Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

power

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power
    Posted: August-06-2007 at 3:29pm
i have a 71 nautique and this past weekend we finally put it to the test. loaded with 7 people and attempted to wake board...it was a dog. what can i do to improve power. i have a 351 at home...there is a 302 in it now. i'd like to have plenty of power to pull and i dont know what prop is on it...i can look and repost. all help will be grateful
EMAIL=me@myWeb.com]My Email[/EMAIL
its always fun till someone gets hurt then its hilarious
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 3:55pm
I dont know how you fit 7 people into a boat that size, Im not surprised it struggled. The 302 is a fine motor and there are many things that can be done to increase power. The first thing to do is to get the right prop on it though. Do you wakeboard exlusively?
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 8:24pm
i do mostly wakeboard....some tubing and some general lake cruising. we looked like hispanics all piled up. they all sat along the sides
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 9:07pm
The 302 is a nice engine, but with a 351 you have like +50 HP and some extra torque too.

I dont know if you can fit a 351 in that boat anyway.

What I do know, is that you can work out miracles with the right propeller.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 9:17pm
The big engines in the 71 Nautique were the 351 Holman Moody and the 350 OMC.

Do check what prop is on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 9:28pm
If you had no more then 4 people in the boat, it may have a fair amount of power and should still make a nice wake!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

If you had no more then 4 people in the boat, it may have a fair amount of power and should still make a nice wake!

I couldn't agree more. I feel it was a very unfair test to take it out for the first time, pile 7 people in it and then call it a dog. You really need to get some more time in on the boat to learn what it is capable of. The 302 really isn't a small engine given the size and weight of the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 10:31pm
On my 80 SN with 3 people sitted on front, one over the doghouse and a 200lbs fat sack between the Dhouse and the transom seat the wake gets incredible and it pulls really nice with an old 13x12 Michigan prop.

Im wondering if it's worth getting an Acme 540 or 542 and if I could add some more weight then.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 10:54am
The 302 is a short-stroke engine so likely its missing the low grunt of a 351 at boarding rpms. Plus the heavy boat and 7 fatsaks, not surprised its sluggy even if its state of tune was spot-on. The 302 shines at with more rpm.
Consider a new prop if thats whay your doing with it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 2:20pm
I have a Tique with the 302, the Acme 542 prop really improved the pull for wake boarding. However even with the stock prop my 302 would pull up a slalom skier nicely and wake boarders were up very easy. The 542 just makes speed control nicer. You may want to check the engine tune before anything.
Work to live, not live to work.

68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 3:00pm
In my 72 we ride with 7 to 9 people in the boat and it still pulls pretty good (not near as well as it pulls with 2 or 3 people but it is no where near the same wake) It has a 351 HM that is very strong! I still have the original prop on, I am thinking of getting a new prop but I am just not sure what to get? What do you guys think, I know the HM had 290hp stock and it is bored and has a different cam in it so I would say I am up in 315hp range, so what prop? We just use the boat for wakeboarding, actually now that I think of it I have had the boat for 2 years and there has never been a ski in the boat, or a tube I hate to say that because some of you guys will probably hate me now, knowing that I don't ski

B
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 3:10pm
Burdie,
If the engine is healthy and will turn up to 4500+/- with just a driver, then your current prop size is probably OK. If it doesn't reach that RPM range, then you're more than likely overpropped. Pull it and let us know. But even with the correct prop it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to pull well with 7 guys on board. If you plan to have large numbers in the boat often, then you can prop the boat to pull much, much better, BUT, and this is huge but, you will have the tradeoff of the engine having the capacity of turning way beyond its max rpm at full throttle with no load. You would have to consciencely restrain from turning the engine over 4500 rpm or else pay the penalty of a blown engine.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 6:16pm
7 and 9 people are you trying to sink the boat way overloaded. cap is aroung 850 lbs including gear. Very foolish operating your boats in that manner.

Also I questiion if it is a SN being that it only has a 302 those usually came in the smaller mustang's and tique's
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 6:31pm
Ya, I'm sure the're not all lined up sitting on the gunnell waiting to get knocked off, clunk their clooney and sink out of reach in the blackness..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Also I questiion if it is a SN being that it only has a 302 those usually came in the smaller mustang's and tique's

It's only a '71, so the 302 came in many of those boats- Gary's '72 promo has a 302 as well.
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 6:54pm
79 my boat is rated for 9 people at 150 lbs or a total weight of 1500 lbs with gear.

So I don't think it is that foolish! It still has plenty of power and can still turn on a dime.

B
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 1:19am
let me get all my info together as far as my prop etc. i do know it will turn over 4500 rpms ok wiht no problem. let me get back to the boat and i'll re-post
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic