NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Used Muffler

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Used Muffler
    Posted: February-25-2008 at 12:38am
lose the mufflers, i removed mine 20 years ago and replaced them with aluminum stacks that you would see on a semi, big block sounds mean!!!
Mark 84bare12"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 10:43pm
James, I'll try to get a pic up for comparison.
Thanks!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 12:37pm
Ok Greg, I'm going for the compromise - Punch the loose one out and do the same to the other side for balance. There should be several baffles inside so you will end up with sort of 2/3rd's muffling!! The mufflers were always on the fragile side so another layer of glass and epoxy around the outside wouldn't hurt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 12:32pm
BuffaloBFN,
I might have one. What does yours look like? I have the originals off of my '78 Martinique. One of them lost its baffles and I couldn't find a single original replacement, so I ordered a new pair from SECC. The new replacements are not exactly like the originals, but they seemed to sound and perform about the same. The originals are light blue. I can't remember the diameter, I'll have to get them out from under the house.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 12:20pm
Mercury makes a beautiful set of baffles that mount right on the transom, they are about the size of a coffee can cut in half with stainless tips that go out the back, they are for 3" hose. they quiet the boat just enough and keeps the rumble. I installed them many times on the nusance boats because of the complaining neihbors.
"the things you own will start to own you"
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 11:47am
Buf

Mine are in the floor. I probably won't take them out, but wouldn't mind if they were gone. Mine, just like all the othere 454's, sounds great, even with the mufflers.
You said "one" of your baffles was loose? If you knock one out, wouldn't you have to knock out both for balance? Just a thought.
I agree with the thought that without mufflers, it still won't be as loud as the Baja's.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 11:27am
Good idea. Mufflers with no baffles. Years ago I remember my older brother's friends buying glass packs and pouring kero in them and burning the baffles out before installing them on their cars. It improved the sound.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 11:17am
I've barely started on the stringers, so I have some time. If I can't round 1 up, mabe I should knock the other baffle out? There's not much to it. It would effectively be a straight pipe with a 3' expansion chamber. You're the engineer though...whatcha think?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 10:46am
Greg, Cut the one with the loose baffle open and repair/resin it back together. 10 db is about what I'm finding for the sound reduction but that's todays mufflers and not the old ones. It is not going to sound like the Baja.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Hot rods are hot rods and need to be loud but pulling the kids around the lake for 8 hours without mufflers is too much. I've got mufflers on mine for that exact reason otherwise they'de be gone.

Those same kids will need to be able to hear their college professors some day too!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 9:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, You never answered or I missed the answer. Are you thinking about the Green Lake reunion at all?

We very much want to make the trip, but we also have a busy spring coming up. If our wedding doesn't completely break the bank, we'll be there!
1988 BFN-sold

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 9:52am
Hot rods are hot rods and need to be loud but pulling the kids around the lake for 8 hours without mufflers is too much. I've got mufflers on mine for that exact reason otherwise they'de be gone.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Pete, do you need to stop the boat? We don't!!!
               The Boat Nurse

Priceless!

How many of you are running a bfn without mufflers? Tull, are yours in the floor or not?
I live on a peninsula that has about 50 houses on it...at least half retired; and I have a neighbor with a straight pipe baja that shakes the windows(literally). I'm in much better standing with my neighbors than he is...and would like to keep it that way! I've also seen barney hassle him several times while we ride on by.

Bottom line, I've gotten many compliments on the sound of my boat, and people scrunch up their faces when the baja fires up.

Peace, Love, and Smiles!   
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 2:38am
I agree! If she doesn't LOVE the boat she will NEVER make it with guys like you and MINE! Personally, I Love that old boat rumble and all.
She doesn't need mufflers and Billy doesn't need a raincoat.
Pete, do you need to stop the boat? We don't!!!
               The Boat Nurse

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 1:29am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Maybe a guy who wants to take her girl for a midnight ride? I'm sure you can get the Boat Nurse to explain it to you?!!?

If the girl doesn't love the subtle rumbling of that engine while on that slow cruise, time to trade her in.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

See what Tim B says. He's got the loudest inboard I ever heard.

Thanks Bruce, Ill take that as a compliment.

Ive got no opinion here, as some people like their boats quieter than others. I just happen to like mine loud!

Greg, what's been posted above is correct- its not overly loud inside the boat. No problems communicating at idle. When you get the chance to hear the boat from the end of a rope or on shore, thats when you find out how loud it is.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:39pm
See what Tim B says. He's got the loudest inboard I ever heard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:36pm
Greg, You never answered or I missed the answer. Are you thinking about the Green Lake reunion at all?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:35pm
They had to come up with the "duck" name because the people in the Atlanta area couldn't pronounce "duct".

Greg, You don't need to run hose all the way. I think the fiberglass exhaust pipe is cheaper. Plus, the fiberglass would be sort of half way original. I think you can forget about copper these days!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

As long as you're not riding in the back seat, there's barely a noticable difference.

I often have kids around and need to be able to communicate...but thanks for the straight answer Bruce!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:22pm

duct (duck)

Now I've heard it all! You're gonna korrect me on that and give me a ration about mufflers in the same breath?!? LOL

There is a brand name of the wonder tape by that exact spelling, but I know it's cold up there......
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:17pm
As long as you're not riding in the back seat, there's barely a noticable difference.

On those mid night rides you'll be idling anyway so it won't matter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:13pm
I remember in the 70's when the boats were starting to be equipped with the fiberglass 1st generation. You can tell a difference but not that much.

A "closet duct (duck) tape junkie" Wow, now that is a real low blow!! You do have me pegged. I do not have any duck tape. I did need some this last summer when a tree branch poked a small hole in the vinyl of my "instant garage". I had to borrow some from my son!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:04pm

Pete, where are you when I need you? LOL

Greg, I'm going with the rest of the guys on this one! You don't need them. I've been around too many classics. It'll sound great. The fiberglass things were mufflers. Keeping it original - No one will ever know what was supposed to be under that floor. That of coarse is the exception of several hundred people who read this thread!!

Next time you say 'keep it original' to a newbie, I'm gonna tell him you are a closet duck tape junkie!

So, if I cave on this and spend another couple hundred on 10' sections......just how much louder will it be?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 8:03pm

Maybe a guy who wants to take her girl for a midnight ride? I'm sure you can get the Boat Nurse to explain it to you?!!?

Never bothered me when I had the 70 Barracuda with the Holman Moody! With the exception of a straight pipe rear engine, there is nothing that sounds like the H/M's. You need to stop the boat anyway if you have any "plans" on that midnight ride.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Greg,

The pipes in your floor are your mufflers. I just want you to hear me fire mine up at Gainesville Marina!

You might try emailing nautiquefanatic. He has some of everything over at his place.

Greg, if you're that close I've waved to you before. I'd like to hear it, but I think I'll stick to my guns. I'll give the fanatic a day or 2 to respond...I kinda thought he'd be first instead of all of this grief?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Geno, got to agree,,,,,,,,,,
Who needs a stinking muffler ????????
The only thing worse would be TWO......

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:55pm

Greg, I'm going with the rest of the guys on this one! You don't need them. I've been around too many classics. It'll sound great. The fiberglass things were mufflers. Keeping it original - No one will ever know what was supposed to be under that floor. That of coarse is the exception of several hundred people who read this thread!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 4:00pm
Greg,

The pipes in your floor are your mufflers. I just want you to hear me fire mine up at Gainesville Marina!

You might try emailing nautiquefanatic. He has some of everything over at his place.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 3:38pm
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic