NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pics of our ’70 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
'70 Mustang View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pics of our ’70 Mustang
    Posted: March-09-2007 at 4:50am
I hope this works. If so, enjoy & let me know what you think...........If not, I'll draw you some pictures! :0)

Jim & Shan ~

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/vititows/DSC03610.jpg
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 4:53am
I noticed the engine pic did not load. I'll try this again.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 4:57am
Maybe this time....

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:13am
'70 Nice boat. I'm also new to the site and the CC family. Didn't know what a Mustang (boat) looked like.
Also, nice shed for the boat.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:40am
Nice looking Mustang. Did you just get it or have you had it awhile?
Greg

86 BFN
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:45am
Jim,
Congratulations, looks like a lot of hours of fun. Have you had it out yet?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:28am
Good looking boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:50am
Wow! Nice boat! That Gel looks like its in great shape, Congrats and Welcome!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:58am
Great job. Is that new paint? Scott
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:20am
Let's try to address some of the questions:
She has been repainted about 5 years ago (per seller). It is a very high end paint job that has setled well onto this boat. I have started her but have not had her on the water as of yet. I live about 5 minutes from the launch ramp so we're planning on getting her wet soon! I have only owned her for less than a month.

There is some cracking of the paint (can't tell if it is the gelcoat or not due to the amount of paint that was used) around the windshield. The paint work was done before the hull was seperated and new stringers installed. If they were bad or weak that would explian the slight cracking. The cover is on so I'll post a pic soon so you can decide for yourself.

As for the parking arrangement (shed). My 28 year old younger sister says "Thanks!"; it's her 5 car garage.....no mine.

We'll holler at you folks later....I gotta get to work. See you tonight.

Jim & Shan ~
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:34am
Well I'm a little concerned about the blocks of wood under the motor mounts did they do that in the 70's boats?
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:47am
My '78 has wooden wedges under the motor mounts, but i don't think ive ever seen just wooden blocks like that.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:49am
I couldn't say myself. The newer stuff we sold back in the 90's seemed to be bolted right to the stringers....If I'm not mistaken.

I'm not relly sure why this guy did this like this as all of the stringers are visually new and have crystal clear glass laid over the planks.

I would appreciate any light that might be able to be shed and whether or not this is some kind of a potential problem. Judging the condition I would have to assume these blocks are installed for a reason???? Any ideas????

Jim ~
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:51am
Nice looking boat, sure looks like alot of fun.

That raw water pump on the OMC is a real piece of work. They look like something from a washing machine I had one on my OMC cuddy and replaced it with a crack shaft driven pump.

What engine is that? My 250 OMC is a 350 chevy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 12:34pm
My guess on the blocks is to change the angle on the engine to line up right with the hull fitting and strut of the prop shaft.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:35pm
Beautiful boat, I have never seen an engine mounted quite like that but I havent seen a chevy in a mustang that early before either. I would make sure the blocks were mounted solidly and then I would enjoy the heck out of the old girl, my guess is she will really move. Thanks for the pics,
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 1:39pm
Congratulations, nice boat, and welcome. I think Chris's diagnosis of the wooden blocks is correct. I have the same OMC engine in the Tique and that has the same blocks.

Matt, yes the water pump is a bit of a collectors item. Had trouble finding an impeller for it until I saw a picture of a Mustang at White Lake Marine with the same one. I called them, asked them to go look at it and then send me the impeller. They did...just that simple.

Also, Matt, as mine is also the 230 I'll stick my neck out and say its the same motor, a Chevy 305.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:06pm
My Tique 305 Merc was blocked the same way.. I think that's why the dog houses on the Tiques look so tall.. I think it's to clear the higher front end of the motor?????

Moj'

May I add this is a great looking rig 70'.. Hope you have a blast in it...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:15pm
Iv'e seen alot of boats with blocks under the mounts. My guess would be, that there is no adjustment with that type of motor mount, and they needed the motor to be mounted a little bit higher than the stringers would allow. As long as it is a good hard wood that was pre drilled, I don't see a problem with it. Having said that..I would rather have motor mounts that had adjustments built into them.
Jim, by the way. I have nothing against paint over gel, as long as it's done right.As far as that paint cracking around the windsheild. It was probably caused from not removing it when they painted. They probably just masked it to save time. Your boat looks great..congratulations.
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:37pm
Thanks for all of the compliments guys!!! Shannon and I are relly stoked about this little hot rod. She has a 230 OMC (I believe to be original per the guy I got her from). It is a Chevy 305 that has about 10 hours on a complete tear down and rebuild. She will run around 60+ MPH and, as you can imagine, starts to get a little loose!

I spoke wiht the cat I bought her from and this is the correct engine mount; using the blocks. They have been in the boat like this since day one per him. They were just updated when the hull was seperrated for the restoration. He said he's never had a problem with this set up.

Anyhow, we'll be in touch and I appreciate all the comliments about our new little boat. I'm going to get some video of her on the lake and I'll try to gigure out how to post that as well. Adios in the mean time.......

Jim & Shan ~
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by '70 Mustang '70 Mustang wrote:

It is a Chevy 305 that has about 10 hours on a complete tear down and rebuild. She will run around 60+ MPH and, as you can imagine, starts to get a little loose!
~

little optimistic with that there speed....50 lower 50's if they steped up the cam some when they re-built the motor. just don't get a GPS out and compare it because it will bring you back to reality pretty quick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 3:12pm
Chris, right on, The 78 Tigue I had with the bottom waxed with a 302 220HP Ford would bury the 50 MPH Airguide, probably lower 50's, No GPS back then, a blast to drive, With people in the back it would start to bounce. If anybody asked, I always said it ran well into the 50's
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 4:57pm
Call it what you will. All I know is my brother-in-law has had it out once before I arrived and he ran it right next to his Crownline. His crownline pegs out at just about 60 MPH and with his brother driving his and him in mine they both said that my boat was pulling on his Crownline ever so slightly.

Why exagerate? What is there to gain? I'm just stating what I was told by the owner before me and what was confirmed by my brother-in-law. Are we racing direct-drive ski boats these days? What am I missing?

I'll give you a first hand account once I drive it myself. In the mean time....I'll take a look over in the mechanic section of this forum to see what I can do to really race this thing out seeing how I purchased it as a retired drag boat. :0)

Jim ~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:18pm
70, Don't take offense to us. If you read through the posts in this forum you will find out that there is tons of CC knowledge here. I have owned a CC since 1978 and these guys are teaching me things everytime I read a post. So enjoy the boat and welcome to this great site.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:37pm
No offense taken what so ever. I find doubt amusing in the face of so many options such as engine modifications, prop pitch, and water conditions. My family has been in the boat business since the late 50's and this is far from my first rodeo as well. I don't claim to be a expert as my posts would decree.

You guys be good and I'll update you once she's been in the water and I've ran her for myself as well as any new pics that have been taken.

I f any of you want to see a pic of anything specific just let me know. She is about 20' from my laptop & camera.

I would note on the topic of speed that they said she was slo coming out of the hole but was reving at full boar. This would lead me to believe that there is a "top-speed" pitched prop vs. a hole shot prop. Our family friends own B&B prop shop and I'm going to have them look at the prop to see what the pitch is.

Over & out..........

Jim ~
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:51pm
Jim, ReidP is our resident expert on making the early CC's fast. His '69 Mustang (which you can see here) is pretty quick (56 on GPS). He gave us a rundown on everything he's done in this thread, about half way down. It is simply rather unlikely that your motor has been tuned to this degree. Most marine speedometers are pretty inaccurate even when adjusted properly, especially at the upper end of the spectrum.

Nice looking boat though!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 7:57pm
70, Great looking boat. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

Yes there are people who for some reason exaggerate about the speeds of their boats. We do not want to offend you in any way but do GPS it's speed and don't be disappointed. Since you have been around the boats, then you know that boat speedos are not the greatest.

Talk to your friend with the prop shop and look at some of the threads on props. Quite alot of interesting info. By the way, a "top speed" prop will have a greater pitch and not allow the engine to rev like a lower pitch "hole shot". Keep a eye on the tach and it's always a good idea to put the shop tach on it to make sure the boat's is correct.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by '70 Mustang '70 Mustang wrote:

Call it what you will. All I know is my brother-in-law has had it out once before I arrived and he ran it right next to his Crownline. His crownline pegs out at just about 60 MPH and with his brother driving his and him in mine they both said that my boat was pulling on his Crownline ever so slightly.

Jim ~

I did that with my buddy's Ranger BASS boat and he had me at 68 mph after we installed the performance motor in mine, then I ran it using a GPS 52 MPH, So if you wanna call it 60 mph that's fine

but don't be pissed when Reid and I come blowing past you pulling away in our boats if we are ever on the same lake at the same time.

smoked more than one I/O that thought they had a 60 mph boat.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '70 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 8:46pm
Sounds great, we'll call it 49 MPH just to satisfy the 2 I/O racers out there. :0)
Again, "I" am not swearing in on any such speeds. Only what I was told. Now, when I run it with my GPS and the story is acurate and I back it up with video feel free to come on over to Texas and lets belly up with some hard cash and cut out the BS.

Intil then, if it is the case, I'll just kick back and keep quiet. I had no idea that this was going to pucker so many butts by claiming what the original owner (& engine builder by the way) and my brother-in-law told me. Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers with my claims of 60+ MPH speeds. Again.....ALL
SIMPLY HERE-SAY! Right?

After all, if I was in this for the speed I would have been glad to head over to the "Fountain" website and chat about my numerous other toys. Instead this forum seemed in line with my aquisition of this old Mustang. Oh' well, my bad.

This concludes my posts going forward....

Jim, out ~

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2007 at 9:17pm
Jim don't be mad your not the first one to make that claim. I've done the same and had to eat a little crow so to say. It really boils down to the hull design more than anything else that is the limiting factor.

What kind of RPM's are you getting out of it? several on this site have done quit abit of mods to there motors and turn well over 5000 rpm's a stock motor will run in the mid to lower 4000 rpm range.

Bill's is the fast around 72 but he has modified the bottom of the hull and uses nitros too to get it there and that's using a radar gun no BS on that. But his motor is just sick and has a ton of go fast goodies onboard lots off $$$ in that thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic