Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Props...what to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Oh and hire that out as it doesn't sound like your on top of your a game when it comes to tuning motors.

I appreciate your invitation but will respectfully decline you offer.

I came here to learn more about the boats I love and left other boards to get away from the personal attacks, name calling, and arguing.

Matt
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 1:21pm
jbear: You have mail!

Matt
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 1:28pm
Matt;

I came here to learn more about the boats I love and left other boards to get away from this type of thing.

This is not a slam on you nor your expertise, it is Chris and his way of inviting you to the site.
You will gain knowledge about these boats along with the differences between a "tractor" and "race car" engine.
Two entirely distinct concepts,dont wear your feeling on your sleeve and be prepared to learn.Or you will leave with out sharing with us what you have learned....
Lots of HOT MOTORS have been tried but few come up the BAR, glad your here to share................Boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Oh and hire that out as it doesn't sound like your on top of your a game when it comes to tuning motors.

I appreciate your invitation but will respectfully decline you offer.

I came here to learn more about the boats I love and left other boards to get away from the personal attacks, name calling, and arguing.

Matt

that wasn't a personal attack it was an observation based on what you have posted. You've spent a few bucks on the motor added a couple items most wouldn't have, scimped on some others and have very poor performance out of the packaged you have but together.

So one of two thinks are wrong, you have assembled the wrong pieces to work together or you have not tuned the pieces you have properly.

5k and you are getting just over 40mph somethings wrong. I didn't have high compression, big valve heads, ported intake/heads/exhaust (I've got a set)
, Didn't have a spark box (over kill), but did have a good ignition system and induction system that where tuned properly and ran 52 mph either with a Michigan Wheel or Acme prop used the Acme because I didn't want to turn 6K. So with your set-up something is way off and usually it's the guy turning the wrenches. No biggy to me you'll waste some more money and still be in the same boat scratching your head wondering why, nothing personal at all just a very well educated observation on my part.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 2:40pm
79, lets give him the benefit of the doubt here- he doesnt seem like he is overly familiar with Correct Crafts. A simple prop change may get him running just fine- and thats why he's asking the question. If a new prop doesnt result in an increase of 8+ mph, then we can start picking apart the tuning job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 3:11pm
Tim the prop isn't really going to make that big of a change to start with so it's the preverbial dog chasing the tail trick ignoring the obvious problem.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 3:16pm

Tim the prop isn't really going to make that big of a change to start with so it's the preverbial dog chasing the tail trick ignoring the obvious problem.

You might be right- lets wait and see. Ive heard of junk props doing weirder things.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 3:34pm

I was thinking my engine should be good for 5500 and was disappointed it only went 5000. But I know of a couple "issues" that I need to fix. I do know the prop is a problem though as 38-40 mph at 5000 is just wrong!

I do have a vibration between about 24 and 28 or so mph and suspect my prop might be bent slightly causing the vibration at these speeds and also causing cavitation (slip) at higher engine speeds.

I need to install another distributor or convert mine to magnetic or laser pick up. I'm currently using points to trigger the MSD. This could be limiting my RPM. Also I have a 750 carb to try. I've never tried running on 93 octane and adjusting the timing either. I've only run 87 to this point.

I'm assuming some of you are running the OJ 23102???

Matt

so let's regroup a little. Issue's that we know of that needs to be fixed long before you change props.

1. Align prop shaft to transmission/motor

2. Set dwell

3. Adjust timing.

4. Adjust carb rejet as needed.

5. Add otane boost or use 93/94 octane gas.

So until you fix the know problems, changing props will do nothing other than ware you out chasing your tail.

IGNORING THE OBVIOUS WILL NEVER FIX OR SOLVE ANY PROBLEM.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 5:57pm
1. Done. Can't fit .001 between the flanges.
2. Dwell does not matter with this set-up. The points are used as a trigger for the MSD (amplifier)...only. They only use about .1 volt in this configuration to trigger the MSD box. They simply act in a similar way to a magnetic or laser trigger. The coil does not charge through the points like a regular points set up. .1 volt vs 10-14 volts depending on wether or not a ballast resistor is used. As long as there is some contact the condition of the points is irrelevant.
3. Timing is set at 30 deg total (full advance). Experience with similar engines tells me it will like somewhere between 30-36 degrees.
4. Carb is spot on.
5. Will try 93 octane soon.

Magnetic or laser pick-up is better to trigger the MSD at higher rpm as points can still "bounce."

Here's why I think the prop is the problem:
30 mph at ~3,000 RPM
38 mph at ~5,000 RPM with noticable "slip"
Throttle response is very crisp.
Run 20 mph and nail it, boat nearly jumps out of the water. RPM's jump immmediately, boat plays catch up. Slip?
I can't hold the rope trying to get up skiing. My wife has to feather the throttle. I pulled a muscle in my arm trying. The torque is incredible.
There is a vibration between about 24-28 mph.
Plugs look great on mixture and heat range.
No miss, no ticking, no knocking, no smoke, no hesitation, clean plugs, heat range good, no plug fouling. Trans seems to work great at low rpm and fluid is spotless.

Don't worry, I'm not going to chase props. I would just like to try a known, good prop, and go from there. Looks like John (jbear) is going to help with the prop. Thanks!

I've focused my efforts on the race cars and spent little time tuning on the boat. Up to this point it was good enough for cruising and skiing on the weekends. Now that I've moved to the lake, I'd like to fix it up a little.

Thanks for your advice, it is well appreciated. We'll get this one figured out.

Matt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 6:02pm
And base timing is what? don't agree that it doesn't make a difference on the points because it does, spark box or not the points have no effect of Voltage output or input.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 6:54pm

There is a vibration between about 24-28 mph.

That's where your problem is...I think...or at least some of it. Your power delivery should be smoooth!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 12:01am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

That's where your problem is...I think...or at least some of it. Your power delivery should be smoooth!

The vibration is coming from somewhere! A bent shaft can cause vibration. Could a bent shaft cause cavitation?

Matt

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 12:46am
I have vibration at mid range also ('89 2001 with 1.23). Upon inspection last Fall, I saw that the shaft is not centered in the front end of the strut - about .015 inch off center by eyeball. The shaft also isn't centered in the 'log'. I am going to put in a new strut bushing & get everything lined up to the best of my ability. I hope I don't have to reset the strut alignment but will if that is what it takes.

BktRacer, let me know what you find out!

Chris

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 10:30am
both of you two need to read the post about how to align the prop shaft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 10:57am
79 - Thanks, have done so & am looking forward to using the feeler gage. However, the strut bushing has the rubber crushed on one side & a gap to the shaft on the other. Doesn't seem right so I am going to replace that 1st & make sure everything is on center.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 12:01pm
Duh if the bushing is wore out then yes it needs replaced first, but I wouldn't try removing the strut to do it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

However, the strut bushing has the rubber crushed on one side & a gap to the shaft on the other.

Sounds like it may be bent a little...the shaft could be as well. I've read here somewhere that 'if you hit anything, something is bent'.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 8:23pm
Buffalo - I can't see any damage but it is off center so far that I suspect something to be wrong. I saw someone else was going to use a laser pointer to check strut alignment against centerline of the hull - I'm going to try that.

Bktracer - sorry if I hijacked your thread - I just thought you may want to check your strut bearing - but got caught up in my own sad story!

chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 8:45pm

Buffalo - I can't see any damage but it is off center so far that I suspect something to be wrong.
Take a look at your engine mounts, they may be oviously skewed to one side. And I've had a prop with a bent blade that was only visable on the workbench and a strut that was about the same. I also wear glasses, so you may not want to listen to me at all?!!? LOL Seriously though, you may not have hit anything but someone else may have. When the prop and shaft assembly hit something...even lightly, part of the force is to the side.
1988 BFN-sold

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 12:56am
John aka jbear...I tried to email you through the site but didn't get a reply...maybe it didn't go through. Please email me at brktracer@hotmail.com.

SNobsessed...no problem. I'll keep updates coming.

Matt
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 1:40am
Matt;

You've got mail.

john

PS; its on the way.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:25am
I did some inspecting today and noticed that one blade on my Federal 13X14 is bent substantially enough that is visible. A good prop should be here soon and results will be posted as soon as they are available.

Thanks for all the help,

Matt

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 2:42am
Matt, I know our boats are not the same but I had similar results. With an old 12x13 Michigan,3000 rpm would give me 32.5, 4000 was 40 and 4800 43.1
I then tried my old 12x 13 Federal , 3000 30.8, 4000 38.1 and 5000 was 41.8, I always thought something wasn't right,but there was no one to ask who knew what they were talking about until I found Keith's site and met these guy's who had actual experence with these boats. I then got a 12x14 Federal from a member here and what a difference. 3000 was 34.4, 4000 was 42.3 and 4200 was 45 but the biggest and best change was that the bow rode higher at speed. All props were tried on the same day and checked with gps.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 10:33pm
Hey Gary: O.T. today? (saturday-9th) Or did you clean up on them 10 hour days?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 11:11pm
No John went to the Chicago auto show.But I did say yes for Sunday and now I see the high for tommorow is 2.Dooh!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 11:15pm
Wow...that means double stamps all week!!

2 for tomorrow means lots of heater time staying warm.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 1:38am
Hey TRBenj - I saw your advice on Acme 470 vs 1442 over on the 2001.com site. I forgot my password for that site so I am carrying it over here.

I'm going to buy one of these this spring.

I'm rock stock this year & going to stay that way until next year - the planned truck purchase will cash me out & so the GT40 heads will have to wait.

So my question is: Will the 1442 be OK with 240 HP? We wakeboard & wakesurf, my son just bought 2 fat sacks. Not so interested in top end, just want good midrange performance. Will a 1442 be any worse than the Federal 14x16 I now have?

Thanks for your advice

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 10:58am

So my question is: Will the 1442 be OK with 240 HP? We wakeboard & wakesurf, my son just bought 2 fat sacks. Not so interested in top end, just want good midrange performance. Will a 1442 be any worse than the Federal 14x16 I now have?

The 1442 will run circles around that old Federal! The only reason I recommend the 470 for a bone stock 240hp engine is because it will turn a few more RPM's, which helps performance. If you have an inkling that you'll be adding hp someday, go with the 1442. It will hands down outperform the old Federal in every single way, and you wont outgrow it when you add the GT40 heads.

*Disclaimer: This post is a little off topic from this thread, as these 2 props in question pertain only to boats with the 1.23 transmission.*
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 8:14pm
Thanks a bunch! 1442 it is.

It's great to get a recommendation form someone you trust & not just a salesperson.

The Federal is the original equipment - has a few nicks & I thought it would be a waste of money to have it rebuilt.

I can't wait for my shakedown cruise in April!

Chris

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 8:30pm

Thanks a bunch! 1442 it is.

It's great to get a recommendation form someone you trust & not just a salesperson.

The Federal is the original equipment - has a few nicks & I thought it would be a waste of money to have it rebuilt.

I can't wait for my shakedown cruise in April!

Chris

Dont mention it. If you have the opportunity, try both props back to back. That'll give you a lot of appreciation for how sweet these new Acmes run. Night and day difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic