NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

refinish teak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: refinish teak
    Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:23am
Can i just sand and teakoil my teak. Looks like the preavious owner did not do anything. Trying to find things to do since we have 6in of snow here and its 17-32 degrees . Wonderful New Castle PA weather.
SKI79PA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI79PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:24am
Sorry what type of sand paper should i use 80 then 120 then 220 . Thanks for all the help you all have been great
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:46am
A lot of good info HERE.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:36am
Ski79, You don't need to or want to sand it too smooth. I sanded mine with 80 on a palm sander. then scrubbed the grain clean with a mixture of laundry detergent, TSP(trisodium phosphate) and water, to create a paste. scrubbed it in with a stiff brush.then let it dry and applied teak oil until it wouldn't take anymore. Mine came out a lot better than I expected.

the thing with sanding teak is when you sand it it tends to clog up the grain as it becomes pasty   if the grain is filled up with sanding dust the teak oil will not penetrate properly.

there is no need to use finer grits of sandpaper

a lot of info can be found on this site about this subject, that's where I learned
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 4:50pm
I used deck cleaner after I sanded and scrubbed with a bra$$ brush. Then washed it off with water. I used my pressure washer but held it far enough away as to not ruin the wood. You don't need a pressure washer though, just wash it off with a hose nozzle and let it dry completly before using teak oil.
You can see the results on the link that Hollywood posted above. I have put about 4 more coats of teak oil on the deck since then. I will post another picture on that forum when I get it mounted on my boat.
Kurt
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 5:53am
79PA, The key to a good teak refinish is getting it clean and then using a non organic teak oil. If you can remove the teak platform from the boat it is easier to clean and oil . The black / gray is mold and mildew growing on the wood that must be removed otherwise it will come right back. This mold and mildew feeds on traditional organic tung oils that are sold as teak oil. I've seen "quick" teak jobs turn gray-black in less than 2 weeks because it wasn't compleatly cleaned and the mold was simply fed with the tung oil!

Do not use any polurethanes or varnishes for finishing because teak is a oily wood that the hard finishes will not stick to. It may look great to start but will start peelig off in no time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 3:12pm
I found that pressure washing really helps. The last platform I "restored", I pressure washed before sanding (to avoid sanding in the dirt, etc.) then pressure washed again before applying the Amazon Gold teak oil.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 1:18pm
David, Amazon Gold is one of the organic tung oils. I was just wondering how long it lasted. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 1:44pm
Pete ,

thanks for the advice on the oil. I cleaned mine last year and oiled with Amazon. Looked great for about one month and then turned to crap.

I just spent the time to completely dismantle and sand my platform. It's been glued, rea$$embled and washed but not oiled yet so I'll find another oil. Do you have a specific brand you like. I have used Maguire's gold in the past but don't know if it's organic.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 2:42pm
Guys, I've used three or four different oils over the years. Amazon Golden Teak Oil, Starbrite, etc. They all worked about the same. They look good for a short period of time and then start to look like crap again. They are also very slippery the first couple of times they get wet. I finally found some stuff on line at www.marinestore.com that is called TeakGard. The stuff is awesome. I did the initial application about six or seven years ago and it still looks incredible. To keep it up, all you have to do is wash the platform with regular car or boat wash soap, let it dry and rough it up a bit with bronze wool once or twice a season and then apply a couple more coats of the stuff. It takes about an hour total per year to keep it looking great. It's never slippery and since the initial application, I just used up the last of the original bottle. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 6:54pm
You can usually tell the organic tung oils from the smell. They have a nutty odor. The non organics will have more of a solvent smell. I have had great results with West's premium. I put it on a year ago, used it all summer and it still looks good enough that I think I'll wait and see what happens this summer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:39am
I reapply Amazon before each new season. The color and new comes right back. Of course the platform gets a good cleaning with warm soapy water and stiff brush beforehand and I let it dry thouroughly.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:00pm
I've also had good luck with Amazon. I apply 4 or 5 coats, and try to allow at least 24 hours between coats. It lasts pretty well through the season. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:22pm
I moor my boat for 2 months. No matter how good my prep is, or how good the teak looks after it's oiled, it only stays that way for 1 month at most. I use Amazon, also.
I'll have to try unorganic oil.

I have a 1/2 gal. of Teak Guard. It is more of a water based urathane and not an oil. It does a good job on old, tired platforms, but does not look the same as oiled teak. It also tends to peel on newer platforms because they aren't dryed out enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic