NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone ever heard of this

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone ever heard of this
    Posted: September-12-2007 at 7:44pm
Hey guys I am looking for a intake adaptor to put on the intake hose for the raw water intake hose before the strainer so that I can attach the garden hose directly to the raw water intake hose so that I don’t have to use a fake-a-lake a buddy of mine used to have one on his boat not sure where he got it so I am ask you guys to see if you guys think it good or bad and to see if someone has done it in the 2001.

Does home depot have these parts to do that?
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 7:52pm
I am not sure about Home Depot, but SKIDIM does. Works pretty well from my experience. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP6
Brent
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 7:54pm
Been there, done that. Yes, you can get the parts at HD for ~$15. You'll need a plastic 1"x1" T, an NPT-GHT adapter, and a plug. Instead of a plug, I use a valve.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 8:45pm
I always just pulled the hose at the pick-up and and clamped it around the garden hose no leaks no fake a lake cheap. Tims set up works just as easy too.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 11:30pm
I like your idea of using the valve.....looks like there may be a trip to the hardware store in my furture.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 11:57pm
only bad think about your set up tim is you can get a lot of air in the flow of thinks, maybe you block off the other end but if not?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:15am
Tim; Looks sweet...like everything else under your motor box.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:19am
not to be critical, but your trans needs some paint
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:23am
You gotta be kidding...you seen the rest of his motor? Who looks at the tranny anyhow?

LOL....just kidding eric.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 10:43am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

not to be critical, but your trans needs some paint

That's pretty crititcal
We know you're just kiddin Eric. Even so, I'll bet you 5 bucks Tim is out there with a can of rustoleum this weekend.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 10:53am
What's the hose with the cap that sticks up out of the bell housing?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 11:07am
Tim
That is a nice setup. But like 79 asked, do you have a problem with air in the water stream?
My trailer bunk partially blocks my intake, so my fake-a-lake doesn't work. (anyone need one?)
That setup will work great for my boat. I'll make a plate to block the intake when in use.
Thanks, Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 11:18am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

I like your idea of using the valve.....looks like there may be a trip to the hardware store in my furture.

3-way ball valves! No cap. Just a 3/4" garden hose adapter.

Go oversize so the ball port is full size.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

That is a nice setup. But like 79 asked, do you have a problem with air in the water stream?

No problems at all. Im sure the RWP is drawing some air through the intake grate when its on the hose, but theres plenty of water going through to keep the impeller lubricated. Since theres no load on the motor in neutral, it stays at a constant 160.

I cant catch a break with you guys! The engine actually needs paint as bad as the tranny- the whole point of the shiny pipes was to distract your attention.

Riley, the 12" terminated hose coming off the top of the transmission is the PCM-perscribed fix for the early 1.23:1 transmissions. M3Fan installed it to cure the buzzing at idle.

Pete, that 3-way valve would be a monster considering youre hooking it up to 1" hose. By the time you add the barbs and GHT adapter, I dont think that would make for a very clean install. Besides, is there any real advantage to closing off the intake grate when youre on the hose? I run cool and get long life out of my impellers. If I forget to shut the valve when I drop it in the water, Ill suck some air and start to overheat at idle. With a shut off, you'll fry that impeller pretty quick with zero flow.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 1:30pm
If you do not have a setup like Timmy or a Flush Flo Pro IMHO the best way to run on the trailer is putting your intake hose and a garden hose in a 5gal bucket, when running directly from the garden hose if you rev the engine at all it will collapse the hose as the draw is greater than the flow. When running in the bucket you always have a reserve of water should any revving be necessary, this system also works well with getting anti freeze in the motor, after you drain all the water just fill the bucket with Anti Freeze and run.

Whenever running from the hose only I would be careful not to come off idle, the hose will not keep up with the draw.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 1:54pm
Ok guys!! I'm back to my fake fake-a-lake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 3:30pm
I am a little confused so is there a cheaper way of doing this? I thought this might be a 25 dollar part run to Lowes. Not a 57bucks order from SkiDim. Is there a down fall to doing this I was going to use this so I don’t have to use the fake-a-lake and so that I don’t have to crawl under the boat to run the hose. I was thinking this would be a easy way to do things. I am second guessing myself.

Do you really have to tape up the Intake opening on the bottom of the boat every time you want to use this.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 85Nautique 85Nautique wrote:

I am a little confused so is there a cheaper way of doing this? I thought this might be a 25 dollar part run to Lowes. Not a 57bucks order from SkiDim. Is there a down fall to doing this I was going to use this so I don’t have to use the fake-a-lake and so that I don’t have to crawl under the boat to run the hose. I was thinking this would be a easy way to do things. I am second guessing myself.

Do you really have to tape up the Intake opening on the bottom of the boat every time you want to use this.

Did you read my post? The simple T and fittings to connect the garden hose will only cost $15 from Home Depot. No need to close the intake grate. This has worked well on all of my family's Nautiques for years.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 3:49pm
Thanks sorry I understand Now thank you!!!

I am reading this and answering phones at the same time
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:55am
Can anyone post a pic of the 5 gal bucket set-up?

I'm leaning toward TRBenj's set up, but I want to do my due diligence.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
JAG459 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 11:12pm
What the hell. Here's one more setup. Despite what everyone says, in the 13 years since I installed it I've never once failed to return the valve to the correct direction after flushing. Even though this setup works perfectly if I ever had to do it again I would install the Flush Flo Pro
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:13am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

Can anyone post a pic of the 5 gal bucket set-up?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:37am
Oh! I always thought those were the 18.927059 Liter buckets. Boy do I feel dumb...

So what do I do? Just wave it in the general direction of that hole in the bottom of the boat that makes me so nervous? Do I need to take all the drywall joint compound out first? Lid on or lid off? Does it have to be white? I see the orange ones with the little cartoon guy on them sometimes.

Or is just owning one enough? If I borrow one, but don't own it, will it still work? Maybe I have this all wrong - should I just put in the boat and cover it for the winter and all will be fine?

Screw it, just going sell the boat before it gets cold. The trailer tires have summer air in them anyway, I don't know where to get winter air.

Seriously Brian, I had that coming - nice job! Now hand me the board stretcher, this one is too short. And I think I'm going to need a piece of shore line and a hurtz donut.

Mike

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:54am
It's all fun Mike. I wish I could help you, but where I live winterizing a boat means you throw in an extra sweatshirt, and little blanket for your passengers.

I would think you would sit the bucket in the bildge by the transmission. disconnect the intake hose and place it in the bucket, then put the garden hose into the bucket.

As someone else suggested, the few times I have to flush a boat, or run it on the trailer, I just disconnect the intake hose, insert my garden hose, apply a hose clamp, turn the water on and go. You just have to be careful that the pressure doesn't compress the garden hose and cut off your water supply to the motor. The bucket prevents this problem. Some guys use the bucket to run anti-freeze through the motor for winterization. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 4:42am
BKH,

I hope you know I was kidding with everything I said. I kind of got on a roll and couldn't stop. I thought the image you posted was hilarious. Although now that I know you are one of those non-winterizing guys, well...

Thanks for the description, I also use your method to flush. I just couldn't figure out how the bucket came into the equation.

Thanks,
Mike

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 4:48am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

BKH,

I hope you know I was kidding

Absolutely. Your response had me laughing so hard my wife came in the office to read your post. It's all fun. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 4:58am
Good stuff, Thanks BKH.

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 5:35am

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:23am

That was some funny sh** (especially, "should I take out the drywall compound?"). Started my morning, AT WORK ON A SATURDAY, off right,
Thanks

Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:48am
Mike,

As Brian described, the diffirence in using the bucket is you fill the bucket 1/2 or 3/4 full then start the boat, if you rev the engine at all you will see the water level drop because a hose usually can't keep up with the draw.

Have a flush pro now so my bucket has retired.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic