NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drilling hole for bilge pump outlet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drilling hole for bilge pump outlet
    Posted: January-11-2008 at 3:38pm
I am planning on installing a bilge pump in my Mustang. The fitting for the outlet for a 3/4" hose requires about a 1" hole to be drilled in the hull. That is a big scary hole to me. I'm thinking I want to put it on the rear starboard side. Has anyone installed one of these? What kind of drill did you use? How do you do it without the gel coat cracking on splintering?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 3:57pm
Bruce, Get a hole saw and mandrel. Run it backwards to get through the gel coat a little. It will cut a nice clean hole for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:00pm
Dont worry Bruce, it could be worse! A regular drill bit will work. Its not a bad idea to tape over the area youre drilling and to run the drill backwards to avoid chipping the gel. Chamfer the edge with sandpaper once youve got the hole in.

Id almost be more inclined to put the outlet up front, as the curve of the hull might make it less noticeable. The back isnt a bad option either.

May I suggest a SS thru-hull fitting if you arent already planning to use one?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:03pm
Bruce don't drill yet,I'll get you a picture of mine which was factory installed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:20pm
Tim that Tique looks pretty good, what was the reason you weren't keeping that one again?

I am pretty sure my bilge pump is in the factory location as well if Gary can't come up with a picture of his I will uncover mine and get one for you this weekend.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Tim that Tique looks pretty good, what was the reason you weren't keeping that one again?

Joe, that Tique is a keeper- but it belongs to Pete. Mine isnt quite picture-worthy yet
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:36pm
Gary/Joe, a pic of the original location would be great. I thought they were in the rear by the gas tank, otherwise I would put it in the front like Tim's Tique as it is easier to access and closer to the pump.

Tim, you had guts and great focus to cut that 2nd exhaust hole. If I ever convert the Mustang to a V8, I'll hire you to drill mine.

Sounds like taping it and using a hole saw is the way to go. I'll be making phone calls when I actually start doing this stuff come May, although if this damn warm weather keeps up, it will be a lot sooner than that.

I was browsing around at West Marine this morning and was surprised to find out how much stuff they have in stock and that it appeared of decent quality.

The SS fitting is nice for a newer boat, but my goal with this one is to keep it as original as possible. Seeing that it's got a Ford Falcon straight 6, originality is the best thing it's got going.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Joe, that Tique is a keeper- but it belongs to Pete. Mine isnt quite picture-worthy yet

I was going to say, you've really been moving along on that one.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 4:45pm
West marine isn't a bad place to have around town (invaluable to those of us who also sail)and some things are even reasonably priced but compare online if you have the time some things are 3-4 times the price you can find online.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 5:00pm
Bruce here you go,one of outlet placement and one of hard to see pump location (replacement pump)The '63 American Skier I had,used a front outlet,but the pump was mounted up front as well.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:57pm
Bruce, Just forward of the engine is usually the low spot in the bilge when the boat is sitting and the reason the bilge drain is in that area. I fell that would be the best location. Are you planning for the worst? After you are done with working on the boat, I'm confident that you won't have any leaks!

Tim, Yes that is a great looking Tique and you have made great progress on it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, Yes that is a great looking Tique

Yeah, she's ok.
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 8:33pm
Bruce,

I'm @ work and I'm sorry to say I don't have a picture of the back of the Skylark handy.

If it helps to know, the outlet for the bilge pump on the Skylark is on the stern - port side.

If memory serves, the vent for the gas tank is on the starboard side of the stern.

Good luck!
Kyle

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 12:25am
Bruce- drills and boats just don't go well together, do they? I had a hard enough time drilling holes to mount my bim top last summer.
I've never drilled a hole that size in a boat, but would be inclined to use a corded drill with a hole saw. Definitely would not recommend a paddle bit and those 1" contractor bits will cut a hole in your wallet.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 12:44pm
Gary, that's where I thought they went. That pic will be a great help, thanks.

Pete, There's a lower spot in the bilge between the front seats. You can't see this area on mine without removing the floor. I'm thinking I'm going to put it there, but I will have to make that section of floor removable. I want a bilge pump so I can moor the boat.

Kyle, funny how they put it on the port side like the steering wheel.

I hate the thought of drilling holes. I thought of ordering a Bimini with my Sportster, but couldn't stand the thought of someone drlling holes in the deck, so I decided to put the money towards sun tan lotion instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic