NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fastest Chrysler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastest Chrysler?
    Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:36pm
SO i see all the talk, OF who has the fastest boat. Most of what i see is alot of small ford motors. I know much more about them, since im a big Mustang guy.

Dont know too much about these chrysler motors. Who has been working on these trying to get a few more ponys. I would of loved to get a 351, But i could not pass up the deal i got on my new ride!!!

Thinking about getting some head work done, Mabey new springs, a fresh mill and a Valve job. I was looking for some after market heads. How Ever the market on them seem kinda small. Also looking a Cam. It allready has a edelbrock carb. just seeing who has tried what with these 318s
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 11:31pm
What type of boat Eric??? If I recall correctly, Marshall's Mustang is one of the fastest, if not the fastest amongst the members here, and it is powered by a Mopar. Stay tuned, I'm sure Marshall and ReidP have some insight. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 1:02am
its a 71 Martinique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 2:22am
Beautifull boat eric. almost baught one identical. The best thing you can do is trash the stock 318 heads they have really small ports. Best head for you would be any 360 head (prefferbly a J casting) or a 340(X casting) The best head for you would be a late 80's early 90's 360 swirl port head. These are the big mopar stock casting heads that make power. The worst part of swapping to a 360 head is the drop in compression from bigger combustion chamber. You could just get them milled to bump the compression and mill an intake manifold to match.

Is that a standard rotation? Im a mopar nut(in the car world). If you want to get really freaky build a 360 they are many to be had cheaply.

I have a mild 360 in my plymouth that makes about 400hp with a little cam, stock dual plane intake, stock smog 360 heads with a 3 angle valve job. Id love to build myself a mopar boat. I dont know which cam would be the best for your application but there is some good power to be had out of a mopar.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:11am
Eric, you and I need to talk, as I'm a big Mustang/Ford guy as well, but running a close second is Mopar. I outgrew bowties as a kid. As BKH noted, arguably the fastest current boat on this site is Marshall Morgan's 340 '70 light blue Mustang, which runs 56-57+ mph all day long. His old diary listing still shows the nice 273 Mopar it came with. His 340 has a vintage Edelbrock intake (do a search on the important marine mod'n aspects of this swap before installing), flat top KB pistons, an upgraded marine cam (getting harder and harder to find) which has the same lift specs as the orig hot 340 found in the auto appl'n, and a very warmed over set of iron 2.02/1.60 heads. Aftermarket heads are available from Edelbrock but those are pricey, so I'd recommend spending a few bucks on the ones you have with good results or find "X" or "J" Mopar cast irons castings. It may be best to rework your existing going with larger valves, as the 340-360 larger chamber X and J heads will lower your compression somewhat (unless you change pistons) offsetting flow gains. If you decide to do a total rebuild strongly consider getting a bare 340 block for $200-500 as you can use the rods and crank from your 318 as the stroke was/is the same. Don't look at the 360 as it's slightly different requiring a new $$oil pan, etc. The biggest downfall IMO are the old log exhausts, which sound as good or better than any engine out there, but can't possibly flow as good as a later model center-rise or more header-type exhaust. The later model Chrysler center rise pieces are out there and available. I think it's Brian, (someone correct me if I'm wrong since he doesn't come on the site much if any) that has the 71-72 SN with the 318 and Holley Pro-jection which has been at Green Lake the last 2 years and flys to tune of 52 mph. I rode in it, and it's strong. (I started and stopped 1/2 dozen times and over 2 hrs and a handful of beers on this post so please forgive mistakes)    

EDIT: I just realize Phats beat me to half the punch after I'd finished and I wasn't responding to any of his comments. He knows his Mopar sh%t.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:19am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I have a mild 360 in my plymouth that makes about 400hp with a little cam, stock dual plane intake, stock smog 360 heads with a 3 angle valve job. .

You are telling us you gained 100 HP w/mild cam and a 3 angle valve job,. If those numbers are correct Marshall should be pushing 500+ and top speed will be 70+ when he gets it propped.
Sounds like the #s are a little high there for so little work, JMHO....Boat dr
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:19am
The only parts of this thread I understand is: the 318 sounds good. Mine takes me fast enough to ski, and I love the sound while I'm being towed behind it.

Someday I'll find a downhill lake and see if I can go faster.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:32am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

I have a mild 360 in my plymouth that makes about 400hp with a little cam, stock dual plane intake, stock smog 360 heads with a 3 angle valve job. .

You are telling us you gained 100 HP w/mild cam and a 3 angle valve job,. If those numbers are correct Marshall should be pushing 500+ and top speed will be 70+ when he gets it propped.

Billy, yes those numbers are correct and Marshall will be running 70 as soon as I can get Eric Johnson to cast us a 12x25 prop. Now get a cup of joe go to bed.

And Chuck, what are doing up this late, as we know you have to get up early on Sunday mornings? But I'll be there too, but it might just be the 11:00.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 10:29am
Im a chevy guy to the end, but you cant beat the sound of a mopar
"the things you own will start to own you"
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Someday I'll find a downhill lake and see if I can go faster.

Chuck

Chuck You should go to a river . Going down stream you could probably pick up 7 mph GPS.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 1:06pm
Niagra river is about12 mph, when you see spray though you start to get worried
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 1:08pm
I think Boat doc, MM and Reid are not telling us the whole story, i figured it out
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 1:27pm
Forgive me for not being a huge Mopar man, But what model cars would i find the x/j/swirl port heads on. Seeing how im a ford guy, I know that cobra mustangs 93-95 came with GT40 heads and 5.0L exploders came with the GT40P head. not to mention you can round up used trickflow heads for well under 1000 bucks.

Like i said im still learning about these mopar motors.

What keywords should i use to find the marnie mods for a intake?

I was reading that all off the mopar heads lack in the exhaust port, and headers makes a huge diffrence, i know thats not a huge option, unless i spen big bucks. I guessing you should favor the Exhaust duration in cam specs...

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Sounds like the #s are a little high there for so little work, JMHO....Boat dr

Like is said im new to the whole boat world, But i know timing must be a factor hear. In my race car we are cranking out about 34 Degree's of timing where i know boats must be way lower, like 5-10 or something.

If i ran like 5 in my car motor i would barely get out of its own way.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:38pm
whered you get the 5-10 info from, we are running timing similar to cars, its just not vacuum advanced.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:52pm
i just hear some some buddys, running lower timing numbers, I guess the factory settings....

Mostly I/O Small Chevy Motors

Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 3:53pm
Any one run a Elecric Water pump?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 4:27pm
Eric H ,Why?????????
Some of us sill run a raw water only set up , but the timing chain cover may not be available for a MOPAR.
This cover allows you to remove the circ pump and replaces it with fitting to allow water circulation to the engine just using the RWater pump only..........Boat dr
It saves some weight and cleans up the front of the motors.....
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Eric H Eric H wrote:

Any one run a Elecric Water pump?

You are not going to see any gains in HP with running a electric pump. In fact the opposite! You would need to keep charging the battery while running the pump. The generation of electric power isn't 100% efficient and why alternators heat up. It's lost energy being converted to heat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 8:29pm
plus if it shorts you probably wont catch the overheat until it is overheated
Eric H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 9:26pm
Just curious on the Water pump deal, I know thats What we run on the track and street ford motors. I just know the 2nd water pump(forgive me for not knowing the proper name) Takes a good bit of force to turn.

CSR among others make a small block water pump

On a dyno we have seen as much as 15 RWHP with the electric units
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 9:31pm

Forgive me for not being a huge Mopar man, But what model cars would i find the x/j/swirl port heads on.
Like i said im still learning about these mopar motors.

What keywords should i use to find the marnie mods for a intake?

I was reading that all off the mopar heads lack in the exhaust port, and headers makes a huge diffrence, i know thats not a huge option, unless i spen big bucks. I guessing you should favor the Exhaust duration in cam specs...

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

Eric H, If you search ebay or wherever else just search Mopar X or J heads. X heads were only available on 340 engines '68 to about 71-73 or so and J's were available on many other car models on the 340 and 360 engines for a number of years later as Phats can verify. But make sure as we mentioned that some serious consideration is taken in respect to the head chamber size as your existing head chambers are considerably smaller and you don't want your compression ratio to drop any lower than it already is. That's the only reason I suggested possibly having port and polish work done to you existing heads along with larger valves. The issue with the intake is that it must be taped for the water fitting coming from the front cover and blocked off near that same point so that water doesn't pass across the front of the intake and routes as intended. If you pull your existing intake or that hose in question, you'll see what we're talking about.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 9:44pm
Reid, i think a little oil runs in your veins
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 10:09pm

Just curious on the Water pump deal, I know thats What we run on the track and street ford motors. I just know the 2nd water pump(forgive me for not knowing the proper name) Takes a good bit of force to turn.

CSR among others make a small block water pump

On a dyno we have seen as much as 15 RWHP with the electric units

Eric, Fill me in. I can see the gain at the track were you don't run a alternator to keep the battery charged but you mentioned street fords too. What is the gain there?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 10:14pm
Yes boat doc. It has never been dynoed but considering the weight of the car and the 1/4 et and mph it should be making 385 to 400 at the crank. I didnt mention it has some headman 1 5/8 headers and 9.8 to 1 ish compression. 360's run like raped apes with minimal speed mods. The car weighs around 3900 lbs with me in it and runs 13.19 at 104mph on 235 drag radials 2600 stall with a stock transmision 3.91 sure grip rear end. Best 60 foot is 1.88 and does that all day long on pump gas at 32degrees full advance. I think theres some more power in the timing becasue most small blocks like 36 degrees for most power but I didnt have time to bump it up anymore.

Like the other guys said the 340 swap would be much easier than the 360 because a 360 is externally balanced which is stupid because it needs a balanced flywheel or converter so I just had mine balanced internally with heavy mettel in the crank and now I can do whatever I want on the outside of it. Dont use the 318 rods or crank. The earlier 340 cranks were forged and 340s had much stronger rods.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 10:38pm
Oh yea obviously I have a non stock carb on it haha. Its a speed demon 625 mechanical secondary. Id reccomend a demon to anyone it bolted on and ran perfectly with excellent mixture. They make marine demons now.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 10:41pm
Still have a serios doubt that you are making that kinda HP with that motor.
Just for giggles if your numbers are accurate, the mods to my stroker should net me at least 400+. And it just aint gonna happen in the real world.
If you can acheive one HP per cube you gotta lot of money invested.It is not gonna happen with a set of headers and a mild cam on a smog motor w/ higher than normal comp.
There is a lot more to the equation , but then if your spinning that MOPAR 7500 it may be making those #'s.
Several mods to mine and I HONESTLY think she is in the 330 range and that may be a little HIGH..........Again JMHO...Boat dr
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 10:51pm
Anyways all hands with the car point to numbers around that area. Look up mopar builds that have been dynoed on the internet. The inspiraion for my motor was an artical I read in mopar muscle when I was about 14 years old. It was a smog head 360 that made right at 400 hp. The only difference in that motor was the cam. Im not one to make stuff up I just let the car talk for me haha. Mopars are freaks thats why I like them;) haha. Id guess your motor would make alot more power too if it were pushing exhaust through hedders with no water in the exhaust also. thats a consideration.

When I pull it to paint the car later on ill dyno it and let you know or ill chassis dyno it and see what it makes at the wheels.

Maybe it doesnt make the power and im just an amazing driver haha.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 11:10pm
Do a search on the HI-Teks, they are true headers, and the water don't dump till after the collectors.My numbers are still low compared to yours.....

1964 American Skier, click on this under my name and you will see pics of my motor and the SS HI=TEKS.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 11:11pm
yeaa i saw the hi teks i didnt know much about em.   Check this artical this is bassically my motor to a t only with a little better head and less cubes.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/dyno_testing.html

Maybe you need a mopar doc j.k I wish my ford looked like yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic