Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gunnel pads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kdeichmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdeichmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gunnel pads
    Posted: February-22-2007 at 12:56pm
I have a 1979 ski nautique that we are currently redoing the inerior. I have noticed that only one of the boats has the pads still on the gunnel. I like the clean look with it gone but what are your thoughts on this and how do you remove it with the throttle in place or do you remove it, and will it fit flush after.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 1:07pm
You have to remove the throttle plate. Little hard to get back there but it unscrews. Try not to turn the threaded bra$$ pins that attache to the throttle levers when you remove them or you'll mess up the throttle/shifter adjustment.   

If you put new foam on I suggest going only 1/2 " thick, I used 3/4 " and it makes it a little tough to reattach the throttle and my throttle lever binds slightly.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 1:08pm
your talking about the combing pads that are mounted vertically right?

If you remove them you will have some holes to patch, the morse control isn't an issue but the holes are.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 3:01pm
In addition to the holes, on mine, when the combing pads were removed, there was a lot of staining on the gel that would need to be wetsanded or buffed out. Also, the botto of the gunnel is not finished out very nicely. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:09pm
why would you want to remove the pads?
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:56pm
Yeah the edge on most fibergla$$ products isnt normally finished very nicely, but when we restored my 78 we found some nice "U" shaped edging that you just use a rubber headed mallet & lightly tap it on around the entire inside; comes in quite a few colors if i remember correctly...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

...when we restored my 78 we found some nice "U" shaped edging that you just use a rubber headed mallet & lightly tap it on around the entire inside; comes in quite a few colors if i remember correctly...
Nate

I have found some at West Marine but it is pricey. I stumbled onto some at the local boat store and it was much less expensive. Looked at hardware stores but never found it. Maybe upholstery shops. It is a good way to cover up that rough edge though.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:23pm
from the factory they used an aluminum or chrome 1/4-3/8" wide trim piece that was rivited all around the bottom edge. Mine didn't come with the pads guess it was an option, but mine has this trim piece. Might give one of the regional CC shops a call and see if they still have some.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:39pm
Yeah mine came with the aluminum riveted to it too. But I believe that we got our trim from Taco Marine.

http://www.tacomarine.com/cat--Flexible-Vinyl-Trim--cat_flexible_vinyl_trim.html
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:42pm
...Just looked through the site a little more, & it looks like they might even have the aluminum trim like would have originally came with it if you'd want to go that route.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 10:15am
nate I got some simular stuff from j.c.whitney that had a chrome detail to it that I used for the base of my motorbox.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 9:02pm
79nautique,do you recall what that trim was called?I just looked online at JcWhitney but couldn't find it. Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic