Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

84 SN 2001 Drive Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 SN 2001 Drive Shaft
    Posted: March-15-2008 at 3:10pm
Hi Everyone,
My 84 is new to me, and my first inboard direct drive boat, and I'm very excited for the lake to thaw out, so I can see if she even runs. I spent a long time last night reading the post on this site talking about alignment of the drive line. I wasn't able to sleep last night, worried that I would adjust it wrong and cost myself $1700.00. I was about to redo the flax rope in my stuffing box, but I'm scared to mess with the drive shaft and get something out of alignment. Will redoing my flax rope effect my alignment? I also have to trailer my boat about 8 miles every time I use it, does this mean I should recheck it every time I get it in the water? I know that the safety collar is suppose to be about an inch away and needs safety wire.   
gb842001
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 5:35pm
Greg, do it once a season. your stuffing box looks to be in pretty good shape..why do you want to change it if i may ask?
i would move the safety collar 1/2" or so though
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 8:10pm
Greg, I'm with Eric - why do you want to repack the stuffing box? If it is leaking (more that 3 to 4 drops per min which in normal) tighten it up some and give it a try. The stuffing box is only keeping the water from entering the boat and doesn't have anything to do with alignment. The safety collar looks like it is missing the set screw and the reason it has slipped back against the packing nut.

Great to have you find this great site. There is tons of knowledge here from many people. Keep us informed and don't hesitate asking any questions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:04am
Thanks you guys for helping me with all my questions, I stole my boat for 4200.00 and am just trying to do any spring time maintenance I can and trying to avoid 2,000 dollar trany issues.    I think I will concentrate on the alignment and wait until the boat gets in the water to see if the stuffing box is necessary. I love this site and am on it way too much already and its still winter here. I would like to chat with people on the2001.com site, but I cant seem to get logged in! (probably a good thing) Anyway thanks again for all the help. Here is a pic of my motor, do you guys think this is a good setup (commander?) Thanks baumanmt
gb842001
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:23am
no those commanders don't look right you should switch exhaust manifolds with jbear, for his cast iron PCM's
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:47am
I will be glad to pay the freight...nice upgrade for you too. They'll make your boat a little heavier in the water to make it ride smoother.

LOL Greg....just having a little fun....79 knows how much I want a set of those Commanders.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:53pm
so am I such a dumb -ss that the motor is a 351 windsor and the commander is just the exhaust manifolds, and are they nice and loud?
gb842001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 12:59pm
commander and pcm are both companies that marinized the 351w ford motor and sold them. One of the differences in how they marinized them was the exhaust manifolds. There are others as well. My experience is the commander manifolds are louder, at least when both manifolds are ported.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic