Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing the Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Buckeye1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing the Nautique
    Posted: March-13-2008 at 12:28pm
I wanted to get input from you guys on towing my SN for longer distances, let's say in excess 100 miles. 1.) Do you typically trailer it with cover on or off? I usually leave the cover off to keep from damaging the gel by the cover moving in the wind, flapping, ect.. plus to limit the addl. wear and tear on the cover. 2.) Other comments, recommendations, to insure a safe pull over longer distances? Thanks for your thoughts.
John
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 12:56pm
I typically leave my cover off for distance towing as mine are considered moring covers, and will indeed cause wear on the boat and cover just as John said. Some members here have the towing covers like TRBenj. Of course everyone needs to carry at least one spare, but for the long trips we also bring spare bearings kit(s), grease gun, small floor jack, several 2x's, a four way, and lots of rags.

John, Green Lake would be great test trip definitely in excess of 100 miles (X9 actually). Plus, there's always safety in numbers if you join in our caravan.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:08pm
I have a canvas towing tarp that I use for long distance trips.I mainly put it on in case I run into rain.It works fine as long as you tie it off properly.I've never had a problem with damaging the gelcoat either.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:11pm
What reid said, plus resist the urge to use your boat as a utility trailer on long trips, the less weight on those tires the longer and faster they will run without blowing up. Overload them and they will turn to mush at high speeds. After the first 15-20 minutes at highway speeds I pull over to check the temp of the wheels and bearings, the tires get warm, if they are hot thats an issue with loading. The bearing hub really shouldnt even be warmer than ambient. Continue to check at every gas stop. Usually jack up the trailer and check the bearing feel if I notice any excess heat, and before I turn around for the return trip.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:16pm
Reid,

Looking ahead to my journey to the Beer Fest in Green Lake, I get all of you items but the 2 x 4's. Are these long ones, short ones, what do you use them for? You might want to put a few extra bulbs for the trailers in as well Reid!

I also take my cover off for towing.
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:36pm
Definitely tow with the cover off unless you have a trailerable cover. Most covers arent tight enough and will mar the gel. My Rankin works beautifully, but before I had it, I only towed with the cover off.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 1:45pm
Greg, I just bring several short 2x6's for the jack to sit on in case I'm off the shoulder, where I've unfortunately been several times. We typtically also try to bring along a small air tank. And yes, we do bring extra 1157 bulbs. We just don't always install them.

Also keep a good watch on your tie-down straps and make sure, esp on older boats/trailers. I like to put a soft cloth on the gunnel under the strap, and don't strap it to the bunks underneath to where it's tight across the chine. This will wear quickly on your gel on that corner. I feel it best to pull straight down from the gunnel to the frame behind the wheel.

And good points Joe, as we do the exact same.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 2:13pm
Thanks to all. I think I have about everything on your lists above, but what is 1157 bulbs? Have any of you ever come up with a neat and clean way to carry a grease gun?

Not sure if I will make it to GL but leaving NC next week for West Palm Beach (700 mile trip). The wife needs her spring fix at the beach, so I am dragging the '06 SN196 to Okeeheelee Park for some slalom skiing. It will be a nice change to the cool water in Lake Norman.
John
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 2:22pm
The 1157 bulb is the typical bulb used for the trailer lights.
Greg

86 BFN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 2:48pm
Also don't forget the transom strap, for any distance.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 2:52pm
They are bulbs with the Brake (Turn) and running lights in the same bulb. Two filaments in the bulb.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Reid,

Looking ahead to my journey to the Beer Fest in Green Lake,

Excuse me, this is a well respected, concourse de' eleganze type reunion and show. Everyone is expected to conduct themselves properly and respectfully...

Oh hell, nevermind hahahaha....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:06pm
John,

Like the other guys said tow without the cover if possible just be sure everything in the boat is secure and will not blow out and your boat trunk doors are secured and it's not a bad idea to even lock them as well. In the event (Rain) you are forced to put the cover on if the cover has tie down loops using a cotton cloths line works well to secure those to the trailer without any worries of scratching the boat or the trailer. Does your trailer have oil bath hubs? If so check the level plus all around the hub for any signs of leaks, if brakes on the trailer you may also have a few Zurk (grease) fittings you can hit up around the tongue. Check tire air pressure always. If parking overnight anywhere remotely questionable it's also not a bad idea to add locks on your receiver and trailer
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 12:07am
Check out the bolts that hold the leaf springs to the trailer and she shakel more importantly the shakel ones because they wear. I had one break last year at the ramp but someone was able to bring me a new one at the lake to put on before i loaded the boat back on the trailer.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 10:56am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

.... If parking overnight anywhere remotely questionable it's also not a bad idea to add locks on your receiver and trailer

This is very important.
I think it was 2 years ago, there was a guy who lost his CC at a hotel. He locked his trailer to the ball, but the a-holes who stole his boat just pulled the pin from his receiver and transfered it to theirs.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:56am
You can do away with the 1157 bulbs if your using LED. I converted every bulb to a LED
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Buckeye1nc Buckeye1nc wrote:

Not sure if I will make it to GL but leaving NC next week for West Palm Beach (700 mile trip). The wife needs her spring fix at the beach, so I am dragging the '06 SN196 to Okeeheelee Park for some slalom skiing. It will be a nice change to the cool water in Lake Norman.

That's funny. We're going to NC for spring break for our spring fix!

I thought you had to have a membership to Okeeheelee in order to drop in there?

Also, I have a full spare hub for the trailer, pre-packed with races, bearings, and grease. This way if I blow a bearing on the highway I clean off the spindle and slide the new hub right on. It hasn't happened yet but I certainly think of it as a "Vacation Saver". I don't want to be pounding out races on the side of the highway.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 4:43pm
[QUOTE=M3Fan] [QUOTE=Buckeye1nc]

That's funny. We're going to NC for spring break for our spring fix!

I thought you had to have a membership to Okeeheelee in order to drop in there?

Yes I heard there was a group going to Coble for Spring break, but a.) my wife wants to go to the beach. b.) she wants a warmer beach than NC. c.) I'm in charge at our house, unless my wife is home!, so we're going to FL.

Okeeheelee is located in a public park in West Palm Beach. The only requirement is that the boat be USA Waterski approved towboat and you purchase a permit from Palm Beach County (for an out of stater, it is currently $135 for a one year permit).
John
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

You can do away with the 1157 bulbs if your using LED. I converted every bulb to a LED

I think I might do this to my trailer as well as paint it steve. Are your led brake lights alot more visible during the day than the regular lights?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 6:39pm
I'll bet Pete won't use LED's.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I think I might do this to my trailer as well as paint it steve. Are your led brake lights alot more visible during the day than the regular lights?

I have them on my trailer, and they are the best thing I've ever had. They're definitely brighter, at night, and during the day. On mine, the 3 light bar is pushed forward in front of the prop, and I've been told it's bright enough to be irritating...not a bad thing, IMO. I like the ones on the fender as well, since they make keeping an eye on the trailer in the mirrors a little easier at night. Plus, they're submersible. I can't imagine you'd be disappoineted with them.

Rob
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 10:58pm
Buckeye: Unless you have family in West Palm, we got lots of nice lakes here. We most always have a lake to ourselves, especially this time of year...and no charge here in Polk county. Lots of ski schools in the area. Big plus...won't cost you $135 for a permit. Put the dough in the gas tank....not some county workers pocket.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:39pm
Back to the original question...

I always tow with the cover on. Don't want the road grime inside the boat to ruin my interior. It also keeps the gear inside. Plus, it always seems like I'm towing it in the rain to (or from) my secret ski spot (jbear, shhhhhh).

I added snaps to my cover last fall. Screwed the male side under the rub rail (like my brother-in-laws Sport). Can't wait to see how well it works compared to the drawstring and bungee cords.

Glen
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:45pm
Glen: I am a cover tower too. Hate that road dirt in my boat either.

As to the secret location...my brother also told me to cool it on mentioning it so often!

BTW: I had snaps on that custom cover I had made by that guy in Avon, before he went outa business, and I loved the way it fit. BTW...to bad he closed up...was almost as good as the Amish. Not cheap tho. You had yours "Amish done" didn't you?

Hows your dad? Tell him I said hi.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:55pm
John,
Had the Amish re-sew every seam a couple of years ago, but I added the snaps. I'm still on the original cover from '87.

Dad had a friend who had the clinching tool for the snaps, so we did the snaps ourselves. You know, we're pretty resourceful!! Not much Dad can't do, but you already knew that!!

Mom & Dad are doing great. Still on the go, and nothing slowing them down.

I'm jealous of the pics you posted a couple weeks ago with all you guys out cruising.

I trust all is well with you , Mrs jbear, and the rest of the family.

Can't wait to get back to the secret spot to reunite with the gang!!!

Glen
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 12:01am
Gotta agree on dad's skills. Never found anything he could not do or figure out. Was a great resource for me the years I was the VP.

Don't be jealous...join us next year during your winter. Your mom and dad were here. Maybe the first to visit us I think. You, the wife and family could enjoy mouse land and we'd get some boating in.

Mrs. jbear is doing just fine...thank-you.

I too look forward all year to getting back to the secret spot. All those years of all the group together....lotsa fun!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 10:51am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I'll bet Pete won't use LED's.

Reid, Yes I did buy a set of retro type lights for the restoration of my 55 TeeNee trailer!! The other trailers lights work so I really never saw the need to run out and buy a relatively expensive set of trendy lights! I also don't trailer as much as some.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 12:42pm
When I bought my boat nothing was stock as far as looks so I did not mind changing it to what I wanted. They do not show in the pic's of my boat; but, I now have LED lights on the top of my guide poles. Can see the trailer position at all time from the rear view mirror. Helps on backing. Also a good turn signal reminder. Can be bright for the people following to close for they are eye level. Lights are positioned so as to be even with the outer edges of the trailer fenders. I did have them on at GL last year.
Guess I am use to watching my outer limits in my mirrors from driving the party coach.
They are seen in frame 15 of the 2007 GL slide show.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I really never saw the need to run out and buy a relatively expensive set of trendy lights!

I guess like anything else, it's a matter of what you're willing to pay for. For me, a no brainer, to know every time I hook up the trailer, lights won't be a concern. Plus, the brighter they are, the less likely, in theory anyway, some moron is going to run up on you and smash into the boat. Trendy or not, I'm happy with their performance, and would still reccomend them.

Rob
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I have them on my trailer, and they are the best thing I've ever had. They're definitely brighter, at night, and during the day. On mine, the 3 light bar is pushed forward in front of the prop, and I've been told it's bright enough to be irritating...not a bad thing, IMO. I like the ones on the fender as well, since they make keeping an eye on the trailer in the mirrors a little easier at night. Plus, they're submersible. I can't imagine you'd be disappoineted with them.

Rob

Good deal. Im going to go full LED when I paint the trailer this summer hopefully. First things first it needs bunk carpet bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic