Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Martinique’s and Barefoots

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martinique’s and Barefoots
    Posted: July-21-2007 at 1:38am
Thanks for stopping by. I'm still trying to find an inexpensive boat with a decent surf wake. I've seen people state that the BF's and Martiniques have the same lower hull. Is this true? If so, what years? Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a surf wake behind an open bow Martinique? Again, thanks.
laruern View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laruern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 7:37pm
I know where you can get a Stern Craft, good sound deep hull I/O board. Engine needs rebuilding, but I think the price will be right. I've skied behind this boat and the wake is incrediable, it really cuts a ditch.
LaRue, Smith Lake, AL
old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 11:12pm
Thanks. I'm trying to stay CC, and am not fond of IO's. Skiing and wakeboarding is secondary here as I'm going for pure surf. I may have to stretch my budget for a Super Sport if necessary, but am wondering about alternatives. Martiniques, Excels, regular Airs... I know the SS will work, and the 2001 doesn't fit the bill exactly.
KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:12am
surf wake behind an open bow martinique looks like this:

a fat seat was used in place of the rear seat, about 1000 lbs maybe? not clean at all.
2005 sv211 with the left side tank full and a sac on the floor as far back as it would go:
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:17am
thats a bright move no life jacket pretty foolish especially eating all of the exhaust at that distance,

dumb ass kids without suppervision should just stay on the shore and quit making it tougher on the rest of us because you have no common sence. Forcing the politicians to make more laws for water use because the dumb ass' can't figure it out them selves and keep safty in mind.
KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:20am
yeah yeah... i did it for a picture 3 years ago.... i was not thinking... thank god i didnt fall. my jacket was being held by someone on the boat ready to go in if needed. i wont ever ride with no jacket now.

i havent surfed since that summer. its not really that fun for me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:23am
when boating safty first, there are enough idiots out there no need to be adding to it escpecially if your going to be in a CC have some pride and show some common sence while cruising a classic CC because the fuzz is going to notice you in that classic CC before he is the guy riding in the POS Bayliner.
KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:26am
Absolutely agree.

Like I said, i was young and dumb. Safety is the priority.

BTW, I am an advocate in the state of TX to make boater education mandatory for any person on any lake. It is too dangerous to not be educated on the water. I have witnessed it first hand countless times. Death included.

back on topic.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:31am
Originally posted by KyleT KyleT wrote:

Absolutely agree.

Like I said, i was young and dumb. Safety is the priority.

doesn't sound like you have grown up much in three years so I would still consider you a kid.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 10:45am
Kyle you sound like a good sport. I personally have little appreciation for that 'surfing' cause it efs up the water and shoreline for everyone else but to each his own. Looks as boring to me as a PWC. Consider learning to ski or foot or move to the coast and do it for real.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 11:00am
Kyle
You make that look easy. I've got a Barefoot Nautique and will be trying to wake surf in the next couple of weeks. We do just about anything possible behind a boat but have not tried the surf yet. I wasn't about to try it behind my 90hp outboard. I'd rather have the prop under the boat.
79, lighten up. The kid admitted his mistake.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 11:17am
I too have very little appreciation of surf waking for the same reasons as Gotta. Don't you have any consideration of other people? Go to the coast and surf and when on public lakes learn how to ski or at least wake board. I think 79 is correct that the exhaust fumes have gotten to you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:07pm
There is no info for the Martinique in '79, not sure if it even existed. However, from 1980-1984 the hulls look very similar. I can't find any 1985s to verify, but the 1986 Martinique is definitely an entirely new boat, far different from the Barefoot.

The 80-84 Martinique is 2.5" longer, and 1.5" wider while retaining the same depth/draft. Due to the size increase and luxurious interior, it is an advertised 250# heavier. I would imagine the wake would not be noticibly different between those 2 hulls.

You'll be at the bottom of the lake once your lungs fill with CO, so your friend will be throwing that life jacket to nobody. Glad to hear you've wised up.
old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:17pm
Thanks. What I get from your response Kyle is that the Martinique wake in your opinion is weak, and I think you're showing me the 211 in the second pic? Did you weight the port side at all (besides the fat seat across the entire back)? I'm in Houston btw, holler if you need a rider.

For you others, I surf the Trinity and San Jacinto rivers, not lakes, so we're not hurting other boaters and the damage to shoreline is non-existent if you look at what high water levels do, and fishermen don't like even skiers wakes so let's keep the hating to a minimum please. I wadefish saltwater and can tell you that plenty of boats pass within a couple hundred yards of me wading all the time at full throttle. What are you going to do? I just keep fishing. I worry about myself and what I do.
Also, I do go to the coast and surf (as much as one can in Texas), and wade fish the surf, do I get mad at the Gulf for making waves while I'm fishing?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I personally have little appreciation for that 'surfing' cause it efs up the water and shoreline for everyone else but to each his own.

I agree Gotta but I also think that a SAN loaded to the gills pulling wakeboarders isn't any different and there's a hell of a lot of those on the water too.

I actually enjoy wakesurfing when the Wally's and the wakeboarders have the water all f***ed up. You can 'surf in the most god awful water you can imagine. Sure beats docking it until the rest of the clowns are off the water.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:32pm
yes the wake is weak for surfing. It is big and alot of water, but there is no way to carve or do much besides stand there. I have since moved on to slalom and still riding the wakeboard.

I dont have the nuts to try barefoot yet.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 7:35pm
barefooting is great fun, but if your going to try to learn the boom is the way to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 7:53pm
Listen to the newbee footer!
Again, congrats on learning to foot. Anyone with a choice BFN like yours must know the proper way to show it off. We are hitting White Lake tomorrow for some endurance footing practice and general footin craziness. What's the chances of bringing that boat our way?
Let me know.
Sounds like you and Munday hooked up on Ford Lake. We got home from the show at 3:00 with a crew in tow. Sorry I couldn't make it out.
Kyle,
You must learn the art of footing. It's a blast. Like 87 said, find a boom and hang on.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 8:12pm
Guys, I have to say that wakesurfing is pretty fun. Once I did it for the first time, I couldn't wait to buy one, until I realized there was no way my little SN could put out a surfable wake.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:59am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

also think that a SAN loaded to the gills pulling wakeboarders isn't any different and there's a hell of a lot of those on the water too.

Don't get me started. $50k of boat, ballast, tuna tower, obnoxious speakers and no talent. Can get bigger air with a '68 Nautique and trick skis.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 9:01am

Don't get me started. $50k of boat, ballast, tuna tower, obnoxious speakers and no talent. .

And then watch them use it to do nothing but pull the GD tubes all summer!! Chew up the water and drive the boat obnoxiously so no one with talent can use the lake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don't get me started. $50k of boat, ballast, tuna tower, obnoxious speakers and no talent. .

And then watch them use it to do nothing but pull the GD tubes all summer!! Chew up the water and drive the boat obnoxiously so no one with talent can use the lake!

That's Wally World!!!! The thing that really gets me is that 90% of these boats are being driven by teenagers. Daddy buys it to keep them out of his hair and in ours.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That's Wally World!!!! The thing that really gets me is that 90% of these boats are being driven by teenagers. Daddy buys it to keep them out of his hair and in ours.

Eddie, You got it!! But I have seen daddy (or mommy) out there pulling the tubes too. I also think the 50K figure is low!! What's a fully equiped Super Air go for? 75-80K?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 7:41pm
Tullfooter
can't make it today maybe another day when I have a little more notice. Yeah Munday and Mrs. Munday came over sunday. WE had a good time, wished they could have stayed longer but they had to get back. I was waiting for the newbie remark. I said it was fun, I didn't say I was any good yet.

Matter of fact speaking of wallys driving cc's and pulling tubes. We had to ask a guy piloting a 97SN to leave the ski cove with his tubes so we try to get some footing water. He left but he looked at us like we were crazy. I never understood why people bring tubers to the smooth water then try and make waves. When they could just go where the other boats are and they would have to work so hard at making waves.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 8:17pm
What about Friday? We cancelled tonight because of the ? weather. Let me know.

What prop are you running? It sounds like you had no problems pulling footers at GL with a boatload of people.
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 10:53pm
Tullfooter,
I will check my schedule for friday and see what is going on. What time friday would we be talking about. I am running an acme prop. It was supposed to be an acme 1260. But they changed it to a 1458 I believe, I will check to make sure and get back to you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:02am
Looking at 6:00 or so.
We will either base at the White Lake Inn or BBQ at my brother-in-laws.
Let me know.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:23am
I let you tomorrow night, will depend on the work schedule for Friday. For once I don't have to work this sunday so I will be on the water all day on Sunday.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:40pm
In the early years, the Martiniques shared its hull with the Ski Nautiques (minus the tracking fins and with a plush interior). Not sure when the change in hulls occurred, but if I had to guess, it would be when the "2001" was introduced.

....just looked in the "reference" section and it looks like the hull changed in '80. No reference to the Martinique in '79 and the '78 was the Ski hull.
KyleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KyleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

In the early years, the Martiniques shared its hull with the Ski Nautiques (minus the tracking fins and with a plush interior). Not sure when the change in hulls occurred, but if I had to guess, it would be when the "2001" was introduced.

....just looked in the "reference" section and it looks like the hull changed in '80. No reference to the Martinique in '79 and the '78 was the Ski hull.

I always thought the martinique started on the american skier hull? they look soo similiar.

in the 80's didnt it share the barefoot hull and deck, untill 86 when it got the open ow deck and shared the barefoot/fish nutique,martinique hull, then it moved on to the excell hull? there are slight differences in strakes ect... but they are similiar none the less.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic