Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with buying 85’ Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
uiowawake5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with buying 85’ Nautique
    Posted: October-09-2007 at 8:12pm
Hey everyone I'm looking into purchasing a 86' nautique. It is not in my area so I would not be able to really see it unless I drove to purchase it. The boat hasn't been run in about 2 years. So I need some help on estimating how much time and money I would need to put into the boat to get it back into shape. The motor was running fine two years ago but the seller said it would need new flooring, carpet and vinyl seating. He said there was a soft spot behind the pylon and behind the drivers seat. Do you think the stringers are rot also? What would it cost to get put in new flooring, carpet/rubber flooring, and re vinyl the seats. I think I'm also going to need the engine looked at. Any purchasing pointers!?!?

Thanks
University of Iowa Waterski & Wakeboard Team
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 8:38pm
Run in the other direction, there are plenty of boats on this site that are ready to go.Sounds as if you will end up with fixer upper that could cost more to fix than the boat is worth.
Floor 1000.00
Seat Skins 2500.00
   Stringers 1500.00
    Major Engine Repair 2500.00

Do you really want to go there??????
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 8:52pm
Depends on how much you can do yourself, and how much your going to need someone else to do for you. Price of the boat needs to be taken into account also. Where is the boat located, someone here on the site maybe close to it and could look at it for you. I have not heard of anyone stealing a boat out from underneith anyone. It's safe to tell us where it is and how much.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 8:59pm
I agree with the Doc in principal. There are turn-key boats out there. Unless you are doing a project like some do, for the pleasure and the passion of breathing life back into a classic you might be better served to buy a hook and book. In 1981 one could buy a new Ski Nautique and trailer for $9500.00. I recently spent two years and $17,000. to get a $9500. boat and trailer. The bottom line is what are you trying to accomplish?

Good luck
bj
hasbeenskier
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 9:32pm
hasbeenskier,
That was very well put,I do not know what a 1964 American Skier cost new. The top of the line was possibly $3500.00,how much did I spend? Who cares,I could not buy the boat that I have built.
As for a newer model,they are cheaper tom buy than build.....
We will never sell our '64, she was built by Me for Me.I figure 10.00 per hour rental every time we take her out, at this rate I will recoup my money in 2020............
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

I figure 10.00 per hour rental every time we take her out, at this rate I will recoup my money in 2020............

If you have a good accountant, you could probably claim that as a tax deduction too.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2007 at 11:53pm
Its worth 2-3K tops.

Do it yourself:
Floor $1k
Engine $3K
New Cables $350
Trans $800
Shaft/prop $800

I would rather find one with high hours that has been well maintained than buy the penny pinchers boat with everything broken.

BUT

If they put it on ebay there is no doubt that some idiot will pay twice that.

I have an '86 needs a new floor, engine is ticking around 1800 hours now. I would not take less than 7k for it though. Mine gets lots of use but I replace parts on it every year so I do not end up fixing everything at once.

Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 12:12am
Thanks for the help.

I live in chicago but the boat is in alabama so i cant see it. I know the guy lives in indiana so he would have it pulled up to indy if i purchase it and i would meet him there. I'm pretty sure I could talk him down but he is asking 4,000 it. I guess I should look for a boat in better shape. I thought about getting an older SN but I am a wakeboarder so i would really like to purchase a 2001 but i dont want to spend more than 6k. Any other thoughts.

I dont mind doing somework on the boats like floor carpet and vinyl but I know I cant replace and engine or re do the stringers
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 1:14am
Iowa
There have been some nice 85-87 Barefoot Nautiques purchased in the last year for $6500-$8000 that were pretty solid. They make a great wakeboard boat. Like the others have said, if you are patient, you'll find the right CC.
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 4:49am
Alright so I have been looking at some other sites and found some more boats. I already looked at this one before but am thinking this could be a possibility. Will someone check this out and let me know what they think. http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9724

Also if you read what the owner wrote on the page it said he sanded out the gel coat and covered the stress cracks on the hull with marine-TEX. Is this a permanent fix. Also what would a decent paint job run for a boat like this. AND....ha, what about the engine. He says he has to let the engine idle for two minutes before he can give it gas or else it will die. Does it just need a tune up or is there a more serious problem. Also this boat has been reduced to 5,800 to high?

Thanks for all the help
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 11:46am
Originally posted by uiowawake5 uiowawake5 wrote:

Alright so I have been looking at some other sites and found some more boats. I already looked at this one before but am thinking this could be a possibility. Will someone check this out and let me know what they think. http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9724

Also if you read what the owner wrote on the page it said he sanded out the gel coat and covered the stress cracks on the hull with marine-TEX. Is this a permanent fix. Also what would a decent paint job run for a boat like this. AND....ha, what about the engine. He says he has to let the engine idle for two minutes before he can give it gas or else it will die. Does it just need a tune up or is there a more serious problem. Also this boat has been reduced to 5,800 to high?

Thanks for all the help

That boat is a mess. Assuming the floor and stringers were done properly (which is a big assumption), I still think the boat's only worth $3k max. He says the wood in the floor and 1 stringer is mostly new- he doesnt mention foam. It may run OK, but the cosmetics are awful, both in and out. They are not cheap or easy to fix.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Thanks for all the help

That boat is a mess. Assuming the floor and stringers were done properly (which is a big assumption), I still think the boat's only worth $3k max. He says the wood in the floor and 1 stringer is mostly new- he doesnt mention foam. It may run OK, but the cosmetics are awful, both in and out. They are not cheap or easy to fix.

I was chuckling at this boat when I saw the guy's ad the other day. Amazingly, it would be worth more had he never touched it. Now it will be almost impossible to sell, IMO. The best part was the painting the vinyl and trailer because he didn't like the color. Gotta love it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I was chuckling at this boat when I saw the guy's ad the other day. Amazingly, it would be worth more had he never touched it. Now it will be almost impossible to sell, IMO. The best part was the painting the vinyl and trailer because he didn't like the color. Gotta love it.

Agreed. Not sure why he thought he was adding value by half-assing the repairs. It will cost big bucks just to undo what he's screwed up. The only 2 purposes I can see that boat serving are as a beater wakeboard machine or a major project for someone. Either one will take a serious price reduction for the guy to move it.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:47am
Hey Patrick,

A fellow just posted an 86 SN on PlanetNautique for $5900, OBO. Looks like someone put some funky stickers on it which need to be removed, but it also sounds like the boat is in better shape than the one you were looking at. Also, it's in Rockford, IL, which I think is closer to you. Might want to check it out. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 4:40am
BKHALLPASS,

Yeah thanks. I actually just saw this boat today around 2 so I sent him an email. Still waiting to hear back from him. I think this boat is more up my alley. Its only about an hour from my house with a good trailer and looks to be in somewhat good condition. Most importantly its in my price range. I just hope he responds and someone has not picked it up before I have. How does this boat look to you guys. I requested more pics too so if I get them I'll post them. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I would possibly do with the mastercraft stars and stripes stickers on the hull?

Thanks for all your help,
Patrick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:52am
Those stickers will peel off. Remove, buff out the gel, and, if you want, put back on Ski Nautique stickers. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:03pm

I would possibly do with the mastercraft stars and stripes stickers on the hull?

Just take them off. You can make original graphics for an '86 using the files in the Reference section of this site.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:01pm
Good News!

I talked to the seller of the 86' SN 2001 that BKH had told me about. I'm going to look at it this week. He did mention that the engine is from a Martinique....Any problems with this? also he said there is a gash in the vinyl on the engine cover and I might want to re do some of the seats. Also he said if he were to keep it he would re carpet it and re fiberglass the strips of fiberglass that are between the floor and the side hull on the inside. Does anyone know what this means. He said they are little inserts that run along the wall on the floor. Does this take a lot of work? He said he would just recomend doing it if I recarpet to get rid of the bit of flex in the floor. So if I do purchase this boat I will take the stickers off, re do the carpet this winter or next, and get the vinyl fixed on the seats. Finally, I will put in a monster tower that might come before everything else. Does anyone know what it would take money/time to recaprt and fix the fiberglass inserts in the floor.

AGAIN thanks for the help everyone. I think I have found my boat and hopefully will be part of the CC SN family soon enough.

If anyone has any thoughts on this boat and if I should purchase it our not let me know.

I will be posting the pictures I am recieving from the seller soon.

Thanks again,
Patrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:09pm
Also I forgot to mention....He said that the interior of this boat is the standard interior instead of the "DELUXE" or someword like that. Does this mean that the back bench seat is not in the boat. Is there just like a vinyl padding around the collar of the boat and no seat. Like in a 70 SN I know I looked at a 79' nautique with no back bench/seat it just had a vinyl collar. If you could explain the differnce of the two interiors that would help.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:18pm

Also he said if he were to keep it he would re carpet it and re fiberglass the strips of fiberglass that are between the floor and the side hull on the inside. Does anyone know what this means. He said they are little inserts that run along the wall on the floor. Does this take a lot of work? He said he would just recomend doing it if I recarpet to get rid of the bit of flex in the floor.

Maybe he is referring to the vinyl trim around the base of the carpet? The "flex in the hull" is confusing. Better get some clarification on that. He claims that the stringers are solid, but Id check them carefully. If there are any soft spots in the floor, run away.

No problem using the Martinique motor- theyre the same. Its a genuine PCM shown in the pics.

This is a standard interior:

This is a delux:

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:30pm

Good News!

Any problems with this? also he said there is a gash in the vinyl on the engine cover and I might want to re do some of the seats. Also he said if he were to keep it he would re carpet it and re fiberglass the strips of fiberglass that are between the floor and the side hull on the inside. Does anyone know what this means. He said they are little inserts that run along the wall on the floor. Does this take a lot of work? He said he would just recomend doing it if I recarpet to get rid of the bit of flex in the floor. So if I do purchase this boat I will take the stickers off, re do the carpet this winter or next, and get the vinyl fixed on the seats. Finally, I will put in a monster tower that might come before everything else. Does anyone know what it would take money/time to recaprt and fix the fiberglass inserts in the floor.

Did he run fat sacs in it? I have seen the floor sperated from the side due to the weight. Its never as easy as replacing carpet, just plan on replacing the floor/stringers and doing the job right. You can recarpet, but the best thing to do is use it, and put a new floor in it when the time comes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:35pm
TRB,

Thanks for those photos. what year are the boats in the pictures. It looks like the bottom one is a 86 or older but I can't tell with the top one is it about the same year or earlier?

Behind,

I think I'll just run the floor out until it craps out on me. I just dont want to cause any spider cracks in the hull because of the week stringers (if there are any) and the extra weight in the boat. whats a good way to check if the stringers are solid? besides turning the bolts by the engine....
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

re fiberglass the strips of fiberglass that are between the floor and the side hull on the inside. Does anyone know what this means. He said they are little inserts that run along the wall on the floor. to get rid of the bit of flex in the floor.

Maybe he is referring to the vinyl trim around the base of the carpet? The "flex in the hull" is confusing. Better get some clarification on that. He claims that the stringers are solid, but Id check them carefully. If there are any soft spots in the floor, run away.

I'm worried about the condition of the stringers on this boat. The floor broken away from the hull and the flex in the floor and the hull doesn't sound good.

Patrick, Have you done any checking on the stringers? There are a couple good threads on it if you need. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here is one on stringers: rot?
Even a better thread that includes the floor separating from the hull:
rot again

Edit: Patrick, Read Brian's post (the next one) carefully. He has some very good thoughts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:39pm
Patrick,

Please be careful. It sounds like you are really excited, and perhaps are already leaning to "I've found my boat."

What I think you've found is a boat which meets your criteria in terms of brand, location, and price range. My advice would be that you go look at the boat with no emotion. Make sure you have an open mind to really scrutinize the boat. Make sure it is in satisfactory condition for what you will pay. Make sure you don't allow yourself to overlook faults just because you want a boat so badly, and because this one fits in your price range. In short, you should be equally as willing to walk away as to purchase the boat. There are and will be lots more boats out there.

If you do your due diligence, get the right price for the boat, and decide to purchase it, then post some pictures and we can all share in your excitement and enthusiasm.

Regards,

BKH
Livin' the Dream

freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:46pm
[QUOTE=uiowawake5] Thanks for the help.

I live in chicago but the boat is in alabama so i cant see it.

Where in Alabama? There are a couple of us here in the Birmingham area that would be glad to take a look at it for you.

Chris
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 11:54pm
Two boats I looked at this past year that were 2001 models both had the floor separating at the edge which I understand is not all that uncommon. The one I ended up purchasing does have some separation therefore gives the impression of a soft spot.

The PO thought he simply had a soft spot and when I pulled up the carpet edge and showed how the floor was actually seperated he came off the price.

I've already taken it to a local guy and he said it's pretty easy to fix with a new strip of fiberglass. It's pretty thin right up on that edge of the floor it looks like. I did the check the stringers first though and the boat had no vibrations so I felt ok with it being separated. Money I talked him down will pay for the repair.

Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:36am
Free,

This is what I believe is the problem with this boat. He said he was pretty sure the stringers were solid and he was a previous CC dealership owner and a nice guy so I believe him...for now. I will be checking out the boat soon. But he was telling me it was a strip of fiberglass that runs right up against the inside wall along the floor. He said it needed to be replaced cause it gave a little flex in the floor when you stepped next to the wall. I'll have to check it out when I see it.

As for the boat in alabama, I'm waiting to hear back from the owner. I will let you know where it is exactly located in AL. Maybe we could work something out. I would be willing to send you something in repayment for checking the boat out.

Thanks
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:53am
UOI,

If the owner that boat is Brian Huels he is the former owner of the CC dealer in Rockford, IL, IIRC it was rockford marine or B3 marine, he is a good guy and a true CC enthusiast. There are some guy's in the area here if you need some help, just let us know.

Good Luck!

BTW, JMurphy I think bought a boat from him also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uiowawake5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 3:34am
Quinner,

I talked to Brian on the phone today. He seems like a really nice guy. He was very upfront with me about the boat and seemed to really know what he was talking about. I'm sure when I do purchase a boat though, I will be asking around for help in the area.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:30am

TRB,

Thanks for those photos. what year are the boats in the pictures. It looks like the bottom one is a 86 or older but I can't tell with the top one is it about the same year or earlier?

I believe they are both '85's. The stripe pattern might be a little different for '86, but otherwise theyll look the same.

This is what it looks like when the floor seperates from the hull:

Like others have voiced, this would be a big concern of mine. Even though it may be a simple fix (reglassing), the damage may already be done. That huge gap is likely to have allowed water below the floor, which inevitably leads to soaked foam and rotten stringers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic