NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stringer rot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique 88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stringer rot
    Posted: March-12-2007 at 3:00pm
i dont think my boat has any stringer rot but how do you tell if it does. i want to check and find out early so if i do have some rot it dosent turn into a big problem later.
thanks,
mikey
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 3:15pm
Mikey, Do a "quick search" above and you will have lots to read!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 6:36pm
Probably save you some time. Is it a twenty year old boat? Were the stringers ever replaced before? If you answered yes to the first question and no to the second question, then the answer to your question about whether or not you have stringer rot is yes, you do.

Look along the base of the stringers for any cracking. This indicates that rotten stringers are separating from the hull. Look for obvious weak or soft spots that are damp. The wood behind these spots will crumble when touched. Use the base of a screwdriver and systematically tap on the stringers. Listen for a change in the sound. When you find an area like that poke the tip of an ice pick into that area. If it goes in easily, the wood is rotten. Tighten any bolts that go into the stringers. If they just turn and turn without getting any tighter, the wood is rotten.

You may even try some exploratory surgery. Cut away a small patch of glass from a suspect area. You'll see what is back there. That can be patched.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:16am
I wish I would have found this site before I purchased my 77. I had no idea how to test the stringers. I still got the boat at a great price, but this winter I decided to tear into it. Ski Bum is right, if its old its rotten. When my restore project is complete I will post pics. The best wood in the boat looked like a wet cigar. Every place we test drilled the stringers they were hollow. Good Luck with your project.
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:22am
Duck, Did you just get this 77? You sign your posts as being a CC owner for 13 years.

I love your analogy of rotted wood to a "wet Cigar". We'll have to start using it here on the site!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:44am
Hey, thats a billy Clinton phrase....
"the things you own will start to own you"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:20pm
I don't think we should go dragging slick willy into are analogies.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2007 at 7:42pm
NAFTA screwed enough people out of their jobs, almost wiped out my home town.
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 7:56pm
Brainard;
I was a Correct Craft Promo Team Member from 1993 to 2002. Got out, later sold my 02. My neighbor, who drug me around the lake everyday all summer when I was a kid had a 77 Ski Tique.
My kids wanted me to get another boat, so I decided to look for an old one. The price was right, it ran perfect last summer. Then the rebuild. WOW! It is worth it though. Getting down to the final touches. Can't wait. Will post pics when done.
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic