NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Correct Craft Trailer - Guide-Ons

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeHoliday View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 Correct Craft Trailer - Guide-Ons
    Posted: March-26-2007 at 3:18pm
Hello. My trailer is in desperate need (well, maybe I'm the one who needs them and not the trailer) of a set of Guide-Ons to help guide my '67 Mustang properly. I had a heck of a time last night trying to get her up on the trailer (those little 12" wheels disappear in the water and I can't see enough of the trailer to line it up). I don't want to hit the fenders if you know what I mean. The trailer has been repainted all black with white wheels. I'm sure Guide-Ons didn't come on it originally, but I'd rather not damage the '67 Mustang than keep the originality of the trailer.

So... what would you all suggest?

Thanks,
Brice
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 4:25pm
I dont know of anywhere that sells them but I think you could get some made fairly cheap. Just have a welder get some tubing(I would look for Stainless Steel), bent it, weld it to a peice of strap and bolt it to the trailer.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 4:35pm
Brice, not trying to be Mr.Know It All,but sounds if you have the trailer backed in too far.Rule of thumb on my '64 is fender tops showing.Give her a little gas to push her to the bow stop, sounds too easy,just try.............boat dr
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 4:53pm
Brice

West Marine sells side guides for boat trailers. They are nothing that CC ever used.

They could help. Chech their web: www.westmarine.com or www.overtons.com
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 5:03pm
Thanks, I'll try that again. I know I first tried it with the fenders showing... but couldn't get her far enough forward.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 5:23pm
Brice, 12" wheels? Seriously, CC guide ons are 1 1/4" scd. 40 pipe. A electriction with a bender for "heavy wall" can bend them and then the plate for bolting to the trailer needs to be welded on.

The Doc is probably correct that you were in the water too deep. Does the trailer have a winch? Also just like anything else, practice will makes things allot easier! Was anyone at the ramp watching? There have been some real good threads on things at the boat ramps. Do a search.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 5:36pm
2. of my cc trailers have 12inch wheels

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:00pm
Pete, yes... 12" wheels and no winch. That would make it too easy. It's much more fun when you can't see the trailer, every time you try to get up on it... the boat torques to the starboard, and you can't turn in reverse. hehe Yea, I made a bit of a fool out of myself at the ramp. Yes, I had two people helping me and at least three watching from the other ramp as they were unloading a huge bass boat with a 250 HP outboard into the water. My Mustang looked and sounded better though even if it took me a while to get her back out of the water.

Thanks for the info on the guides. Did a 1967 CC trailer ever have them from the factory? If so, besides what pipe to use... what are the lengths before and after the bend? Does anyone have any photos of original CC (1967 vintage) guides?

Thanks again,
Brice
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:03pm
I back my trailer in the water just enough so the top of the fenders are out of the water. When backing your boat, you must bump it forward (with the rudder turned all the way) once in a while to correct your direction.

1966 Mustang
1973 Correct Craft Trailer
Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:59pm
The guides are a big help(like pictured on Tims trailer)....it does sound like the trailer is not at the right depth when you are loading...but it will depend on how steep each ramp is.

Usually...with the CC trailers, you go in slow and power it right to the bow stop....rear guides will certainly help reference how you are comming in.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:35pm
My ramp is kind of shallow . I usualy kneel in the middle of the boat with my behind half off the drivers seat so that I have even weight distribution . Then I will aproach slowly and give gradual throttle and turn my steering back and forth to wiggle the boat up the trailer .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 11:46pm
Pat....I do the same in regards to kneeling in the middle!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 4:34am
Brice, I don't know if the 67's had guide ons but don't think it would be a problem putting them on even from my purest point of view! You will need to measure the width of the trailer and the beam of the boat at the widest point (somewhere in the middle) then accounting for the O.D. of the pipe (1 1/4" scd. 40 pipe is 1.66" O.D.) and any covering over it, figure out the dimension to the first bend. The height, you can scale from photos or I can measure mine. Keep in mind that the guide ons will not center the stern of the boat to the trailer exactly since they are wider than the boat. They are primarily used to sort of get the boat lined up with the trailer as you are pulling onto it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:52am
What's the point in power unloading? Why don't you just dunk the trailer in a little extra and let her float off?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:37pm
HW.Some ramps you may not be able to go back any farther because the concrete ends and the big 5 foot hole begins , from those of us that dont have winches or that like to power on .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 7:47am
These are available via mail order or locally in Milwaukee. They are different than the type shown above on the Mustang.

http://www.greatlakesskipper.com/productdetail.cfm?CatID=20&SubCatID=140&ProductID=1208
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What's the point in power unloading? Why don't you just dunk the trailer in a little extra and let her float off?

I've done that in the past but if I back in too far the boat floats too high and the guide posts end up below my rub rail and can leave a nice black streak down the side of the boat if it drifts to the side. We launch on a river 90% of the time and the current will do this to me every time. I power unload with the trailer a littlle shallower than normal so mother nature doesn't take advantage of me. I guess in nice calm water that would work fine.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 9:16am
RainDog, thanks for the link to the roller guides. I like the way they bolt on and looks like they would probably do the trick.

One thing I did notice is I'm currently using a bumper mounted ball on my Explorer. I need to get a drop hitch so I can lower the front a bit. Here's a photo of our ramps (with me in the Mustang unloading) so you all can see what I'm dealing with.

That's with the fenders just above the water. When loading, there is no way I can get the Mustang that far forward or anywhere near that without having the trailer further in the water. Actually, I wasn't even able to get her off the trailer at this point. It seems the ramp isn't very steep and I have to be backed in pretty far (putting the fenders underwater) to get her off the trailer in the first place.

I'll try again this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for all the tips.

- Brice
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 9:25am
Alan,

If you have the PVC sleeves over your guide posts slide the PVC up a little bit to extend the height of the guide posts, have the same problem with my trailer and found this solves that problem.

Power loading is also a problem for my boat because of the colored hull, it has left some marks from sliding on the carpeting so now I just float on/off.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 10:04am
Overtons also has several options for guides. I tried to put in the link but it didn't work. Go to Overtons.com and on the left column there is a link to "trailering"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:02pm
Brice, in that photo above, you're not deep enough to safely get the boat off the trailer. If you are powering off that high out of the water, you're risking picking up a rock or something and messing up your prop, and a lot of silt for the RWP. I have no trouble getting mine on the trailer with the fenders just sticking out of the water, but to unload, I go a little deeper.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeHoliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:13pm
Tim, I did not power off that high in the water. I had to back in until the trailer was almost completely submerged (fenders were quite a ways underwater) until it floated off the trailer. Getting it back on the trailer is where I had problems as I had to get the trailer in pretty deep as well otherwise I could only get it up to where the front of the engine was barely over the wheels... not centered. With the fenders just barely showing, I can only get it to within about 3 feet of the bow stop when loading. I think lowering the front of the trailer will help significantly.

Thanks,
Brice
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 1:17pm
Another thing about loading an inboard, if the trailer is not sitting level, like one tire on sand, and not enough of the boat resting on the runners, and you pull it out, it will drift to the low side.
Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2007 at 2:31am
Brice- Did you ever get this straightened out? I have a '68 correct craft trailer with all the guides on it.Look at my pictures.If you want I could measure them for you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2007 at 1:29pm
I just float mine off and on. One of my guide posts is broken off, but I have the wife sit in the back of the boat and just hold the one post to keep the boat centered hook up the bow strap and tow the boat out. Once the boat and trailer meet it comes right out perfectly every time.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic