NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time out
    Posted: July-27-2007 at 9:35pm
Mojo, I do plead that this is not all that you work on,before the stat, lets take a virtual tour of the fuel supply,hose splice, and a few other than Coast Guard Approved mods that i saw while under that hood.................boat dr

I do make house calls,Give Karen and I a weeks notice,round trip airfare and a place to lay our head.I can be bought "BUT I AIN"T CHEAP"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 8:14pm
My temp bounces up and down too... really bounces.. I'm going to replace the tstat next time up and see if it's just sticking... The impeller is brand new..

Sorry Briman for the thread jack .....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 7:48pm
The temp should only rise after wot runs once you back off the the throttle. This should only take place for a couple seconds then return to normal temp. You boay should be running about 160 when idling and crusing. Like it was said above check the condition of the impellar, if in dought chnage it out.
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 6:13pm
Does it sound like my water pump is shot or is this normal? Its a PCM 351. I didn't think 180 is bad while idling around. I'd hate to have it break down the next time out. Brian
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 5:06pm
Eddie,

You are correct. I need to replace the blower switch...there is a loose terminal. Good eye!

Walt
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:43pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]

It's not a good idea to pull from the lifting eye.

QUOTE]

Remove the back seat and panel to check the integrity of the lift eye rod/backing block/nut. If all is well, then do not worry about pulling from the lifting ring. The lifting ring is stronger against horizontal forces than the rope/tow spool CC installed from factory on later models.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Briman Briman wrote:

I am going to keep it the original brown color now. Brian

Another victory for Pete!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 2:05pm
Briman; Nice lookin' boat. Congrats. It's pretty cool to feel the power that these inboards have.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

One thing on temp jumping, may not be relevant.... when I am idling, I usually have my blower running which kicks the temp gage up, I think due to amperage change?? When I turn off blower, gage drops back. Also, could be worn or weak impellar.

Walt

Walt, sounds like you have wiring issue someplace. There is an electrical issue causing a higher load on your electical system when you put the blower on. The temp gauge should not jump up from turning the blower on like that. You might want to verify that the wiring is clean and corrosion free under the dash and at the terminal block of the engine and all connections are nice and tight.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:57pm
The boat is a 79. There's pics in an earlier post titled "thanks to all got my boat". Got it off of e-bay for only $4050. This may be my last boat as I will redo it entirely, stringers,foam,floor,interior,carpet,repaint the graphics and new stickers. Also the engine will become healthier in time. Looking for around 300 hp. It runs so good now I am not going to tear into the engine just yet. I am going to keep it the original brown color now. Brian
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:45pm
Briman,

Nice boat! What year?

One thing on temp jumping, may not be relevant.... when I am idling, I usually have my blower running which kicks the temp gage up, I think due to amperage change?? When I turn off blower, gage drops back. Also, could be worn or weak impellar. Would be a good idea to go ahead and put a new one in.

Yes, $400 sounds like alot. The cost of anti freeze, fogging oil, new oil and filter..it's best to do it yourself. That way you know it's done right.

Enjoy that thing!

Walt
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:25pm
Two questions...is it normal for my water temp to jump up from about 160 when cruising to about 180-190 when idling around. I figured it was since the water pump isn't moving as fast and I'm not forcing water into there as fast. Or does it sound like I need a new water pump? Also I asked how much to winterize my boat at the local CC dealer. He told me 400 bucks...sounds pretty steep doesn't it? I'll do it myself. Thanks, Brian
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 8:42am
Brian, first time out in mine it was the acceleration and speed onto the plane that got me. We've had a few I/o's over the years even ones with V8's in, but nothing went like the 2001 - get the hammer down hard and the secondaries working and it's warp factor!

Tubes are banned on my local lake - really!

I think the foam is dead in mine too, I planned to redo the floor over winter, but with the summer we are having (or not having) here in sunny old England I think I'd have been better doing it now and breaking out the dry suit for some frostbite riding in the winter.
Easily Parted From Money
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 7:17am
Brian, I'm surprised that the firewall on this site allowed the pictures of tubes!! Learn to ski and get some talent behind the great ski boat you now have. We expect to see some pictures soon! Glad you got it out.

It's not a good idea to pull from the lifting eye.

When you're down checking the foam, check the stringers too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:33am
We will be skiing soon. I used to do it ALOT but haven't since 1992. I'm suffering from 2 broken ribs 2 weeks ago so no skiing yet for me. My kids wanted a 2 person tube over skis (I actually called them wusses). One plus is I can get them back for all the times they lip off by cracking the whip HARD. Our whole family snow skis so water shouldn't be a problem. At 37 though my bones don't heal as fast so before summers over hopefully. The scenery next door was nice. Brian
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:18am
J-That's right!

Now my kids are the first to groan about tubers and jet skis!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:03am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Rule of the Dude's family: ski first, then you can do something else (except tubing).   

Dude,

Maybe it was you that I stole that rule from. I told my kids (5 and 2.5) that I would not blow up any tubes this year until someone skied. My two and a half year old was the first one to get up on the Ski Skimmer. After that my 5 year had to get up, so her little brother wouldn't have one up on her. They both love it. They have both also been on the knee board. The next time we're at the lake we are breaking out the trainer skis. This has been the best summer!

-JMurph
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:02am
Briman
Nice Boat.
I was hoping that was a funky blue and yellow motor box, but then I saw the next picture. My God, it's a tube! Cut that umbilacle cord and get yourself some skis.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:58am
The round thingys are fun. They will love skis though. Get them up on skis and/or a wakeboard and you'll find the round thingy back in the boathouse most of the time. Your guys look fully capable.

Great looking boat!

-JMurph
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:58am
Brian,
Glad to hear we've got another one hooked!    Nice looking ride,is it a 79?

btw,where do you live? (I see the IA tags.)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:56am
Bri, glad you're on our site and enjoying your boat...it's great!

Rule of the Dude's family: ski first, then you can do something else (except tubing). Tube is reserved for vacations only and STILL only after skiing at least one run.

As one of my 18 year old's friends said today, "knee boarding is the lowest form of water sports...tubing is below it."
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:27am
Took my boat for a ride for the 1st time today. Everything went great the boat ran excellent. I can't believe what I've been missing the boat planes so fast compared to what I'm used to. I believe my foam is getting tired though as after some cruising there was some little pieces in the bilge. I plan on restoring the boat so I guess I can't be too upset. Heres some pics from today..

Gotta love that nice wake she produces...

Yes we were hijacked by one of those round thingys....my kids had to have one, Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic