NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

scratches from trailor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scratches from trailor
    Posted: November-05-2007 at 4:23pm
As I was cleaning/waxing for winter layup (1997 Ski Nautique - DHM trailor), I noticed scratches in the hull running about a foot and a half in front of my bunks. Clearly this has happened from loading my boat on the trailor. Do I need to put the trailor in deeper? I usually put the trailor in until the fenders are just under water. The final foot or so of the bunks is all that's exposed. Also, I noticed a small chip (fingernail size) in the hull in the same location as the scratches on one side. Would I have had to hit something or could the friction/pressure from loading have done this? It seems like the two things must be related. Is the gelcoat that brittle? Thanks for your feedback. -Ryan
Ryan
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 4:27pm
Every boat you look at will have the rash from going on and off the bunks. Make sure you dunk the trailer in the water all of the way to wet the bunks. If you put the trailer in the water deeper you risk pulling the boat out with one side sitting on the fender which = even more damage in some cases.

Tim

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 4:57pm
I dunno Tim, I have a boat that primarily runs off the hoist so I only trailer a few times a year but somebody had it before me that trailered more regularily, its 24 years old with no scratches from the trailer to speak of. I wouldnt consider it normal and on a 97 I would be freaking out at a fingernail sized chip and looking for a cause.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 5:06pm
If you power load the boat onto the trailer, I do not know how you could avoid puting rash marks where the bunks contact the boat. My 88 has be hoist kept since new and it has rash marks from loading onto the trailer the few times a year that I trailer it. Other that bottom area where the bunks contact the boat gelcoat looks like new, even the bow as it has never been beached.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 5:35pm
Ryan, If the ramp you are at is steep then the boat may be hitting the front corners of the bunks. I'm not a believer in powering on a boat and I'm not the only one. Have you seen this tread?

trailer winch

The bow of the boat needs to be lifted with the aid of a winch but that is my opinion. A keel roller just forward of the bunks will help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ryan, If the ramp you are at is steep then the boat may be hitting the front corners of the bunks. I'm not a believer in powering on a boat and I'm not the only one. Have you seen this tread?

trailer winch

The bow of the boat needs to be lifted with the aid of a winch but that is my opinion. A keel roller just forward of the bunks will help.

Pete-

Go dunk your trailer in deep and then winch it tight while its floating.

Pull it out and tell me if the back of your boat is touching the bunks.

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

If you power load the boat onto the trailer, I do not know how you could avoid puting rash marks where the bunks contact the boat. My 88 has be hoist kept since new and it has rash marks from loading onto the trailer the few times a year that I trailer it. Other that bottom area where the bunks contact the boat gelcoat looks like new, even the bow as it has never been beached.

Even if you don't powerload it onto the trailer you are going to have some rubbing from going down the road. The hull on a ski boat is not rigid, it will flex with every bump.

If you have gouges, something else is wrong.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

trailer winch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 6:03pm
This is how I load my 88. It takes very little power to load on a ramp like is pictured.

A steep ramp will cause you lots more problems. I know eveyones situation is different so I think you have to adjust your loading style with the situataions that you encounter.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 10:06pm
My '89 has rash too. The carpet was worn through on the bunks. Too bad, only defect on boat.

I had to send the kids out for a long ride while I tacked on another layer of carpet for short term fix.

I think I'll replace the bunks carpet & all next year.

I agree with getting the carpet wet - anything to reduce friction is good.

Has anyone tried the HDPE plastic bunk covers?

Chris

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 11:43pm
I have fine scratches too. First time I noticed them was this year, but they probably have been there as long as I have owned the boat, and I am sure some were there when I bought it. The rest of the hull is in great shape, so it is clearly from the bunks. I can't see them from the drivers seat, or at 22' off, so I try not to let it bother me too much!

I thought I would replace the bunk carpet at the end of the year, figuring that it was a little worn and not helping the situation any. However, I screwed up and did not order enough bunk carpet to do the job. Fotunately I realized this before I tore off the old stuff! It will have to wait 'til spring now.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:22am
Who pulled the guys van out of the lake? I bet the water was half way up the rear tires.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:20am
Originally posted by 2_Nautiques 2_Nautiques wrote:

This is how I load my 88. It takes very little power to load on a ramp like is pictured.

A steep ramp will cause you lots more problems. I know eveyones situation is different so I think you have to adjust your loading style with the situataions that you encounter.

And that is the same guy you watch pulling out of the ramp with the boat sitting on the fender.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 9:12am
You have got to give it to the advertisers! It's like going to a restaurant and the food you get never looks like the picture in the menu! Yes they must have found a very level spot to put the trailer on to take that picture and needed to put it half way into the lake to find it! It doesn't even have a big giant sink hole in the lake bottom left from people power loading. I hate power loading!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 9:20am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Pete-
Go dunk your trailer in deep and then winch it tight while its floating.
Pull it out and tell me if the back of your boat is touching the bunks.
Tim

Tim, Maybe you didn't read the thread on trailer winch's thoroughly. I do not put my trailers in deep and with the aid of a keel roller and winch, the boat will almost match the angle of the trailer so when pulled it will be on the bunks. The boat will also sit tight against the bow stop when pulled out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 10:10am
Everyone has their own method but in those pics above the trailer is too deep although it does look like a shallow ramp. I leave atleast 2" of fender showing above the water line at most ramps and then only need to bump the throttle a touch to drive it on. I love power loading.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 12:40pm
Alan, The brochure picture was just an example, I agree with you as to having the fenders 2" above water levels seems just right for my 88.

Pete, like I said in my previous post, everyones situation is different. The main ramp that I use is on a backwater off of a river. It actually helps to power load to keep silt from building up at the end of the ramp. As you know the aft end of the boat will slide off deeper when backing off a trailer as opposed to when it is totally floating. The hole at the end of the ramp allows us to get the boat off of the trailer with out sticking it into the mud.

Tim, been loading a CC this way for 30 years and have not put one on the fender yet. Even thou the brochure shows the trailer a little too deep, just watch the bow stop and as long as you are lined up square the boat will be straight on the trailer.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:12pm
Pete-

I have a winch on my trailer, the factory option.

I put my trailer in so the fenders are 1-2" above the water. Pull the boat up so it is 1" from the bow stop. Once the boat is on the trailer level out of the water it gets winched tight.

It may be nice to have a bunch of rollers on the trailer but that is a custom built piece????

Another thing people need to watch out is pulling the boat tight against the stop, and then snugging it up. When the boat goes from level to level on the trailer it will pop the rub rail.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 4:09pm
Tim, The keel rollers I put on my trailers are built up from parts from a trailer supply like etrailer.com I've gotten the rollers, shafts and brackets from them and then it is bolted to a piece of 3" channel that is "U" bolted to the frame. Not much but it is like night and day with loading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 5:35pm
I put my 88' on the trailer with the fenders just under the surface and have never put it on the fender so it just goes to show.... "Too each is Own"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic