Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to remove oldd bottom paint?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to remove oldd bottom paint?
    Posted: December-10-2007 at 3:59pm
I've been trying to sand it off and not having much luck. Any suggestions?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 4:07pm
they do make a stripper specifically designed to remove bottem paint, but sanding is probably your best option. i will use the stripper then sand.. most of the time though i reapply bottem paint over the removed paint
"the things you own will start to own you"
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 4:13pm
Thanks Eris. Do you have to wash the stripper off with water? I would have a hard time getting water the the shop.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 4:18pm
Geno, Have you tried a methylene cloride based stripper such as Zip strip? It should go after the bottom paint. It can then be solvent wiped.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Geno, Have you tried a methylene cloride based stripper such as Zip strip? It should go after the bottom paint. It can then be solvent wiped.

No - but I will soon. Thanks. Solvent wiped? Please explain.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 4:36pm
Put the stripper on and then cover it with saran wrap or tin foil, it wont dry that way. Wait a day and then scrape it all off.

Tim

ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 4:49pm
Hi Geno,

I had the same issue to deal with my 92. I started by using a marine remover. I think it was Aqua Strip... It worked ok to get the first layer or so. It doesn't seem to penetrate the anti fouling too well but it got some of it. I essentially ended up (carefully)using a DA w/400 and some yoga moves to sand it off. I DID end up toasting a bearing in the DA. I don't think that they like being turned upside down for long periods. The condensation doesn't seem to exhaust.

Steve.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 5:39pm
Geno, I've found that trying to cover the stripper is more trouble than it's worth especially up side down. A good (and expensive) stripper has parafin wax in it that floats to the surface slowing the evaporation of the solvent. Don't over brush because this just disturbs the wax layer. Lay it on thick and work in small sections until you get a idea on how fast it works. You do not want it to dry and yet you want it on for enough time for it to work. A gal. will be $35 to $40 but the more expensive is worth it.

A solvent wipe can be with zylene or toluene. Both have good solvency and aren't that fast of evaporators. A hardware store will have both. The final wipe, I would use acetone. Change rags frequently so you get the wax off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 5:55pm
Thanks Pete - that's the info I was looking for. I just read the faqs over at zip strip and learned a lot too.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 11:11am
I see after reading and searching a lot that bottom paint is the hardest stuff to get rid of.

It seems a lot of the old timers swear by easy off oven cleaner and claim it won't soften gel coat like mec based strippers.

I would try this but they all wash it off with a pressure sprayer and I can't since my boat is chained to the ceiling in a shop with no water.

Would anyone think the oven cleaner thing could be done with a solvent wipe?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 11:34am
Geno, Oven cleaner is basicly caustic soda with some surfactants added so it "wets" out on the surface. Regretably it is water soluble.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 11:56am
Drop cloth, zip strip and solvents seem to be the only option here.

Boy, next weekend is going to suck so bad.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:04pm
Geno if you want to try the oven cleaner route just a get a bucket of hot water and a rage and just wipe it down, you don't have to spray it off, you don't use a hose to wash out your stoves oven do you? ok smart ass not everyone has a self cleaning oven.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:18pm
I may very well try that 79. My mom's old house is about 200 yards away and I can make the 10 year old carry water.

For the record I have never cleaned an oven in my life (I honestly have never seen an oven being cleaned either - you could have told me you had to hose it out and I wouldn't know any different lol). I thought I was going to have to clean one once when I was a bachelor but the girl I was dating did it when I was at work.

I may get a big sponge and 2 buckets. Rinse, wipe, squeeze into refuse bucket, change hot water frequently.
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 9:40pm
I'm with you on this one. Never cleaned an oven before. Cleaned the gutters last weekend though.
88 2001
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 2:36pm
I have a plan but it may not work so well in the upcoming cold. The high today is 76f and this weekend will be about 40f. Yuck. Will try to find the torpedo heater.

Going to try a small spot with oven cleaner this evening if at all possible. Spray on, wait until it seems to be working, scrape off with plastic scraper, rinse with hot water/vinegar solution, rinse with water solution. Anyone see any problems with this?

Hopefully can take some pics but I don't know with all the yucky chems about.

edit - yesterday I couldn't even spell senior member and today I are one
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 2:48pm
Geno, Sounds like a good plan but be carefull with the oven cleaner. You might end up using it on what it was intended for!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 6:11pm
Ovens are not supposed to be cleaned are they?
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 1:23am
Easy off oven cleaner removes toxic, hideous, omg bottom paint like you wouldn't believe. I have never seen anything work like this - I ground on this hull for 3.5 hours to clean out a 1.5x2.5 area. Today I cleaned half a hull in less than an hour.

The spot I ground out in 3.5 hours with 80 grit and a da

My test spot with easy off after 10 minutes

My test spot after 20 minutes (100% removal with a thick coat)

A very thin coat left on for thirty minutes

Clean black trailer with nifty dump truck tail lights that I had on hand

I will be using the oven cleaner method since it works so well but I will be hooking up our steam cleaner to blow off the mess. The new plan is we'll be squegying it out the shop as we go. Can you say toxic waste? lol
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 1:40am
Be careful, the oven cleaner will take the paint off your trailer, your tool box, your building, etc. Works great on gel coat though. So question - it looks like you've got really nice white gel coat under there. Looks like it could be color/wet sanded and brought back to a great original shine. Are you still planning to paint the boat??? BKH
Livin' the Dream

Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 2:40am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Be careful, the oven cleaner will take the paint off your trailer, your tool box, your building, etc. Works great on gel coat though. So question - it looks like you've got really nice white gel coat under there. Looks like it could be color/wet sanded and brought back to a great original shine. Are you still planning to paint the boat??? BKH

Will be moving the work truck and trailer WAAAYY out on the yard.

Actually the original gel is a hideous olive green. She's been painted white at some point in her 38 year life. The oven cleaner is not eating through the white paint which is thrilling me because I can sand down to it without any damage now with just 220.

She started life as an olive green spoiler. I love that but hate the color. She's going back a lovely Yucatan Yellow or a pale blue. Both original colors for that year but not her original color.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic