:26am
jbear, Obviously not as cool as the guy pulling it with a 57 Ford !!!
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:43am
that boat is just screaming out for a tower and some bazooka tubes
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:04am
Larry, that made me snort wine out my nose! Ya...and it needs some fat sacs in it!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 2:43am
You cannot be serious Pat...and I am a Ford guy. But anyone knows...nothing compares to a '57 Chevy. The Fords of that era weren't even close.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

But anyone knows...nothing compares to a '57 Chevy. The Fords of that era weren't even close.

john

You mean somewhere between the 50s and today?

I'm the high bidder on the boat right now! We'll see if he lowers his reserve to my $2k max!
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 2:55pm
It's up to $2,025.00 now............ you got screwed
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:37pm
I called the phone number on the ebay listing to see if I could get some info on the restoration of the boat. The person who is listing the boat is a friend of the owner/restorer who is Doug Duke. He is going to pass on my phone # to Doug and see if he will call me. The reason it is for sale is Doug cut his hand off in a radial arm saw and I guess just wants to get rid of it. Doug is basicly into cars and I got the impression he has done boats but this is his first wood boat. This was one of my first thoughts when I saw the boat and is a concern of mine. The materials used on metal are not friendly on wood. I hope he calls me and we can talk since he does sound like a interesting person.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 8:20pm
jbear Just pulling your chain. You are correct the 57 Chevy is very sharp . Right next to my 67 442.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 12:12am
Very cool car Pat. Always liked 442's. I had a '68 Cutlass with a Rocket 350. Nice fast car.

HW; The 50's weren't that lond ago...were they? Really I was only 6 in '57. But when I was in high school in the late 60's the '57 was a cool car. I did not have one. I was definatly not cool...I had a VW.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 7:59am
I got a phone call back from Ted who has listed the Hot Rod for Doug Duke on Ebay. I'm sorry that Doug didn't call me but was told by Ted that Doug may decide not to call. I did get some answers and some good and bad. I did toy with the idea at first to bid on this boat because although already "restored" (I like to do the boat myself) it may be the only Hot Rod around. The good is he used epoxy to put the boat together. This is a approved method to most ACBS judges. He used Awlgrip paints and varnish which although not my first choice on wood is a fine product and on top of the epoxy will be fine. The bad is that the Awlgrip varnish on bright work is not noted for it's UV protection. This means that the boat is for show and should not be out in the sun! Unlike restored cars which are mostly showed and not used, restored boats are used more than shown. There are some other inconsistency's that would be point deductions in a ACBS judged show that Doug Duke may not be aware of. Chances are he got the boat that way. I must say again that he put in lots of man hours on a very pretty looking boat. His effort is noteworthy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 10:49am
Pete,

With that being said, what is the value of a fine looking boat like that? Are the problems things that can be fixed easy enough?
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 11:25am
Greg, Putting prices on wood boats can be a real challenge. The extreamly rare and old boats are the only ones that are getting big bucks and those are always being sold to collectors who have the money anyway! You will even see here that the older glass CC's are priced all over the place. I have mentioned that if he included his man hours spent on the restoration he will not come out ahead. To compound the price problem on this Hot Rod, the Correct Craft wood does not have the status of say a Chris, Garwood, Century, etc. When talking with Ted, He found out that I was deeply involved with the ACBS and knew my wood boats so he asked me the same question. With all this said, I would say that the boat is worth about 13K but keep in mind that you always need to find a buyer with any sale!! I did not get any indication from him what the reserve price is but he did mention that he felt that it is too low. Of coarse when you are selling something you typically feel the item is worth more than it is!!

The problem with the lack of UV protection can be solved by sanding the bright work and then re varnishing with a top of the line marine spar varnish. Hopefully it will stick to the Awlgrip that is on the boat. Besides some incorrect hardware and rub rail, the upholstery needs some work. The seat bottoms would have been USCG cushions. This of coarse is only required if you are planning on a correct restoration.

Are you thinking about it??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 11:59am
Pete,

It would be a nice boat to have in the garage. I would be afraid to use it much though. I would hate to have that one rub up against the dock. I am sure you are the same way with yours. I have not seen one of those before & don't know if I would see one again. Expensive toy to just look at!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:04pm
The reserve must have been 15K. On ebay, don't bids below the reserve show up? There is the big gap between the 13K and the 15K in the bidding history. Looks almost like the winning bidder knew what the reserve was. Where's are ebay experts? stang?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 4:22pm
Pete- The last bid was at $13,250 before the final bid. I was in till that point & decided to quit there. Once the reserve is made, the bid jumps up to that total. So the guy that got it could have bid $15,500, but no other bids raised his up beyond the reserve. The reserve must have been the $15,250 that he got it for I think.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 8:14pm
Greg, So, you were bidding!!! I think you were smart and stopped when you did. The guy who won the bidding sort of came out of nowhere but I do know that is a technique people use. I feel it will be a few years before the buyer could even get close to his money back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 8:51pm
Pete,
    That is a well know technique on e-bay. Actually you can get some software that would post your bid in the last second. Myself, I figure the maximun I am willing to pay. When is about 11 second to be over I start counting and place my bid when I think their is about 2 second left. I never bid before the end because I want people to think that their is not a lot people interested. If they know about more people interested then they will start raising the price too early and that's when people get carried away. Is a gambling technique but works most of the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic