NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mustang #1 pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:17pm
I wont take it the wrong way. And if you re-read my earlier post, the stinger does prevent the hull from oil canning and thus effects the ride over chop/waves. And yes, I did not think of how it would effect how the boat sits on a trailer...yes it will provide support in that situation. But, rotten wood might be stuck to the fiberglass, but it is not adding any structural integrity at all.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I am not sure what sparked this discussion now, but if it was me, I would remove the old fiberglass (around stingers) and start fresh. But, I would not worry about whether or not the fiberglass/resin was going to bond to the wood, because it will anyway...any type of wood other than pressure treated.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:33pm
I totally agree on taking it down to clean glass!

I don't particularly care how mine sits on the trailer, but it does demonstrate the rigidity of the hull.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 7:46pm

I really couldn't see how the stringer failed to bond to the fiberglass unless it was intentionally done that way somehow. If I didn't have the floor up to remove the soaked foam,it looks like the stringers would have been okay for a few more years.Water under the bridge now.Anyway I'll feel better knowing exactly what I've got after I'm done.
I'm going to freshen up the fiberglass that's there with a grinder and see how it looks.I called Smith's CPES and talked to the man himself.He told me that I could use it on questionable fiberglass to "fortify" the old glass.I don't think he was just trying to sell me the stuff.He seemed pretty straight forward when talking to him.I used it on the bottom of this boat before the epoxy layers and it really seemed to soak in.

This is a picture of the bottom with Smith's before I had finished the filler coat.
Watch your fingers.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:07am
No offense David, but that is some of the most dangerous advice I have ever heard. The fiberglass on all the stringers on CC's up until at least 89 (and I expect thru 92)is nowhere near as structrually significant as the wood stringer, with the exception of the where it is required to be such as where the wooden stringers are cut down to where they arent high enough to bear the load. The fiberglass is there primarily to attach the wood to the hull. If it isnt doing a good job doing so, the boat isnt as it was designed, and while it might not sink immediatly I sure wouldnt drive it like I drive my boats.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 9:34am
Something does look unusual with the way those stringers came out so easily you can see two small places where the fibreglass adhered. Is there something different about the timber (maybe treated ?). Without the stringers adhering to the hull they would not have been providing very much structural integrity.

Looks like it would be a candidate for "Seacast" as the shell is almost complete.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 11:36am
I thought they should have been attached but what do I know.But,nothing I saw indicated they had been replaced either.The fiberglass surrounding the stringers was missing under the seats just like the factory did and the floor itself was made of fiberglass with the full foam underneith.Seems like a lot of work to not do it right.
And yes,seacast might be an option if I wasn't so d*** cheap.It's fiberglass over fir for this one.   
One more thing.Both my trailers
use the outer secondary stringers to carry the weight of the boat.    Farmer
Watch your fingers.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 12:01pm
The strength value of the wood itself could be tested by putting in wood under the engine only.

Anybody brave enough to test that theory? Look how much materials cost you would save!

When I have to do stringer rebuild (I am sure it's coming), it's overkill for me!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 12:04pm
I'll comment on your choice of BC/CC on the hull    good choice, the clears of today are loaded with UV protectors...and are very durable...why else would you spray it on a car that sits directly in the sun
"the things you own will start to own you"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

No offense David, but that is some of the most dangerous advice I have ever heard.

Just curious as to what dangerous advice I gave. Did I tell anyone not to install the stringers...NO. Are you sure you know what the purpose of the stringers are in a boat, or just guessing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:25pm
we need to start from the basics also and define two words
1 bond
2 encapsulate

on a foam core boat or even a balso core they are not relying on the bonding, they rely on ecapsulating the material for integrity.
in most cases a little of both are used on stringers, the wood is simple a filler and the glass around it is the strength...dont get me wrong the wood too helps.
the Hoover dam doesnt rely on the concrete, it relies on the curvature of dam and the concrete together.
the thought process on stringers is to hold the power in the center on a ski boat, larger boats with the same construction most of the time just run a keel board and no stringers and rely on the 90 degree bends in the hull at the chines for structure. aft engine boats the main stringers generally end at the front of the engine. row boat construction is a good example. stringers are needed to hold the engine firm and its a bonus on a mid engine boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

No offense David, but that is some of the most dangerous advice I have ever heard.

Just curious as to what dangerous advice I gave. Did I tell anyone not to install the stringers...NO. Are you sure you know what the purpose of the stringers are in a boat, or just guessing?

