NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The courteous tuber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The courteous tuber?
    Posted: October-19-2007 at 8:37am
I thought I would start a new thread on the subject and get it out Brian's that was simply asking some boat and boat handling questions.

I really hate to stereotype anyone or anything but 9 out of 10 times here is the scenario. My lake house is on a 1000 acre lake on a chain of 20 in northern Wisconsin. It is on a quite bay with plenty of room for great skiing. The wind will be out of the south making the bay calm and being mid week there might be 6 boats on the lake (3 are fishing). I will want to take my wife or one of the kids out to ski (I haven't in quite a few years) and we have tubers in the bay chopping up the water!!! Here's the non courteous behavior. Why can't they go tube on the windy and rough end of the lake?? The rough water doesn't bother them but they always seem to migrate to the calm water. Then to make things worse, they and several friends will raft up their boats and day "camp" right in the path of a ski run we want to make. I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've heard it time and again from fellow skiers.

CQ emailed me and stated he was surprised that we didn't own a tube as part of our lake toys. To be completely honest, it has never crossed my mind to buy one. From the early days of tubing, I've always thought of it being a no brain and no talent activity. I feel there are plenty of skiers who feel this way. If I wanted to have my brains beat out, I would have become a professional boxer! Bantam weight of coarse!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 10:41am
I am sure those fishermen that we pass by think the same thing about us. It really doesn't matter if what you are doing is considered a sport or not. We should all just enjoy the time we have on the lake. Just comes down to everyone should be courteous of our fellow boaters and give each other some space to enjoy what we are doing.
Greg

86 BFN
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 11:39am
Also, in general, these individuals have no idea they are doing wrong. In my pre-inboard days we ruined plenty of good water for plenty of serious skiers in the old Sea Ray. We weren't tubing, but we were driving around the lake in circles, swinging the boat around with tons of throttle to pick up downed skiers, etc. We had no idea what we were doing.

I've had several "chats" with offending boaters & fishermen, just letting them know that we'd be skiing in this area or that, and that we should share the good water. I've never had one of these chats go sour- they always end up netting good water for both parties. One of our lakes has two general halves, so two boats could go completely nuts on each side and not affect each other. I'll typically say something like, "We're going to set up this course on this side, so we'll stay here and not bug you over there" or something to that degree.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 12:36pm
Pete, suprised yes but let us also remember the other word I used was Impressed!

Read Feelgoods signature sometime and you will have a pretty good idea about my take on tubing.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 12:38pm
Tubes are not attached to my boats under any circumstances. I'm on a huge lake and there's room for everyone. But, the one thing I hate about tubers though is the unpredictable way that they drive. They drive standing up, looking back at the tuber and going in all different directions. They seem oblivious to boaters around them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Pete, suprised yes but let us also remember the other word I used was Impressed!

Read Feelgoods signature sometime and you will have a pretty good idea about my take on tubing.

Here it is!!

"Tubing isn't even a sport, it just f**ks up the water for the rest of us" -Quinner to a tuber behind a fishing boat on his private lake.

I like it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 4:22pm
To all you haters...............

Makes you want to vomit for sure !!
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 5:31pm
Todd, The children are beautiful and they are certainly having a good time. I would vomit if anything ever happened to any one of them. We haven't even talked about the potential of injuries.

tubing injuries

We can't protect our children from all the dangers of life but to intentionally put them through a activity that may harm them is a different story!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 6:21pm
There were a couple of fun boys playing grab ass on jet skis in the bay on the lake last weekend where we planned on doing some footing. Johnny politely told them to "take their little game" to the other side of the lake and they actually did w/o any resistance.

Originally posted by wrote:

I only go 20 if there are 3 200 pounders on the tube. I have only been towing tubers for 32 years.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 6:41pm
This time of year always brings on a new challenge on our lake, the bird season is now open so we have to contend with a couple hunting blinds on the lake. A couple years ago Booby and I where out rippin it up right in front of the blind as that was the best water, the next day got a call from my buddy who is in the hunting group, appearantly there where a couple guy's in the blind ready to shoot us every time we made another pass, my response being we really didn't know they where even in there, which we didn't, his response being, now that's the point of the blind now isn't it!

The topper was when we finished up for the day we jammed all our empty beer cans on the bills of the decoy's, lucky thing they had already given up the hunt that day or Booby and I would still be pulling bird shot out of our backsides!
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 6:42pm
I have to laugh, I am on a 425 acre private lake. No public access at all! I can watch the the glassy lake for hours and there will not be a living soul on the water. But just let me grab a slalom and head for the dock. Before I can cross the back yard there will be six lake mosquitoes (wave runners) buzzin all over every square foot of MY LAKE chopping up all the water. Where are my RPG's?
hasbeenskier
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 8:33pm
Even my cat likes to tube! Boaty and Skipper were driving the boat while I filmed. Maybe this is actually a bad example of tubing, AND it wasn't me. Everyone have a fun and safe weekend, I'm out. Oh, and on a good note, we got rain today. Just the third time in three months.
my cat
ReidP
1973 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2007 at 8:55pm
Those damn dogs are trouble Reid. I hope you don't leave the keys in the boat when your not home.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 12:57am
I think the real problem is most people who pull tubes, especially in an inconsiderate manner, don't ski. They simply don't know the glory of good water. I'd wager that a polite conversation, if possible, would enlighten most.

The others, well, thats why potato guns were invented.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 2:52am
I think that RainDog sums it up for most of the fools out there. When I was a kid and didn't know how to ski, we'd beg my uncle to take us. Back then we just rented a place for a week a summer, and so we focused out skills (or apparently lack thereof) on what we could do. When I got older and learned to ski, and then later when my family got a place and a boat, it's a whole different story. It does seem that everytime I'm slipping into my binding, ten more four winns with ten person tubes doing figure-8s show up. I always get mad, but am somewhat placated by the fact that someone just like me was cursing me ten years ago just like I curse them. Not to justify it, just to say I understand. That being said, I think if more parents encouraged their kids to learn to ski, fewer would want to tube in the first place, and those that did would figure out when to let nice water be for others.
Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 6:27pm
I stand by quinner's statement in my signature. I do own a tube, its for girls and people that otherwise can't do anything on the water. I'd rather pull them on that then spend 2 hours turning around trying to get them up on skis. I usually leave it anchored out in the bay when I take it out with me and some clown in a fishing boat picked it up once (anchor and all) and started tubing. We started yellin and he stopped, I pulled up and asked him if he grabbed the anchor and he holds it up without the rope, as I go to ask about the rope I look closer at the back of the boat and he is using it to tube. He has a sinking anchor rope, *tied* to one cleat next to his outboard motor. I told him to drop it where he found it when he was done and figured the cost of an anchor rope is well worth watching him ruin his day. Unfortunately he didn't get it caught up nor did he even drop the tube in the bay. When we went to pick it up his moron friend throws us the anchor rope and asks for a pull on the tube behind my boat. We changed out the rope and Hollywood took him for a 40 mph tube ride where he tumbled off twice. As sauced as the guy was he was still feeling plenty of pain. My favorite part about tubers is when you raise your arms and give them a "what the hell is the matter with you" gesture they smile and wave. And fishermen that park in the ski pattern get the complimentary 40+mph barefoot fly by.
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

And fishermen that park in the ski pattern get the complimentary 40+mph barefoot fly by.

At what range?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 10:56pm
   It's not the tube that is the problem.Yeah,it's basically a no brainer,non sport activity for the kids,but they love it.You can get injured doing just about anything nowadays.I have two tubes and occassionally take the kids tubing.I do not let them go more than once a day,and I don't let them go more than once without skiing or wakeboarding in between,however ,I will never ASK them if they want to tube and will take them boarding or skiing as much as they want.
   Our lake is extremely busy on weekends and I share the same sentiment about the good water...unless it's 6 am,someone's always screwing it up.I have come to realize the water usually sucks from 9 am to 6pm Sat & Sun so I don't usually bother to try to ride anyway.
BTW,if I take my kids out to tube and we can't find a spot away from skiers/boarders so as not to ruin the water,we go back to the dock w/o tubing.
   On another note, I recently learned to wakesurf (which I highly recommend to those who haven't tried it)...It's a blast,but most likely will be banned soon due to the enormous roller that is generated .If you think tubers ruin the water,try skiing thru one of those wakes.
   These discourteous boaters aren't any safer on the streets.If you ride a motorcycle,you know exactly what I'm talking about.The world is full of em.
   Sorry for the long post.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 3:08am
Mike: Where have you been? Hope all has been good for you and that it is just that your biz has been so busy.

BTW: Ever see JEFF KOSTIS across the lake from you? He has been lost from here for awhile.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 12:54pm
Hello all - We are newbies & have been getting great info from your site since becoming a SN owner a month ago.

I would like to relate an incident from last summer - I was pulling my son on a local river (the mighty Shell Rock) which is pretty narrow.

This 20' I/O pulling a skier came up, almost dead on (literaly) about 50yds behind my son who was freaking out. They then proceeded to pass us within 15 yds. The 16 YO kid was driving so I chalked that one to to youthful indiscretion. Well an hour later a they did practically the same thing & this time it was the dad driving.

My point is that it's the people not the equipment that creates the situation.

BTW, we always slow down when we come up to someone getting lined up & idle past.
No one else around here does that, maybe that could be a new trend.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

This time of year always brings on a new challenge on our lake, the bird season is now open so we have to contend with a couple hunting blinds on the lake. A couple years ago Booby and I where out rippin it up right in front of the blind as that was the best water, the next day got a call from my buddy who is in the hunting group, appearantly there where a couple guy's in the blind ready to shoot us every time we made another pass, my response being we really didn't know they where even in there, which we didn't, his response being, now that's the point of the blind now isn't it!

The topper was when we finished up for the day we jammed all our empty beer cans on the bills of the decoy's, lucky thing they had already given up the hunt that day or Booby and I would still be pulling bird shot out of our backsides!

I can't stand duck hunters. I don't have any problem with them hunting, it is the mess they leave behind! They never take their blinds out, just leave them to rot and float out when it floods.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 11:46pm
Behind,

The guy's are real good about cleaning up on our lake, even the stuff we leave behind, skied on Saturday and left our mark once again!

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 10:50am
There is a proverb that goes like this...
'and tubers shall inherit the earth' or something to that effect..

It doesn't take much for those happy kids to clonk heads and then be face down...something the typical tuber would call and accident, but us here would call an eventuality.

Even my girl at 7 years old figured out that tubing is gai.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 5:41pm
Yeaa tubers are always in the way driving in an unpredictable manner with has been previously stated. When I do pull tubers(it has to be to rough to do anything else) I observe the counter clock wise ski lane and never do round in circles crap becasue I dont need that to throw people off(evil laugh). And what buggssss the crap out of me like many of you is the ONLY smooth part on our lake during the day gets clogged up with about 20 to 30 pontoons and anchored boats. At that point I either throw out anchor or go get the tubes. They dont understand that slalom skiing takes wayyy smother water than any other water sport. Theres also the wakeboarders in their 70,000 doller daddy baught it boats that go every which way creating ocean swells.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 6:54pm
phatsat67 wrote
They dont understand that slalom skiing takes wayyy smother water than any other water sport.

Just think how some of us feel when we try to foot. We would like even smoother water. Not saying footing can not be done on chop, but it's much more enjoyable when it's smooth.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 1:34am
Yea bfn I would know that if I could foot haha which hopefully will happen next season.
Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

And fishermen that park in the ski pattern get the complimentary 40+mph barefoot fly by.

At what range?!!?   LOL

Just outside casting range.
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 5:03pm
haha nice feel good, we do fly by's of ski lane parkers depending upon what kind of mood were in.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 6:33pm
phatsat67
come to GL or one of the various CCFan tour events planned for next year and I am sure you will have the basics by the end of the event. My brother and I learned at GL.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 9:33pm
If I have the money to pull the boat that far I may.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic