Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting over gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting over gelcoat
    Posted: April-14-2007 at 11:41am
I have an '81 nautique that is for the most part in perfect condition. The only thing that has started happening is the black paint on the graphics has started wearing off and the white gelcoat is showing through. Any time that I wax the boat or rub these areas agressively, a little bit the black paint comes off. I think that the previous owner had painted these areas. Although I would like to be as agressive as SkiBum in his post, I don't think that a complete overhaul of the gelcoat is necessary for my boat. The rest of the gelcoat is in perfect condition - not spyder cracking or anything. What is the best way to fix this paint? As I am not very skilled in the paint department, are there any suggestions where I should take it, the type of paint that should be used, what I should be spending? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 5:07pm
So in 81 they were still painting? I thought that in the late 70's they started doing the graphics in vinyl.

Well, Chata9, you may want to consider having them reproduced in vinyl. I feel it would be allot easier that masking and painting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So in 81 they were still painting? I thought that in the late 70's they started doing the graphics in vinyl.

Yup- CC painted the graphics on the Ski Nautiques until '85.

Alan (81Nautique) went through all the trouble of creating the vinyl paint mask for the 80-81 boats. Its shared on the reference section of this site. He shared some tips for the method he used to paint his stripes- do a search and it should come up.
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 1:22pm
It sounds like having the graphics reproduced in vinyl would be the way to go. Any suggestions on a place to have this done here in southern california? I will try to find Alan's post and see if that helps out. Thanks guys!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 3:28pm
Tim, Thanks for clearing the year up for me.

Chata9, Alan had the reverse made in a vinyl stencil so he could use it to paint the graphics. Look for sign shops that will make the vinyl from a tracing. They can make it ether way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 5:32pm
Did I just read Pete telling someone with painted graphics that it would be ok to have them redone in vinyl 4 posts above this, one successful gauge upgrade and now he is out of control, next thing you know he will be cruising planet nautique for ideas on where to put his neons..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, Thanks for clearing the year up for me.

Chata9, Alan had the reverse made in a vinyl stencil so he could use it to paint the graphics. Look for sign shops that will make the vinyl from a tracing. They can make it ether way.

You can use the same graphic for paint stencil or actual vinyl graphics, you just weed the material out to create which one you want to use. email the graphic file to any sign shop and they can make what you need.

IMHO, vinyl is not the way to go with the grahics on an 80-81, paint will be easier. If you do vinyl have a pro put them on.
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 11:26pm
Thanks for the help guys, I will have to find a local sign shop and see what they can do. Any guess as to what this should cost?... just don't want to get taken by someone looking to make a few extra bucks off me. Thanks again for the help.... the boat already looks great, just trying to fix those small imperfections.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 12:10am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Did I just read Pete telling someone with painted graphics that it would be ok to have them redone in vinyl 4 posts above this, one successful gauge upgrade and now he is out of control, next thing you know he will be cruising planet nautique for ideas on where to put his neons..

That's funny!! Pete Go'n "Bling"!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 4:56am
Ok guys!! You know it did cross my mind that someone would comment on my non original recomendation. I'm actually surprised no one has said anything about my 77 having vinyl reproductions on it. I do have a excuse for that as it was the previous owner who put the vinyl on and when I re-gelled the transom I did the same so I didn't have to do the whole boat in paint. No I'm certainly not ready for neon yet so you don't have to worry. I will paint the graphics when I need to 20 years from now!

I was just over to my sign shop last week for some paint stencils. I use the technique for the "Correct Craft" script on my Atom. I repainted the hull sides last spring and used the last set I had. The "mask" is a different material with less aggresive adhesive on it but the equipment is the same. Sign painters are a rare breed nowadays! My sign guy hasn't had his brushes out for 10 years. I told him to get ready since I'm taking my Dunphy down to bare wood and it will need the boat name painted on the transom. Yes, I have seen it done in vinyl on a wood boat. I woudn't even talk to the owner who did it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic