NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New intake manifold choices

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New intake manifold choices
    Posted: September-10-2007 at 1:36am
Hi everyone, I am amazed how long it took me to register here.

I have owned my 78 351W martinique since 2002, and at that time I did a full interior redo, including stringer repair, and re flooring.

Now I have a minor running issue, and the only thing I can see the problem could be is a bad intake manifold gasket. my boat has a rebuilt Holley 4160 600cfm carb, the stock 4v intake and heads, was running a pertronix for 5 years, but that failed and now I am running a new points setup for the final weeks of the season.

well, since the gaskets are cheap, I might as well throw an aftermarket intake on it.

so, it looks like the non EGR edelbrock performer would be a nice addition. What about the performance products unit? or any other unit? I would rather not have to get a new flame arrestor.

I def do not want the RPM versions, since I want the low end power.

also, will I have any clearance issues with the performer? I have the stock flame arrestor, which is ~3" tall and ~6" in diameter.

Do I have to use marine intake gaskets? or are those the same as the automotive ones?

and will i need to modify the throttle bracket?

I am certain I will need to mod my fuel line from the mech fuel pump.

I read about the edelbrock manifold having a plug on it to run the PCV line to it, to maybe get the performer to clear the clamshell. Does that work?
anything else?

I will need a converter plate to run the edelbrock intake with the holley carb, but will the performance products, or weiand, or any other brands allow me to not put another plate between the carb and the intake to allow it to fit under the engine cover???

TIA,

Tom

I would love to do this this weekend so i can at least get some skiing in this weekend.

I know I can get the edelbrock at any auto parts store, as well as the carb conversion, and would there be any additional parts I would need beside the gaskets , some RTV, and the carb conv kit?

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 12:20am
bump...

I would love to do the swap this weekend, and could use some advice.

Tom
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 12:56am
Some like the Wieand over the Performer, but I think it is one inch taller than the Performer. The carb conversion plate is very thin and really shouldn't hamper your clearance. Put some clay, playdo, or silly putty on the highest point of your arrestor, close the lid. Lift the lid and measure the thickness of the putty. I'm running the Performer with gt40p heads and am very happy. Probably be the cheapest route anyway.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 1:56am
thanks for the advice.

what year / model of nautique do you have, and did you have clearance issues on yours?

also, did you keep the original spacer with the vacuum port, or did you use the port some speak of on the edelbrock manifold, and eliminate the
factory spacer?

from what i saw on the threads here, the gusy with the taller flame arrester's had clearance issues.

I think my motor cover is up a 1/2" or maybe more over what the original was at since I used 1/2" plywood for the floor in that area of the boat when I redid the entire inside back in 02.

or was it 3/4" ply???

either way I darn near guarantee I have at least a half inch more clearance than what was stock.

is the performance products unit the exact clone of the performer? I was pretty sure it was, and that would make sense since the mustang 5.0 PPI typhoon intake is a replica of the edelbrok performer, just cheaper...

I like the weiand as well, but if it is taller, then I will most certainly need a different flame arrester, which is something I could live with, esp now that I have a shiny carb on it....and soon a nice looking intake.

did you use marine intake gaskets?
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 6:18am
I don't have a CC boat. '88 Brendella. I did use a low profile arrestor, but I have no idea of your clearance issues. Use the putty like said to check. I believ that intake is a replica of the performer, but for the price, I would go with the Edelbrock. I used a spacer plate with my carb. And yes, marine gaskets.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 11:45am
the performance product intake is better than the performer hands down. And for the right price I'll sell you my chrome version/new in the box/unused if you have a 351w motor.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 12:00pm
Chris, I will give ya 20.00 and you pay the postage, that my best offer..........boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 12:29pm
Here's a pic of a performer and it shows the rear plug. I have a newer Holley with the port on the base so I did not use the carb spacer. Without the spacer everything fits back in exactly the same.   Throttle cables and even the steel fuel line bolted right up, The height of the flame arrestor is exactly the same as before. If you DO use the spacer you'll need to check for clearance.

Some don't like to use the rear plug and claim it can lean out the back cylinders, I have no input on that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 1:10pm
Just for reference, here are (from left to right) the Edelbrock Performer, Weiand Stealth and stock intake manifolds.

We've had this discussion before, so a search would help. The Performer is ~1.5" taller than stock, the Stealth is ~1" taller than the Performer. Use the clay trick to see what kind of clearance you have. Though not easy to find, there are some low profile arrestors out there if you decide to go with a taller setup.

All my research indicated that the taller manifolds (Stealth, Performer RPM) outperformed the standard performer in the midrange- which is where we want the power in our boats. If you have the height, I say go with one of those. You wont lose any low end with those choices. The Performer will still be a good improvement over stock if you go that route.

You may or may not run the risk of leaning out a cylinder by ditching the spacer and running the PCV to the intake runner. I didnt want to take the chance and kept the spacer.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 1:22pm
please don't even bring up that BS about leaning out cylinders, I've got one jackass that brought that up and it is so far out in left field. If it was the case then every GM motor ever made would be burning pistons left and right.

The spacer is for performance not for the PCV hose.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 2:31pm
very nice looking motor Tim, gotta love the work you did on the exhaust system
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 8:31pm
Just looking for comments and advice.
I am going to put a little punch in my 1994 351 carbed motor this spring. I have ordered the gt40p heads and will also be replacing the intake, was going to go with Edelbrock performer #2181 but have been hearing comments that the Weiand Stealth is better. For the minimal cost diverence I will go Weiand with low profile arrestor if it will fit under the engine box. Currently boat is in storage so I have ot been able to do the silly putty test. Does anyone know off-hand if this set up will fit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Bigcity Bigcity wrote:

Just looking for comments and advice.
I am going to put a little punch in my 1994 351 carbed motor this spring. I have ordered the gt40p heads and will also be replacing the intake, was going to go with Edelbrock performer #2181 but have been hearing comments that the Weiand Stealth is better. For the minimal cost diverence I will go Weiand with low profile arrestor if it will fit under the engine box. Currently boat is in storage so I have ot been able to do the silly putty test. Does anyone know off-hand if this set up will fit.

Assuming you have the 1.23 tranny, it will fit if you can find a 2" flame arrestor. My setup with the Stealth is pictured above.

Are you upgrading the cam at the same time? I highly recommend it.
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 10:00pm
Tranny is 1.1. The motor only has 250 hours so I was only thinking top end improvements. Compaired to 1999 GT40 Air seemed like engine lacks a bit of power in turns do you know if the performer will fit as an alternative.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 10:04pm
Yes it is a bolt on , but a Cam would be a upgrade that will only improve the induction package.
Cam Research W/ lifters = cheap horsepower
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 10:09pm
Is there a cam spec you recommend. I was trying to keep this project a simple as possible and the labour cost to a min. With the Edelbrock it sounds like I will have to use the adapter plate.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 2:00pm

Tranny is 1.1. The motor only has 250 hours so I was only thinking top end improvements. Compaired to 1999 GT40 Air seemed like engine lacks a bit of power in turns do you know if the performer will fit as an alternative.

Im not positive, but you may run into more clearance issues with the 1.1 due to the engine angle. The 1.23 sits pretty flat. No way to be sure until you do the clay test.

If you can only run the Performer, definitely get the adapter plate- you dont want to deal with vacuum leaks. Many people here have upgraded their intake run to the Performer manifold, by the way.

The cam is very much part of the top end, and will really pull the head+intake package together. The cost of a custom cam+lifter set from Cam Research is very inexpensive (~$200). Just tell them what components youre using and what you want the motor to do and they'll make a great recommendation.

It will be easiest to install the cam while you have the heads and intake off already, so it makes sense to do this upgrade now if youre going to do it at all. If youre not doing the labor yourself, I have no idea what it will cost.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 12:04pm
tr, i see you painted the trans lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Man, I cant catch a break with you guys! The trans isnt getting fresh paint until it comes out of the boat again- which wont happen until the engine gets rebuilt. I hope that doesnt happen anytime soon!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Man, I cant catch a break with you guys! The trans isnt getting fresh paint until it comes out of the boat again- which wont happen until the engine gets rebuilt. I hope that doesnt happen anytime soon!

Then you must have washed and waxed it.
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 5:29pm
Thanks for all your imput TR. If the cost is only a couple hundred or so for the cam and lifters I will probably take your advise do it right the first time. I hope to be able to run the stock pistons, carb etc so I will contact Cam Research to see what they suggest.

This is a new boat to me and I have only put 15 hours or so on it. The hole shot is strong and it pulls my 210 pound ass out of the water with out hesitation. The motor seems to top out at approximately 4300-4400 rpm and 43-44 mph, I would like to see say 48-50mph with more grunt in hard turn arounds. I hope the improvements will give me 300+ HP.

All the best, Happy New Year.

Bigcity

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 6:48pm
without meeting you in person TR, its safe for me to say that you too are obssesive compulsive
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 7:22pm

I hope to be able to run the stock pistons, carb etc

No problem. The stock pistons are fine to run with the upgrades, and the stock carb is more than adequate as far as CFM goes.

The motor seems to top out at approximately 4300-4400 rpm and 43-44 mph, I would like to see say 48-50mph... I hope the improvements will give me 300+ HP

Sounds like youre getting normal performance out of the stock engine. Adding heads+intake+cam should get you over 300hp pretty easily (probably closer to 320hp, depending on the cam specs), and solid 47-50mph depending on how fast your particular hull is.

more grunt in hard turn arounds

I should have mentioned this before, but the first thing you should be upgrading is the prop. That is the single biggest performance improvement you can make. By all means, upgrade to an Acme 540. It will improve all around performance- holeshot, skiability, and probably top end as well. It will bite harder in turns as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 7:24pm

without meeting you in person TR, its safe for me to say that you too are obssesive compulsive

I think Ill take that as a compliment.

I dont think Im too bad- just particular, thats all. The pic above must be flattering- I really havent cleaned or painted my transmission!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 7:38pm
Tim: I am sure it was a compliment.
Funny how ya feel like ya know a guy on here...even if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting in person.

I gotta agree as to the pic of the motor (engine?), every time I see it I am impressed.

I am not sure how it all works but...when the guys helped me with my '80, the performer plus GT40p heads and tweaking the points gave me 50mph with a 13x13 OJ Legend. I have an Acme 540 that I have not gotten on yet buy am excited to try.

Without a doubt you came to the right place to ask questions.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 7:59pm
Thanks JBear, I know what you mean!

The hulls are completely different- your '80 takes less power to go fast than the 90+ boats. The 540 may slow your boat down, but Im betting its a better pulling prop, since thats what Alan uses for skiing.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 9:15pm
MM used my Legend for awhile and really liked it...thought it was faster on his '80 so you probably are right. He had an Acme that he won at GL and did not like it. But I think Mark is more about spped than I am. Not sure how much if any skiing he does anymore. But me...I use my boat to ski some too so I can't wait to try the 540. If Alan is using it it must be pretty good.

Happy...Safe...Lucky New Year to ya my friend!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 5:04pm
well, I wasn't able to get the boat running right when I posted this question originally.

Time and $$ was short, so it is happening now.

Fortunately I was able to find a set of used gt40p heads I had a machine shop prep for use on my 351w. They decked the heads, installed new valve seals, and brass plugs. Plus drilled out the head bolt holes.

I have my performer manifold all ready to mount next thursday before the 4th.

I was able to get the whole top end apart last weekend, and then get the new heads on.

I was able to snap a few pics as well.

I got a complete full pcm gasket set, and FINALLY painted the green exhaust manifolds a more palatable gloss black.

I purchased a set of trick flow valve covers, chrome steel, but I may end up running the originals (with a fresh paint job) because of the differences in breathers, and no baffles on the trick flows.

I might run the stock 87 mustang 5.0 valve covers since it appears those would fit with no issues, provided the PVC port is on those VC's.

I will run the spacer with the pcv port, and if I have to I will cut down the flame arrestor.
Like I said earlier, I know I have more clearance than stock, sicne I used either 1/2" or 3/4" plwood for the floor.

That reminds me, I need to buy the carb adapter.

Is this what I need?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2732
or
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2DG1420&view=1&N=700+

I have the edelbrock performer 2181 intake manifold, and a holley 4160.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic