NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saving Family

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:54pm
Pete, gotta buddy lookin' what do ya want for that clunker?
Do not even have to ask what shape she is in,shoot me a pic and what the winter time" Buy It Now " price.
It may be too late for him to buy now , just asking..........boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 1:05pm
i was just at the Mastercrap dealer and the x80 is going for 89k, and people are lining up to buy them, its a beauty...the frickin thing has heated seats!
90% of all masters are v-drives, the midship mount is slowly fading,
I was just spying, the 2008's in the front look like a cat hull, they have 2 points, kinda slick looking
my heart still belongs to CC's
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:18pm
Doc, So, part of your buying technique is to call it a "clunker" !! Well really, I don't think it would pay to haul the clunker all the way to LA. but thanks for your concern. I started asking $4100 at the begining of summer because it has a new lower unit on it (less than 5 hours on it). That was dropped to $3800 mid summer and come spring time I think I'll start at $3500. The boat is in good shape with the normal repaired nicks in the gel coat and has about 550 hours on it. My son and daughter learned how to repair gel and buff it and the result was there weren't anymore nicks in the gel after that!! Amazing! the upholstery has one hole smaller than a dime. It also has a extended pylon for the wake boarding/skating.

The lower unit is a good story! I was home when my wife called from up north telling me she was having shifting problems. Because she didn't have a means of trailering the boat to my normal marina, she pulled it in to a "mechanic" on the lakes. He ended up replacing the helm (shift/throttle) and she used it until I got up 4 weeks later. I got in the boat only to find that the shift was so out of adjustment that it would rev up to about 2000 and then "clunk" into gear. By that time the poor shift dogs had seen the end of their life. I re adjusted and we ran it that summer until they finally went. It has always amazed me that the old crude method of clutch dogs have been used for so many years. I think Ole Evenrude invented it! From a mechanical engineering standpoint the dogs are junk. OMC's electric clutch was a step in the right direction but it hasn't gone anywhere! I think with the economy getting bad, the market for less expensive used will improve so I have my hopes up for this spring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:33pm
Pete , My humble apologies, if I offended thee.Sometimes sarcasm does not do well on a keyboard,did not know it was a stern drive. And an OMC at that,will keep looking for a inboard for him........
Is the back yard project almost done???????
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 4:14pm
I have one of these units for parts if anyone has a need, it was a hydraulic assist shift, if your dogs are worn pete and they are the same as what i have you can have them, just let me know
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:11pm
Doc, No the boat does have a Merc I/O in it. You just missed that from a earlier post. The OMC was just a reference to a lower unit with something besides the Damn crude dogs in it.
The back yard is cleaned up but of coarse with lots of trees gone, it looks bare! I cut up all the shed into burnable size pieces for my air tight wood stove. At least I'll get some heat from it. Yesterday the check showed up from the insurance company and they covered about 90% so I was surprised and happy. Still would not want to go through it and can't imagine what the flooding was like down by you.

Eric, I ended up with a new lower unit so my dogs are fine!! Thanks

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:57pm
Pete , unless I missed something here ....
be it Merc,or OMC,almost all Mercs were clutch dog F/R. The Bravo is a cone type,as well as the newer Volvo Penta.
As far as I know all OMC products used the clutch dog setup,The powershift was a hydraulic assist set up ,but was still a sliding clutch dog. Same for the eletric shift, it just used two solenoids to move the shift rod up or down. The system had a fail safe that would lock into forward if the shift system failed or power was cut off to the l/unit....POS in my opinion..
M/Cruiser has the best c/dog set out there , followed by the Bravo......boat dr

the old r/ mr / a drives were not shabby either, just not as easy to work on as the Alpha 1, or the newer Gen. 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:32am
Doc, Thanks for the info on the old OMC set up in the lower unit. I thought for some reason that the electric clutch's did more than just shift the old dogs. Never had one apart but they did shift smoother that the mechanically shifted dogs. I remember at 14 when working at the marina that the first job they gave me was to replace the dogs in a old outboard. I remember the lower gear case split and the "gasket" was a piece of thread that was layed into a bead of aviation sealant. Real tricky to get the thread to stay put on the narrow flange of the split gear case.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic