NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 Floor Repair (I need help)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:01pm
The 3rd picture indicates that there will be significant rot in the secondary stringers in that area. The foam looks good on top but gravity pulls the water to the bottom. The cracked floor means the PO did not build a strong enough floor. That breach allows water to flow into the floor. Now you have work to do.

Your idea of using plywood as a floor is fine. You will add weight. If you are not a slalom skier - no big deal. Just be sure to seal both the top and bottom of the floor pieces with epoxy before bonding them to the stringers.

I would recommend removal of the foam. At least exploratory. Take out a big chunk down to the hull. If it splashes your face - its wet. From the dash to the stern the 80lb kit of foam will do the job.

Dont worry about the muffler. Clean it up and use several layers of epoxy and glass as a patch.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 6:56pm
based on some of the other posts about stringers is in that area they just glassed over the foam and in your case the PO must have used very little over the foam. Does the foam seem wet? Might be able to pull the carpet grind down some of the fiberglass and build it up from there.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 6:17pm
Today I got my 82 2001 out to be reminded of the soft spot in the floor that I knew was there when I put it away for the winter.

When I bought the boat the guy told me the floors and stringers were redone in 99. It is looking to me like when they did the floors (from the start of the engine cover) back they just laid fiberglass on top of the foam. It has now cracked and is bouncy on the passengers side from the font of the motor to the back of the motor.

And as a bounus one of the mufflers was cracked

The good news is that it appears to my rookie eyes that the primary stringers look fine. I have not dug very far but also the foam seems dry and in good shape.

What should I do next.

My idea is to tear all of the floor up that does not have wood under it and replace it with marine plywood.

Help me before I screw something up.

Thanks in advance

Jon
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic