NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sandblasting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sandblasting
    Posted: April-16-2007 at 1:26pm
I know several people here have sandblasting cabinets (JoeinNY, 81Nautique) that allow them to do small parts. Does anyone have any experience blasting larger parts?

At some point in the future, Ill be looking to sandblast at least 2 trailers. Im wondering if it would be more economical to invest in the equipment and media and do it myself, or if this sort of work is best left to a professional. Im sure I could find plenty of uses for the setup in the long run, so if the cost is reasonable and the work isnt too difficult, it would be nice to have the capability to blast stuff.

Any tips would be appreciated!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 2:01pm
Tim,

No experience with a larger set up but I would bet that it would be cheaper and faster to have a pro do it.

I don't think the labor or time is that big a deal, the cost of a larger blast hopper is not bad, but you will need a pretty hefty air compressor. The cost of media might be a bit unless there's a way to capture it and reuse it like in the small cabinets. Pretty messy job too, I imagine you'd have to do it outside.

I never hesitate to buy equipment, it'll get used somewhere down the line. I'm doing some work on the motorhome and have almost talked myself into buying a welder.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 2:47pm
Alan is correct on all accounts. The size of the compressor/dryer needed for productive large scale blasting is way larger than can be justified for any other operations. I have a cheapo harbor frieght hopper and will go at it with my 6.5hp compressor setup every now and then but I can only do a small area before having to wait out the compressor. I could do a trailer in a day, but there is a guy down the street that I farm out major truckwork to, particularily anything that involves removing layers of paint and body filler.   If you do attempt don't use sand without a full body suit hooked to a hose respirator, black beauty is the best abrasive in my opinion runs about 9dollars a hundred pound bag and you can use a standard respirator and face shield. The people that do it for a living reclaim all media, using a big tarp with the sides pulled up and a good screen you can reclaim maybe 40 percent but boy is that time consuming.

I had an idea for a combination paint/sandblasting booth once i find my dream shop but it involved finding an industrial grade 25 horse turbine compressor.

As for the little bead blasting cabinets, I found they work best with fine black beauty with is about 1/10 the cost of the glass beads but it will cloud the window up pretty quick if your not careful.

I have a bunch of parts and pulleys to do over the next couple weeks so if anyone has something small they would like me to blast to help them along a cc project cover the shipping both ways and I can probably swing it for ya. .. no trailers...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 2:52pm
PS. Alan get the welder, don't go industrial or anything one of the nicer 115v units with a gas kit should do it, only problem is after a while a guy with a welder starts seeing every thing that breaks as a job for a welder. "Let me go to the store and get a drill and easy out for that broken bolt... naw just bring it over to the welder..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

if anyone has something small they would like me to blast to help them along a cc project cover the shipping both ways and I can probably swing it for ya. .. no trailers...

Damn, thought I had found an even better solution for a second there.

The CFM requirement was my biggest concern, and it sounds like I wont have a big enough compressor for the job. Considering the time involved, maybe this is a job left to a professional for the time being. I sure wouldnt mind having a booth for smaller parts though...

Ive heard having a trailer blasted should run ~$300. Sound about right?

Thanks for your input guys!
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 4:04pm
We've got a small booth at our shop, works great. I'm only 21 and we've had it for at least 10 years or so, so i cant say i really know much about wire brushing much stuff cuz when it needs to be cleaned i just tape the parts that i dont want sand to get into a few times over & have at it, just dont point the nozzle @ the tape & itll work perfect.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 5:54pm
I sandblasted my trailer last summer. I was impressed how durable all that Rustoleum was I had put on it over the years. I've got a speedblaster that holds 2 pounds of sand for small jobs, and a pressure pot for bigger stuff. You don't need an extremely big compressor if you use a pressure pot. What ever you do, don't buy one of those siphon feed things, they aren't worth a chit. I know, there's one in the attic of my garage. I blast with white sand that I get from a local tombstone maker. That sand they use to cut granite is the best. They also have a pressure pot on site that you can rent for $90 an hour, which is way bigger and faster than what I have.
Tim D
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 6:21pm
I have the same pot as Tim D it probably clogs less with the white sand than with the sl*g abrasives. I would be wary of the sand though, breathing silicone is not good.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 7:35pm
i know of two places here in northeast ohio that will blast them for 400.00...im sure it would be cheaper with cashola...looking at sand blasting my trailer 400.00 rhino lining it 220.00 new fenders 100.00 all new leds 150.00 and of course some chromes 125.00...so roughly a g and you basically got a new trailer...cheaper than 4k
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 9:53pm

PS. Alan get the welder, don't go industrial or anything one of the nicer 115v units with a gas kit should do it, only problem is after a while a guy with a welder starts seeing every thing that breaks as a job for a welder. "Let me go to the store and get a drill and easy out for that broken bolt... naw just bring it over to the welder..

You just pushed me over the edge Joe. Time to go shopping
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 6:51am
Tim, I agree that sandblasting anything big should be left for the pro. A cabinet is nice for small parts but they to really eat up the HP on the air compressor. You may want to look into the sandblaster priming the trailer too. Most will because they are basicly set up for it with the large booths. They also want paint on the freahly sandblasted work ASAP because it rusts real fast. I had a local blaster do the Tee Nee for the atom for $100. I didn't have him paint because I had allot of welding to do repairing and modifing. I did however spray the freshly blasted parts down with a rust preventing light oil.

Alan, I would go for the smallest 240 volt MIG welder if you have 240 in you work area. I know they may not be as handy to carry around and just plug in but the extra amps available is worth it. I have a Miller and yes you pay for the name but I feel the quality and reliability is worth it. Do go with the gas set up because with flux core wire you're better off just getting a stick unit!! Take a look here:

http://www.cyberweld.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 8:50am
Thanks for the info Pete, this will be at my home garage and I don't have 240v. I may have it pulled when I decide to have an electrician come and wire my basement shop up properly with lighting and outlets.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 11:09am
Benj- Invest in the pressure pot and decent size compressor- then just buy a few bags of black beauty. you'll always have a need for the equipment in the future.
Oh yeah- and invest in some sort of hooded helmet thing- abrasive gets everywhere.
agree with others- don't waste your time or money on the gravity fed hopper style blasters.
btw- I had my trailer fixed up and painted last summer for 300 bucks.granted it's nothing special, but much better than it was.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 11:23am
Alan, If you have a electric stove, pull it out when the wife isn't looking and plug it in there! You should have the electrician come for a visit as the 240 in the garage is real handy. You should ask some friends who are electricly inclinded as it isn't complicated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, If you have a electric stove, pull it out when the wife isn't looking and plug it in there! You should have the electricial come for a visit as the 240 in the garage is real handy. You should ask some friends who are electricly inclinded as it isn't complicated.

Gas stove but no biggie, got a brother in law down in Indy that is going to come up and set up the garage and basement next time he's slow on work.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 3:12pm
Hmmm... maybe a pressure pot would do the trick. Ill have to look into them more- are there specific brands I should be looking at (or avoiding)? What sizes should I be focusing on?

Thanks for the help guys.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 4:41pm
Here are 2 from Harbor freight that won't break the bank:
Harbor Freight 40 lb

Harbor Freight 110 lb

I don't remember the brand I used- it was a long time ago.
I've used gravity feed, hand held spot and pressure pot blasters. For a big job like an entire trailer, you'll want the pressure pot style.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 7:33pm
Silica dust will get you when using sand.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 8:00pm

Joe, Picked up a welder from Home depot this weekend. 115v and can add gas to it later.

Here's my first project. Used the press brake at my buddies HVAC shop and bend some 16 gauge to form a new bumper for the motorhome. Had to make a C shape, and Back panel and some brackets for mounting. Then an end cap and a door so it can be used to store an extra length of sewer hose. Never welded before but after a few tests I got the hang of it. Like you said I'm now looking for more projects.

Saweet.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 8:04pm
81nautique
Looks good. Is it stick or wire feed welder?
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

81nautique
Looks good. Is it stick or wire feed welder?

Thanks Steve, It's a wire feed made by Lincoln. On sale at Depot for $299. Can weld up to 1/4". I'm gonna have fun with this thing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 4:35pm
Congratulations Alan its always a big moment in a man's life when he gets his first welder. The bumper looks great.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 4:53pm

Congratulations Alan its always a big moment in a man's life when he gets his first welder. The bumper looks great.
-Joe.

Ha, I've had a few other firsts that top this one but it will be a fun toy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 5:41pm
Alan, You know that a welders best friend is his grinder. I end up using mine alot!! My bigest problem is seeing where I'm going with the weld. It does take practice. Looks great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 5:52pm
I will second that on the grinder, I have two decent ones (this is not the time for a harbor freight special), one has a good grinding wheel on it, the other I switch between a wire wheel and a flap disk depending on what part of the process I am on. I also wouldnt trade my auto darkening hood for anything (it is a cheepo harbor freight model) I find it much easier to start and place the weld with it than with the flip down, it is almost like cheating.
-joe
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, You know that a welders best friend is his grinder. I end up using mine alot!! My bigest problem is seeing where I'm going with the weld. It does take practice. Looks great.

Agreed, I have a nice Milwaukee 7" and a Dewalt 4.5", with an good assortment of wire wheels and discs. They make some great grinding/cutting discs for the little grinders. Between those 2 tools there's not much I can't tackle. I have a couple nice 9"double sided wool buffing pads for the Milwaukee to keep the 81 looking good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic