NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fish nautique bulkhead repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
michigan dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fish nautique bulkhead repair
    Posted: February-17-2007 at 9:21pm
I have been working off and on between marathon overtime stints at work this winter on my 23 foot Correct Craft "Fish Nautique". I wasn't even going to post pics but decided too after all.   As you can tell I am not a perfectionist. My work is solid as a rock but kind of sloppy. I will re-do the wiring next. My uncle in re-building the trans. and then the motor can be re-installed.

I bought this boat on e-bay early last fall. Used it a few times and then pulled the engine and started in on replacing the bulkheads that surround the engine compartment. These rot out on most all the older fish nautiques. I asked the P.O. if they were solid and he a$$ured me they were. After a long trip to the east coast I found they were skim coated and painted over. I took the boat anyway and decided to fix it. Well now there 1/2 inch marine ply resin coated both sides and covered with 3 layers of heavy cloth and resin. The cross members are 1.5 inch laminated marine ply tabbed in both sides with 3 layers of cloth. The floor is now supported like a rock. I painted the bilge with "bilge coat" enamel and re-sealed the thru hulls. Don't ding me too hard for the sloppy work,

Engine coming out.

mess of rotten wood and extra wires

example of the rotten wood I removed from the bilge area.

After the side and front bulkheads were replaced.

Cross members replaced and bilge getting ready to paint.

painted bilge, first coat

here is a pic of her last fall on one of our fishing adventures. The boat really runs out well and is fun to drive

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
351ci- 14x13 four blade acme
south haven mi.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:56am
A safe boat is better than a pretty one...
"the things you own will start to own you"
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:12am
Dave, great job! Who looks in the bilge anyway? (except maybe one of us)
                                 Farmer
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:21am
Looks a lot better than most fish boat bilges! BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:28am
Thanks guys, it will look some better after I sort out the wireing and dress it up a little.

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:25pm
while your doing the motor just be sure and step up the cam a little and maybe get some gt40p heads and AL intake like we just installed on jbears
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

while your doing the motor just be sure and step up the cam a little and maybe get some gt40p heads and AL intake like we just installed on jbears

Remember this is a fishing boat, a steped up cam can kill the idle for trolling. The motor has about 80 hours on a jasper reman. I probably wont touch the engine other than possibly a set of cool valve covers and maybe a alum. intake.

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:54pm
hell just get one of those kicker motors the sail boat's use. You should be good to go, the AL intake will help a little but I would spend the money on an electronic ignition first if you haven't all ready replaced the points.
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 3:19pm
Dave, good looking job, you are under estimating the quality of your work. Keep us up to date with your progress.
Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 2:42pm
Well I have spent a little more time in the bilge, its wired and plumbed for water and fuel. I have a Macerator coming in to drain the fish box. I went ahead and plumbed lake water to the fish box VIA the washdown pump and valve.. I am still waiting on my Velvet drive to get back from my uncle. All the underwater gear is grounded and bonded, and resealed. All the pumps, blower, lights, and other electrical goodies are working well. I have all new rod holders, cleats, to install.

This boat may be for sale in the spring if anybody is interested.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

Dave, great job! Who looks in the bilge anyway? (except maybe one of us)
                                 Farmer

Very good work Dave.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 9:54pm
Nearly finished with the Fish Nautique, buffed the hull liner, re-did some of the teak, installed a front bench seat. (removable) Go up north to pick up my trans. tomorrow. Hope to re-install the engine next week.

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2007 at 10:40pm
That bow section looks like new. Neat boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 7:59pm
great work.

However I suggest you install fresh exhaust hose and premium clamps. Now is the time, and it keeps the boat afloat.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 2:07pm
Dave, any chance you'd part with the top before selling the whole boat? My t-top just isn't optimal for me and I'm longing for one of those factory towers...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by redneck7 redneck7 wrote:

Dave, any chance you'd part with the top before selling the whole boat? My t-top just isn't optimal for me and I'm longing for one of those factory towers...

I wish you would have said something sooner. I might have sold the tower to you. I have someone interested at this point and I believe he wants the tower. Have you got your new engine dialed in??? I bet it runs out great now.   dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 10:24pm
Pretty much dialed in...prop specs out at 13.30in dia with 12in of pitch and a ton of cup and I run 4600RPM at 39.99999999mph.

Could probably take some cup out and see 4800 and maybe 42mph, but for now I'm calling it good.

Prop guy wants to step it up to a 15in diameter prop and just trim the tips down if it doesn't clear sufficiently so I'll at least have the blade area of a 15in prop and stick with the 12in pitch with maybe less cup or none at all.

I say 40mph and right in the sweet spot of wot RPMs is fine by me when a new prop is $440.

Let me know if something changes about the tower...you're welcome to my t-top in partial trade...it's the factory issue t-top.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 7:34am
most acme props run about $325 new and dwarf the federal and oj props in surface area by comparision. Much more surface area on the Acme's and your not that far off from an ACME 540's specs.
snapperscrapper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapperscrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:48am
I have a fish, and was considering trim tabs. I was looking at your pics. and wanted to know if you would recomend them. also looks like you did a great job on the repair.
snapperscrapper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:10am
EVERY boat of this size benifits from trim tabs, especially a inboard. Better fuel econ. plains off at lower speed. Compensates for uneven loads (our 300 lb fishing buddys) ect.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:21pm
Hey Dave...how is your fish box hinged? My fish is the only one I've been on, but I have two exposed hinges that I hate...yours doesn't appear to have them unless those things forward of it somehow hinge it.

GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 1:52pm
Ryan, On my '89 'Fish' the hatches for my fish box and live well both have hinges, very simular to your setup. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 2:58pm
Thank ya sir...I guess that means Dave's FN is either different or I'm not seeing the picture correctly. I just don't like to wear shoes, but in rough seas my toes tend to find those hinges like they were 2' wide instead of 2".
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 6:59pm
My front fishbox does not have hinges. My livewell does. I wont ever use the front box as a fishbox though because it drains right into the bilge. Yuc. Besides the size of fish I catch they would get lost up there. heheh. I set up my livewell with plumbed lakewater, and and macerator drain. Its 30 gallon size. That will hold all the fish I ever catch in one day.

The hinge plates you see in front of the fishbox cover must have been for when the upper station was piveted forward and was a anchor point for it. I will be pulling those off soon as there a toe stubber.

Hay Redneck, where did you get those cool chrome air scoops. Those look great.

dave
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 7:12pm
Dave, the chrome scoops came with it...I wish they were a bit lower profile, but I reckon that would probably diminish their performance a bit...and they do perform an important job.

As for your plumbing of the livewell...how'd you go about doing it? Mine has one drain that does nothing (so probably a previous intake rather than drain) and the other one drains slowly and into the bilge...also, any ideas on how I could replumb the fish box to drain to a macerator/pump and then through a thru-hull above the waterline? I want to do both of those things, but don't know how to access the bilge forward of that bulkhead in front of the engine.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 7:53pm
In my 84 model there were 2 black hoses that came out into the bilge from the front engine bulkhead. These 2 black hoses are connected to the 2 drains in the livewell. (30 gallon unit in front of console) I connected these 2 hoses with a Y fitting and then ran a third hose back up to a macerator pump mounted beside my battery boxes. These macerator pumps are self priming. from there it goes to the transom and out. You can also run these two black hoses into a "sump pump box" where you have a regular bilge pump and a float switch. The mess from the livewells will only be in a small area then instead of all througout the bilge. Look at my pictures and you will see the white 1 inch hose coming from the front where it is conected with the 2 black hoses.

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:02pm
So are both 'drains' in the livewell 2 way? Also, any way to get the rubber hoses out and new ones on? Mine are there, but they're hardly rubber anymore.

-Ryan
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:07pm
Both of my black hoses were soft and somewhat degraded but both serviceable. The only way to replace them would be to cut out each drain in the live well with a hole saw and pull the old ones out along with the fiberglass cutouts. You would want to attach new hose to the old hose so you could pull it up like pulling wire through conduit. Then you would have to repair the drains in the fish box. Kind of sounds like a ordeal but it wouldn't be that bad. Oh and both drains are a strait shot out no check valves or anything. One of mine was plugged with crap. I hit it with about 100 lbs of air and it shot up and out and made a nasty stain on my shop ceiling. heheh

dave.
1984 Fish Nautique
south haven mi.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:15pm
Dave, This has been an enjoyable thread, we don't talk about fishing boats much here but those fish nautiques are certainly great looking boats. I think I need to drive one sooner or later. Yours looks awesome great work.

redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:21pm
Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I meant when I said hardly rubber: they are so soft it's not funny, but I guess using them as is won't hurt anything until I get the gumption to go ahead and do it over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic