Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8230
Printed Date: May-22-2024 at 5:51pm

Topic: Saving Family
Posted By: Nautique2001
Subject: Saving Family
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 1:56pm
So my wife tells me that my brother in law is looking to purchase a 2001 Glastron with I/O. After my heart was re-started, I began asking questions. Long story short, he's looking for a boat for cruising with friends, family and little ones. This will be his first boat.

We plan on talking boats tonight over the phone. Am I being too forward by saying the Glastron with a 4 cylinder, 135 HP is a dog and he won't be happy? Maybe I'm too tied up in power and performance and shouldn't down-talk an I/O. I plan on recommending an early 90's Sport Nautique, or a SNOB if I can even find one on this planet.

Is it wrong to slow somebody's process down of purchasing their first boat and having them focus on better quality and performance? He might have his heart set on this Glastron and I might be coming off as a pain in the ass. Your thoughts?

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 2:06pm
i had a renken with an omc 4 banger and after one summer i killed the entire lower unit..i was it was due to the watersport activities that we do..they are a dog, and its way harder to learn how to ski/board etc behind them..they just dont have the torque that a v-8 or even a v-6 has..everyone i know that has an i/o hates it..not a lot ofpeople but enough..many after riding in my boat talk about how they want one now..cant go wrong with a ski/wake boat imo..
if hes just wants a boat to putt around on and thats it, im sure it will do the job..if he ever plans on getting into watersports, then id say no way..

Posted By: lztat573
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 2:31pm
I have a friend that was looking at an I/O and I tried to talk to him, telling him that I thought it would be a bad purchase. He said he just wanted a good all around boat, and didn’t like the price tag that comes with these kinds of boats. So I took him out on the lake and showed him all that you can do with a V-drive and now he is looking for one.

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 4:03pm
Let him get what he wants so that he can find out if he'll enjoy boating and all the responsibilities that comes with it. He'll get used to driving it and figure out what he wants to accomplish with it and his family. If they're just going to putt around between sandbars and and occasionally pull a tube, more power to him. If they start to get into watersports, then take him out in yours and show him the differences between a what he has and what you have.

Same thing happened with my brother in law. Had a Bayliner that he was so proud of. When he started getting into skiing and learning to slalom, I took him out in my boat and had him slaloming and footing in one afternoon. I told him that he would probably not be able to get up behind his boat though the same as mine. The next weekend, it worked out exactly as I had told him, and that year he sold his Bayliner and bought a 92 SN.

My point is that he learned boating responsibilities and etiquette in that Bayliner. He leared what not to do with a boat and when he got the SN, he already had the bad learning experiences out of the way and just had to concentrate on learning to drive an inboard.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 4:15pm
Divorce is a common word in the boating industry,not man and wife but boat and owner.
Backfoot, did you marry the first woman that you kissed or slept with?Same goes for a boat,"sleep" around a little bit.Find that "I will slow down and the right one will fall in my lap"
Haste makes waste,with a boat most buy high and sell low............boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 4:40pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Would you agree that at least if he's going to purchase an I/O, find something with at least a 4.3 or 5.0 engine? I was on a Starcraft with a 3.0 and it couldn't plane worth a damn. Frustrating for a first time boater, especially pulling a skier or tuber.

I do enjoy I/O's for their soft rides and loading people in. I've always loved the Cobalts. I'd prefer the 7.4 if I were going that route. It's not my money or choice, but I'll see where my bro-in-law ends up.

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Posted By: 882001
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 4:54pm
my buddy ran out and bought a brand new 19 ft searay just to relize he wanted to wakeboard. traded in in less than 6 months and lost several thousand dollars that he had to roll into his new boat. my advice would take him out a few times and if you or he knows someone with an i/o get them to take him out. let him drive the nautique he will be hooked. my weighted dd drives way better than an unweighted i/o.

buy high sell low- ftw

-------------
kemah texas
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=163&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990 - 1988
skinautique "2001"

Posted By: 63CCSN
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 5:53pm
Everyone's wants and needs are different. Keep peace in the family, give your advice and then let him figure it out for himself.

"some people you can tell and some people have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 6:45pm
LOL Adam......but how true.

Let him buy Ken then just make sure yours is avalible for comparison. After he smacks himself in the head and goes "duhhh" don't say "I told ya so" even tho it'll be hard not to.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 9:09pm
Hey John,

I'd like to keep him from walking into a pile of poop. I'll certainly make my boat available for a test run, versus the Glastron. I think the only thing the Glastron has over the Nautique is fuel economy, period. Although when that 3.0 is choking and sputtering to get up to speed, it probably used more gas than the Nautique.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 9:38pm
Right....it'll be so less efficent.

But ya gotta let a man make up his own mind.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 10:47pm
after throwing another 100 bucks in the tank yesterday im thinking the 4 cylinder aint so bad, i would be cruising today again, you have to really think what am i going to do with the boat? for family outings the 4 cylinder is perfect and they are not to bad on power, you guys are use to neck snappers. I guess it alll depends what his intentions are with boating

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 11:00pm
eric wow thats a lot of fuel. how far are you going? is that skiing, wakeboarding[with a ton of weight} my tank is only 27 gallons @3 a gallon is 81 dollars and a tank will last a few wakeboard trips with 1000# ballest and 4-8 people.

-------------
kemah texas
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=163&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990 - 1988
skinautique "2001"

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 11:06pm
eric must bs doin' a lot of barefoot runs.

I'll restrain myself on the "barefoot and Bruns.......comments.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 11:40pm
ahhh barefooting, i forgot about barefooting. that will use some fuel.

-------------
kemah texas
skinautique "2001"

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 11:43pm
thats to Put in bay and back with a Big block Chevy, 100 bucks is a Quarter of a tank, 26 footer. time to down size

-------------

Date Posted: September-03-2007 at 11:46pm
oh not the nautique at all. dont you have a 2001?

-------------
kemah texas
skinautique "2001"

Posted By: racintj
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:03am
I've always been told, and for the most part it's true...with an I/O, you get all the troubles of an inboard and all the troubles of an outboard in one package.

-------------
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL

Posted By: The Dude
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:43am
Eric, you definitely want to tell him why this boat is for sale: IT'S UNDERPOWERED! Those I/O companies are famous for selling entry level boats at cheap prices by underpowering them. That boat will only pull a slalom skier out if the skier knows how to get up. If there's more than two people in the boat, it may barely do it, if at all.

I agree that it depends on what the owner wants a boat for. If he's never going to ski, then go for the glastron--it's got a pretty good record. But he should not buy it if he wants to ski. He can buy an i/o if he wants, but not one witht that small of a motor.

all that said, you also want to treat him respectfully as I'm sure you will.

-------------
Mullet Free since 93
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=717&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 95 Sport

Posted By: stang72
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 11:50am
Maybe you can appeal to the feature part about owning a real inboarrd or V drive ski boat! Much easier to drive for skiers(or tubing)....and the set up is ready to go! Power for pulling is a big plus ...and inboards are much more fun to drive! I know too many folks who wished they would have understood that there is a big diff in boats before making a purchase!

Good luck on the selling part!

-------------
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:06pm
The test ride in your boat is a great idea. That way he'll know what he is passing up.

My neice bought a new Tahoe with a Merc 4 cyl i/o last year and has decided to sell it this year. It's hardly been used and is like new, but she will probably take a beating. I wished I had talked her into spending the same amount of money on a used ski boat. She'd probably get all her money back and be able to sell it quickly.

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 1:49pm
Tell him to buy what he wants. I always tell people to buy an inboard, they always buy an IO and then put a bunch of money into fixing the outdrive on them.

Most people with inboards have them after they have sold their I/O.

Tim

ps- have your buddy investrigate the repair cost of an IO vs an Inboard too.

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: September-04-2007 at 3:06pm
Ken

You can not tell family anything, goes in one ear out the other. Maybe the test drive will convince him. I agree with the rest of these guys all depends on what he wants to do with it. I have a couple of friends that told me their I/O can run with my BFN. I just told anytime any place. The one already has his for sale after skiing behind the BFN.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: September-16-2007 at 6:08pm
Well here's an update. My bro-in-law purchased that 2001 AssTron. I on the lake with him yesterday. Holy smokes, what a piece of crap that thing is.

It's a 17'5" boat with a 3.0, Vagina Penta, 135 HP. Upon start up, the whole boat shakes like a washing machine on spin cycle...sort of sounds like one too. Took a good five minutes to idle down without stalling. We putted out a little, then he got on the throttle. It reminded me of the story of "The Little Engine that Could". After the cavitation went away, it was my turn to drive. I seriously felt like it was a little kids play boat. My knees were touching the dash. Upon stopping, I tried out the features on the dash. It had one of those new silent horns that when you press the button, you can't hear it. The radio was the same way, no sound. Hmmm, but the bilge pump was working overtime. A look under the engine cover revealed that we were taking on water fast. We did 0-40 in about 4.5 minutes back to the ramp. Upon further inspection, the rubber broke...which goes from the outdrive to the transom. Looks like the outdrive has to be removed for it to be replaced.

I feel really bad I didn't steer by bro-in-law in the right direction. I tried in so many words, but I lost the battle. In a couple of years when he goes to sell it for $2,000 or BO, I will be right there by his side.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: September-17-2007 at 12:20pm
you guys are use to running around in Rolls royces and its hard to compare a ski boat to one of these, im sure he's happy about the 20 bucks in gas though, just as long as you can put a smile on the kids faces and maybe he'll step up one day when thier older and buy a real boat

-------------

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: September-17-2007 at 1:27pm
Just went through this with a friend. He found this great deal on a I/O, he just had to have it. I gave him a few of my thoughts. He bought it anyway. We spoke a few times over the summer, and finally got together at the end of the summer. He drove and skied behind my boat and is in search of a SN...probably a sport, as he has several kids and is really not a hardcore skier. He will probably lose a few bucks on the boat, but, he learned at his pace, and will now appreciate a quality boat. That is called education....and you must pay for it! Remember Billy Joel's song "your mistakes are the only thing you can truelly call your own".

e

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-17-2007 at 3:41pm
Too bad how it turned out Ken. But he's far from the only one. My sister had a crummy underpowered i/o for years. It frustrated them, especially when their kids got older and better skiers. They went to a boat show to look for something new. I tried to talk them into a ski boat, but same old argument, too much money for a new one, didnt want used. Bought a better I/O, a celebrity Starfire with a 5.0. Thing went like crazy about 60-65, but it was still crappy out of the hole, like you said, 0-50 in about a day and half. Also, my nephew likes to wakeboard and the boat just could not hold speed or decide to plane or not at 20 mph. Overall a poor choice...but it was fast and had captains choice exhaust. They wrecked that (hit a log and tore the lower unit off) and then saw the light and got a Malibu.

I think any kind of boat is fine for the designed purpose and would never tell some one they got a crummy boat if it does what they want. But the thing is, like someone said above, they sold a million of those underpowered I/Os to people who actually hoped to do a little skiing.

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:22pm
Yes, I kept quite on this one. I'm not suggesting he buy an inboard ski boat, like a Correct Craft. He spent too much money on a 2001, which is needing some work already. He should have paid about $5,500 maybe $6,000, not $9,000. I had found a 1989 Cobalt, 20' I/O with a 5.7 engine with 500 hours for $9,900. It looked in fantastic shape. This is more of what I would have recommended. Even the 4.3, V6 isn't a bad little package. That 3.0 labors just to push that little boat, let alone trying to teach somebody to ski for the first time.

Ken

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:34pm
Our 17' Rinker with the 140HP Merc I/O was great for years of pulling the kids skiing untill they got bigger!! Yes it started having problems pulling them up as well as adult male deep water so I went shoping and ended up with the Tique. The only problem I have now is I'm still stuck with the boat after trying to sell it all summer. It's now going to get another price reduction in the spring! I wasn't to happy having to winterize it and store it again!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:49pm
Not everyone belongs in an inboard, especially first time boaters.

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:54pm
Pete, gotta buddy lookin' what do ya want for that clunker?
Do not even have to ask what shape she is in,shoot me a pic and what the winter time" Buy It Now " price.
It may be too late for him to buy now , just asking..........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 1:05pm
i was just at the Mastercrap dealer and the x80 is going for 89k, and people are lining up to buy them, its a beauty...the frickin thing has heated seats!
90% of all masters are v-drives, the midship mount is slowly fading,
I was just spying, the 2008's in the front look like a cat hull, they have 2 points, kinda slick looking
my heart still belongs to CC's

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:18pm
Doc, So, part of your buying technique is to call it a "clunker" !! Well really, I don't think it would pay to haul the clunker all the way to LA. but thanks for your concern. I started asking $4100 at the begining of summer because it has a new lower unit on it (less than 5 hours on it). That was dropped to $3800 mid summer and come spring time I think I'll start at $3500. The boat is in good shape with the normal repaired nicks in the gel coat and has about 550 hours on it. My son and daughter learned how to repair gel and buff it and the result was there weren't anymore nicks in the gel after that!! Amazing! the upholstery has one hole smaller than a dime. It also has a extended pylon for the wake boarding/skating.

The lower unit is a good story! I was home when my wife called from up north telling me she was having shifting problems. Because she didn't have a means of trailering the boat to my normal marina, she pulled it in to a "mechanic" on the lakes. He ended up replacing the helm (shift/throttle) and she used it until I got up 4 weeks later. I got in the boat only to find that the shift was so out of adjustment that it would rev up to about 2000 and then "clunk" into gear. By that time the poor shift dogs had seen the end of their life. I re adjusted and we ran it that summer until they finally went. It has always amazed me that the old crude method of clutch dogs have been used for so many years. I think Ole Evenrude invented it! From a mechanical engineering standpoint the dogs are junk. OMC's electric clutch was a step in the right direction but it hasn't gone anywhere! I think with the economy getting bad, the market for less expensive used will improve so I have my hopes up for this spring.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:33pm
Pete , My humble apologies, if I offended thee.Sometimes sarcasm does not do well on a keyboard,did not know it was a stern drive. And an OMC at that,will keep looking for a inboard for him........
Is the back yard project almost done???????

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 4:14pm
I have one of these units for parts if anyone has a need, it was a hydraulic assist shift, if your dogs are worn pete and they are the same as what i have you can have them, just let me know

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:11pm
Doc, No the boat does have a Merc I/O in it. You just missed that from a earlier post. The OMC was just a reference to a lower unit with something besides the Damn crude dogs in it.
The back yard is cleaned up but of coarse with lots of trees gone, it looks bare! I cut up all the shed into burnable size pieces for my air tight wood stove. At least I'll get some heat from it. Yesterday the check showed up from the insurance company and they covered about 90% so I was surprised and happy. Still would not want to go through it and can't imagine what the flooding was like down by you.

Eric, I ended up with a new lower unit so my dogs are fine!! Thanks

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:57pm
Pete , unless I missed something here ....
be it Merc,or OMC,almost all Mercs were clutch dog F/R. The Bravo is a cone type,as well as the newer Volvo Penta.
As far as I know all OMC products used the clutch dog setup,The powershift was a hydraulic assist set up ,but was still a sliding clutch dog. Same for the eletric shift, it just used two solenoids to move the shift rod up or down. The system had a fail safe that would lock into forward if the shift system failed or power was cut off to the l/unit....POS in my opinion..
M/Cruiser has the best c/dog set out there , followed by the Bravo......boat dr

the old r/ mr / a drives were not shabby either, just not as easy to work on as the Alpha 1, or the newer Gen. 2

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:32am
Doc, Thanks for the info on the old OMC set up in the lower unit. I thought for some reason that the electric clutch's did more than just shift the old dogs. Never had one apart but they did shift smoother that the mechanically shifted dogs. I remember at 14 when working at the marina that the first job they gave me was to replace the dogs in a old outboard. I remember the lower gear case split and the "gasket" was a piece of thread that was layed into a bead of aviation sealant. Real tricky to get the thread to stay put on the narrow flange of the split gear case.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window