I certainly do not feel Joe is guessing. He went through the strength modulus figures before he did his Coosa board stringer job. Have you? The "advice" you stated was that the fiberglass does all the work and we certainly do not feel that is the case.

Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

It is the fiberglass around the stringers that provides the rigidity for the hull.

The glass and the wood works as a combined system.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:39pm
Eric:

Well said, AMEN!

A Coosa board is NOT a boat hull...not even close...think about it.

The stringers in a fiberglass compostie boat are there primarily to carry the engine.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:52pm

I think I remember seeing a stringer project on a Ski nautique(?) where the stringers went side to side and not front to back. The hull would be supporting the load in that instance.
This was discussed awhile ago and the general concensus was that the older boats had heavier fiberglass layers around the stringers and could support the majority of the weight.The wood stringers were just an attachment point for the motor mounts.
Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:57pm

David,I was typing while you were posting.Looks like we're thinking along the same lines. Gary
Watch your fingers.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 2:58pm
I am not a naval architect, I rarely build or repair boats for a living, however as a card carrying geek sometimes I do FEA on old ski boat hulls before I rebuild them. However, since I am not a navel architect or a designer with years of research and experience building boats rather than assume I know all the loads that could be applied and the ways a boat could fail I instead endeavor to produce a structure that is equal to or stronger than what was originaly designed. Its a basic standard of care that would also be applied when one does something like automotive frame repair.

Of course I do also think about the loads, ... the stringers in some fiberglass boats are there to hold the engine perhaps, in the design of a flat bottom correctcraft that is clearly not the case. The southwind, BFN, or seperator/torino is a different case as it relies more on the V hull shape to bridge the two upright sides and counteract loads that would are applied between the stern and the bow. Those loads include but are not limited to the weight of the engine and anyone/thing in the boat when lifted by the lifting hooks, the dynamicly applied weight of the boat and engine etc while on the trailer, or god forbid when you put the boat on a rock, or into a wall. In addition Ski boats are also a special case where the pylon in the center of the boat needs to be able to hold rediculous louds and transfer them to the prop. What about the load of an 800lb engine when the boat goes from 50 to 0 in a power turn, bolt it directly to the hull without stringers and see if the hull ends up with holes in it. Don't compare the structrual needs of a stern drive, outboard, v drive, etc to a flatbottom inboard its a whole different ball game.

I have taken the stringers out of an older mustang, and broke the hat shaped section in half by hand without a lot of effort, and yes the fiberglass is thicker than the later wood stringered boats. But it was nowhere near the rigidity or strength that it would contribute to the structure of the boat anywhere near what the wood did. I know because I measured and did the calculations and designed a foam cored (not coosa) stringer system that would have the same strength as the wood and fiberglass I took off, and then I added the fiberglass that held it down. Now on an old mustang, which had thicker fiberglass on the stringers, had thicker hulls, and had less flat floor area to span between the vertical walls of the boat and had a pylon that would pull out before you could really load it up, as well as less powerful engines you probably wont die as easily.

However don't get a good bond to a wood stringer on an 80's ski nautique and use the same amount of glass the factory did and then go out and treat it like a ski nautique and you will be lucky not to end up tearing the hull apart.

Bottom line is you can build a similar v8 inboard skiboat boat out of wood without any fiberglass and it will work just fine. Build a pre 93 fiberglass correct craft with everything exactly the same construction except no wood and I dont want a ride.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 3:20pm

Wow.
Watch your fingers.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 3:36pm
as progression evolved, so too did the thoughts on the strength of glass, on the old Chris roamers in the early days of glass the transoms were 4 inches thick, if you go onto a newer Sea-ray you can actually see sun through the side hull. glassing hasnt changed much over the years but the thoughts on its strength have..one on one cases on such as the boats use will be factored in, you would think the strongest boats would need to be the go fasts wave hoppers, they are actually the lightest and least structural built boat, if any boat was to snap in half its one of these. alot of overkill is built in for liability reasons cause one good lawsuit could kill a company, thats factored in...many variables, obviously in an mid engine you want the most structure in the middle in an aft engine you want the structure in the rear because in the non weight baring areas they rely on the fiberglass...of course when you rebuild a boat you too build in overkill as you should whether it be wood or coosa........anythings better than rotted wood that supported the boat for a few years prior i would imagine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 4:04pm
I learned to board on a mariah I/O before I bought my '79. It was on open bow and the center windshield would fall through in big water. I think the edge/lip was about 3/4".
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

I think I remember seeing a stringer project on a Ski nautique(?) where the stringers went side to side and not front to back. The hull would be supporting the load in that instance.

Gary,
This method was used on the Torino/Separator with a V drive engine/trans but just like Joe mentioned, these were V hulls with the V giving the hull strength.

Joe,
Lets not forget with the flat bottoms of our ski boats that the stringers maintain alignment between the engine and the strut too. Eric would be real busy with bad trans's without the stringers there!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 4:43pm
Okay,that makes sense. A v-hull would be better able to handle the stress do to the steeper angle of the hull.
Watch your fingers.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

on a foam core boat or even a balso core they are not relying on the bonding, they rely on ecapsulating the material for integrity.
in most cases a little of both are used on stringers, the wood is simple a filler and the glass around it is the strength...dont get me wrong the wood too helps.

Eric,
The basic principle of a balsa core boat in the core maintains the spacing and the glass skins are under compression/tension. The same method used for "SIP's" (structural insulation panels) in home and light commercial building. This is a different principle from the typical wood stringered glass hull.

Here's a Boston Whaler with wood skins!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 6:03pm
that boat looks like my skylark with the wood removed from the glass , I took fir fit it in the void you see in that boat I coated everything with epoxy and resin to seal the fir after fitting to the boat, then i mixed a slow set epoxy resin and poured it into the hull brushed it onto the sides of the old, glass . set the new stringers into that and let it set then i used cloth to put new caps on . could that be strong enough and last a while? it seemed to really bond to those walls of glass...Peter
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 6:38pm

That's exactly what I have in mind.There is nothing wrong with fiberglass that's there.If I use epoxy inside with the stringer and one more layer of glass/epoxy over it ,then it should be much less apt to absorb moisture and that much stronger than the original thickness. I will also treat the wood with CPES before installing into the glass channel.
Watch your fingers.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 7:03pm
Knowing nothing about engineering I would rebuild figuring the wood was most important when I built the stringers and then the bond an glass where most important when I put them in.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 11:10pm
Farmer - You might want to figure out a way to clamp the walls of of glass to your new stringers. The epoxy is strongest when it is in a thin layer, so you don't want to fill big gaps without filler like mat or cloth.

Maybe have 2x4's on each side & lots of C clamps? Or lots of deck screws!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Farmer - You might want to figure out a way to clamp the walls of of glass to your new stringers. The epoxy is strongest when it is in a thin layer, so you don't want to fill big gaps without filler like mat or cloth.

Maybe have 2x4's on each side & lots of C clamps? Or lots of deck screws!

Chris is absolutely correct. You need to think of resin as the adhesive for the glass. It's really the glass that gives the fiberglass it's strength.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 12:48am

Yes that's a good idea.I'll try to size the stringer to fit the fiberglass channel,then clamp it along the sides.
Watch your fingers.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 11:12pm

Went to my local lumber yard yesterday.Their framing lumber is Doug fir but I couldn't find any that was quarter sawn with no heartwood.I'm going to look around some more before I try to make do with a couple of those.
Watch your fingers.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2009 at 9:52am
Gary (and others),
I feel you may be looking too much at the Doug Fir that Greg (buffaloBFN) ended up with! He couldn't find construction grade Fir in his area and had to go "top shelf" with a specialty lumber yard. The Fir he ended up with was 8/4 finish (select) that I'm sure he paid dearly for! (I can't remember if he ever posted his cost on the Fir) It's really overkill. Construction grade is fine as long as they will allow you to hand pick some nice pieces. Don't worry about it being quarter sawn of riff cut as well as it having some heart wood. Look for some fairly straight grain and some small tight knots in the middle are fine. Even some wane is fine because you'll be trimming edges anyway. The biggest concern would be the moisture content. If the yard you're dealing with knows the % great. They may even have a meter to check it out. Out of the yard, it shouldn't be over about 12%. Then, if you can leave it sit for a couple of weeks in a warm dry area, it would be even greater and should take it down to less than 8%.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2009 at 10:40am
Pete, are you bustin my chops again?

I paid $2.875/bf   It is 8/4 select like Pete said but not quarter sawn. It's just regular or plank cut.

I wasn't able to hand-pick, but they did let me refuse 1 piece they brought out.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic